In your opinion, can a Christian believe in universal salvation? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:43:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  In your opinion, can a Christian believe in universal salvation? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: In your opinion, can a Christian believe in universal salvation?  (Read 1459 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 27, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »

Of course!  A Christian can theoretically believe a whole lot of things.  One of my favorite pastors I've ever had stated he did not believe in Hell, as he couldn't reconcile the God he'd come to believe in sending anyone there ... I suppose that doesn't explicitly endorse "universal salvation," but it kind of implies it.
Not necessarily. He could be an annihilationist who believes that the wicked will be utterly destroyed at the second coming rather than condemned to eternal burning.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 10:14:13 PM »

That's one of those questions that depends on how you define words. It simply depends on how you define "Christian". "Universalism" has long been considered a heresy by many Christians, of course.

A Unitarian is someone who believes that he or she is to good to be damned, while a Universalist believes that "god" is too good to damn anyone. These days there are many Unitarian Universalists who choose not to call themselves "Christian", although, of course, some still do.

Technically, a classical Unitarian held that the Father came first, with the Christ and the Holy Spirit both proceeding from the Father, yet before the Universe we inhabit came to be.  But yeah, they got a bit wishy-washy IMO and came to hold that all forms of the Divine are united into a single Unitarian whole. At least around here, I'd say that a minority of UUs consider themselves Christian, unless one includes those who think Jesus was a great teacher/philosopher/rabbi but not necessarily Divine himself. (Or at least no more than any other person might have the potential to be Divine.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies