In your opinion, can a Christian believe in universal salvation? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:31:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  In your opinion, can a Christian believe in universal salvation? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: In your opinion, can a Christian believe in universal salvation?  (Read 1483 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: April 27, 2017, 01:12:23 PM »

There are plenty of Purgatorial Universalists out there... I don't believe in it as I think it denies human free will and contradicts a number of Jesus's statements, but that doesn't mean a Christian can't believe in it; there are far more egregious things out there some Christians believe in.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:09:25 PM »

None of my business of course, but I'm convinced that belief in it is the fundamental requirement for Christianity to be morally sound. I just can't reconcile any other view with my idea of good and evil. Even the free will argument doesn't really make any sense to me.

Why should God force salvation on someone who knowingly rejects it?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 07:43:52 PM »

None of my business of course, but I'm convinced that belief in it is the fundamental requirement for Christianity to be morally sound. I just can't reconcile any other view with my idea of good and evil. Even the free will argument doesn't really make any sense to me.

Why should God force salvation on someone who knowingly rejects it?

2. after death, either some people don't love God so God's light seems to "burn" them while the same light brings bliss to others...

This is essentially the Eastern Orthodox belief regarding the nature of Hell. In essence, the only difference between Hell and purgatory is that one is permanent and the other temporary.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A couple of issues: First, the only way this can even work is if we assume temporal causality and the nature of human choice extends outside our plane of existence, as it were. I'm not sure that's really consistent with traditional Christian thought; generally, our decisions are thought to more or less "set" into place at the time of death.

Second, God torturing people into submitting to and "loving" Him might be even worse and more malevolent than eternal separation/other theories of Hell; also, this seems to contradict so many other points regarding free will and the point of Jesus and faith that I'm not even sure where to begin. If God will just torture everyone or overpower them into loving Him in the end, what's the point in everything else He's done? What's the point in free will? What's the point in belief? What's the point in Jesus's death? Can such a God really be called just? Such an outcome seems to strip away any sense of responsibility for one's actions... I just can't see it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies