Capitalism = Communism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:52:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Capitalism = Communism?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Capitalism = Communism?  (Read 2534 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2005, 09:30:22 PM »

You're saying, "Let's assume X things will happen under pure capitalism. Okay, therefore, X things will happen under pure capitalism."

I actually don't believe that any of the things stated will happen under pure capitalism. I am just saying that through this hypothetical scenario that Joe put forward we can see the two extreme's of Communism and Capitalism converging to become the same. That's all. 

That's true only if you accept the premise. I don't, and therefore I don't agree that the two could converge in the extremes to become the same.

An acceptable arguement against it.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2005, 09:31:15 PM »

For all the ballyhoo about ugly Communist apartment blocks, I think the architecture of modern American capitalism - strip malls, highways, tract homes, office parks, is even more dehumanizing.  Fast food and chains of all kinds also suggest a homogenization of choice by large, impersonal organizations.  Really in practice it is hard to see a great deal of difference 'on the ground' between Capitalism and Communism, though no doubt the inequality was less severe under the latter.

Roll Eyes

Too opebo and all who read this, this will be my official response to everything opebo says for the time being.

Look around yourself man, the country is completely homogenized and awful.  The only areas that look different at all are the ghettos and the neighborhoods in which the Owning Class resides.

Roll Eyes
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 09:48:12 PM »

This situation is so fundamentally flawed, it's hilarious that anyone is actually embracing it as if it could ever come about, even if you eradicated government altogether.

Its a hypothetical scenario used to highlight the possible extreme that laissez-faire capitalism could be taken to.

In any case, what would the computer software industry be like now if Microsoft had never suffered the consequences of anti-trust legislation?

How bad was it before that happened? As I recall it was much like today.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies