Teenagers between 13-16; how do parents deal with them when they are bad
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:06:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Teenagers between 13-16; how do parents deal with them when they are bad
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Teenagers between 13-16; how do parents deal with them when they are bad  (Read 1751 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2005, 10:09:25 AM »
« edited: August 03, 2005, 10:12:10 AM by Give Someone a Hug Today »

I have no idea.

From the previous topic on corporal punishment, i had a suggestion that could prevent it but wouldn't work with kids over 13.

So anybody with expeirence or seen how its done, how do you deal with them when they are bad.

I remember a women from Texas who phoned the police as she couldn't control her 14 year old child. The irresponsible police officer replied over the phone 'do you want me to come over and shoot them'.

But single moms and a braindead teen how do you teach them discipline or do the parents leave it to the outside world to sort them out?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 10:11:05 AM »

Well, first off, if you didn't use some sort of proper discipline when your teen was a kid, you're going to have a hard time of it when they are a teen.

As to how to punish a teen, my parents usually would ground me for a week, no tv, no video games.
MissCatholic

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 10:11:58 AM »

Well, first off, if you didn't use some sort of proper discipline when your teen was a kid, you're going to have a hard time of it when they are a teen.

As to how to punish a teen, my parents usually would ground me for a week, no tv, no video games.

what about single moms that can be over powered/bullied?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 10:14:46 AM »

what about single moms that can be over powered/bullied?

A real problem - as I said, if you haven't raised your child to be respectful of you at this point it'll be a problem no matter what. The only advice I can get here is to get a strong boyfriend or husband who you can trust.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 10:21:46 AM »

...?

There's never really any need for me to be punished O_O
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 11:13:13 AM »

Agreed.  Like with anything, you have to build the foundation from which to work off of.  If you did not teach the child respect and responsibility when they were young, it will be harder to do so when they are older.  So, with that being the case, you need to "study" what the teenager is like now to determine what the proper punishment should be (since spanking is a hard thing to do on a teenager).  Like I said in the other thread, and Dibble above, I tell my nephew he's not allowed to use my X-box when he spends the Summer with me.  Unfortunately, he's a kid with great imagination, so he can keep himself occupied for hours when forced to sit idle.  There's only been one time where he's gotten out of hand and I had to truly punish him, so I sent him outside to mow my lawn with the push mower (the lawn is over an acre in size with a lot of slopes and hills).  Now while that might have caused resentment later, he was too tired to express it.  (Which is probably why I was sent outside more than I was to my room as a kid.)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 11:16:48 AM »

My parents never really punished me at that age, they would just yell at me.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 11:20:24 AM »

My parents never really punished me at that age, they would just yell at me.

If done right, a good lecture can be suitable punishment - instills guilt for misbehavior. One time I did something wrong, got a lecture, and willingly grounded myself from videogames for a week.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 11:33:53 AM »

Denying food?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 11:54:29 AM »

You take their stuff away. TV, computer, video games, stereo, etc goes in a closet. You then make them go outside and entertain themselves. Works perfectly.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 12:07:44 PM »

Hit them harder!

Anyways, if your kid is 16 and still don't have discipline in him, you failed as a parent.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 12:10:16 PM »

Hit them harder!

Anyways, if your kid is 16 and still don't have discipline in him, you failed as a parent.

DOn't you believe that people aren inherently bad?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 12:12:50 PM »

Hit them harder!

I believe people are inherently bad, yes, but I also believe that with the proper upbringing and discipline it can be controlled to an extent.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 12:17:17 PM »

Depends on the family.  My parents never really did anything with me other than yelling.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 12:24:28 PM »

Hit them harder!

I don't.  I think that everyone can be "saved" from being "bad."  Discipline and Responsibility are the normal characteristics lost in people who have gone bad, yet they can be taught.  It's just a lot harder as the person grows older.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 12:35:25 PM »

Hit them harder!

I believe people are inherently bad, yes, but I also believe that with the proper upbringing and discipline it can be controlled to an extent.

I believe there is an old saying that goes "What the craddle gives, only the grave takes."
If the person doesn't have the will to dominate her will, I don't think otehrs can do it for him. Hold it back, sure, but without proper self-conrol, the pressure may be too hard.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 05:04:47 PM »

...?

There's never really any need for me to be punished O_O

Lol. Same here. Tongue
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 08:48:12 PM »

I think parents have to have established some level of discipline before their kids reach the teenage years.  If the kid is out of control at 10, you'll never be able to discipline him/her at 15.

The reality is that parents have very little control, but they have to make the kids think they do.  Discipline cannot be based only on punishment.  There has to be an underlying positive relationship between parent and child for discipline to be effective.  Without that, kids can render the parents powerless to enforce discipline, and all the beatings in the world can't fix it.

Within the context of a positive relationship, the best thing parents can do is take away privileges when their teenager does something wrong.  Grounding, denial of television, stereo and telephone privileges, etc. work pretty well, and hit them where it hurts.  I'd be less inclined to hit at that age, but may do so under extreme circumstances.

Kids have to know that you love them, but that there will be negative consequences for misbehavior.  Punishment that is too weak is counterproductive because it gives the kid the satisfaction of overcoming it, and encourages more misbehavior.  Whatever you do, it has to hurt.
MonkeyPooo4U
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 11:06:06 PM »

At a yound age you have to teach the child to respect you.  If your child respects your authority and understands that you only have thier best interest in mind it makes dicipline much easier.
It is also important to establish a loving relationship.  If you have established a reciprocative loving relationship with your children they will respect and obey you.
If a teenage child would consider overpowering or bullying their parent as a way of circumventing discipline, then love and respect was probably not established at a young age.
And if all else fails parents should still have the power of the purse, and be able to deprive a teen as mentioned in previous posts.  However, reducing familial affection to monetary rewards isn't the best idea.  The love thing works better.  Establish that at an early age so your kid wants to respect your rules.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies