Pope Francis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:45:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope Francis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Pope Francis  (Read 4645 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »

There's been tons of stuff written about his takes on Western/European issues. Does anyone know what stances he's been taking on issues in other regions? e.g. The rise of Pentecostalism in Latin America or the Chinese government's antagonistic attitude towards Christianity.

On the rise of Pentecostalism, Pope Francis seems to think the issue leading to it is a general disconnect between Catholic priests and the laity. That is part of his continual denouncement of "clericalism" and "rigidity". As an American (Estadounidense) his condemnations often appear like he's living on a different planet, but there are places in Latin America (I'm told anyway) where priests are treated with a near-worshipful attitude. This is a broader part of his view that the Church needs to be with the people rather than for the people.

On China, Pope Francis has generally taken the approach of trying to work with the government rather than opposing it.

That's an interesting explanation about Latin American clerics. It makes much more sense than considering Francis in a Western context. If I had to use one word to describe Catholicism in my diocese, it would be 'halfassed'. The Pope decrying rigidity was confusing given my experience, but this makes much more sense.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies