What would an extremely competent Trump presidency look like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:17:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What would an extremely competent Trump presidency look like?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would an extremely competent Trump presidency look like?  (Read 1258 times)
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »

Let's say that instead of Trump being a rambling incoherent buffoon, he's actually a very competent and knowledgable leader with a clear ideology.

I think he'd actually be quite popular if this were the case.

I envision him governing as a true outsider with both liberal and conservative tendencies. I could see infrastructure being his first major legislative effort. This version of Trump would actually want to make deals and would probably work hard to get a bipartisan bill through the House that could realistically pass in the Senate.

Not being beholden his party, he would probably bypass and alienate the freedom caucus in favor of legislative coalition of more moderate Democrats and Republicans.

I believe that an extremely competent Trump would have the potential to become a Reagan like figure for the Republican party, effectively beating his party into submission and establishing a new Republican ideology. Trumpism, if you will.

He would also have the potential to really transform America's healthcare system in ways Obama never could. This Trump would still want to "repeal and replace" Obamacare, but his goal would still be to provide healthcare for everyone. This is an issue where I could see Trump effectively b-slapping Paul Ryan and a lot of Republicans in favor of working with Democrats.

The whole prospect of a competent Trump presidency is extremely interesting to me, and I find it to be quite a fun thought experiment.

What are your thoughts?

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 04:28:28 PM »

Let's say that instead of Trump being a rambling incoherent buffoon, he's actually a very competent and knowledgable leader with a clear ideology.

I envision him governing as a true outsider with both liberal and conservative tendencies. I could see infrastructure being his first major legislative effort. This version of Trump would actually want to make deals and would probably work hard to get a bipartisan bill through the House that could realistically pass in the Senate.

Not being beholden his party, he would probably bypass and alienate the freedom caucus in favor of legislative coalition of more moderate Democrats and Republicans.

I believe that an extremely competent Trump would have the potential to become a Reagan like figure for the Republican party, effectively beating his party into submission and establishing a new Republican ideology. Trumpism, if you will.

He would also have the potential to really transform America's healthcare system in ways Obama never could. This Trump would still want to "repeal and replace" Obamacare, but his goal would still be to provide healthcare for everyone. This is an issue where I could see Trump effectively b-slapping Paul Ryan and a lot of Republicans in favor of working with Democrats.

The whole prospect of a competent Trump presidency is extremely interesting to me, and I find it to be quite a fun thought experiment.

What are your thoughts?

I agree with your thoughts. This is the Trump, I wish was President, instead of the clown show we have now,
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 04:31:58 PM »

Richard Nixon 2.0
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »

What are your thoughts?

I think this would be pretty nice. While it can be entertaining to read some of his tweets, they don't exactly give off the vibe of "hey, I'm the president of the world's only superpower".
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:17:53 PM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 01:25:40 PM »

What are your thoughts?

This was the Trump I was really hoping for.

I said back during the campaign that Trump would either be America's best or worst president, it looks like he's gunning for the latter.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »

Competent presidencies don't have their National Security Advisers last less than a month.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »

On his first day in office, President Trump would grab China by the pussy and say he won't let go until they won't stop causing s**t with their artificial islands. After China initially refuses, Trump would tighten his grip to the point of complete dominance. High energy!
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 08:39:57 PM »

This is the sort of Trump I could support. But it was plainly obvious from early in the campaign that he was never going to be that kind of Trump, and the whole "I'm a great dealmaker" line (to the extent it was even used) was just a trick to get voters who cheer at any mention of the word "bipartisan" or similar.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 09:22:48 PM »

That's pretty much what Trump is
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »

An extremely competent Trump presidency would be extremely successful.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »

He's not Richard Nixon. This is a terrible understanding of the Nixon Presidency and a gross insult to Nixon. Nixon was a moderate amoral non-ideological Republican who cared only about enacting a foreign policy (and cared next to nothing about domestic policy) but was a highly keen and able interpreter of American political currents from the 1940s to the 1970s.

Trump aspires to the Nixon presidency as envisioned by Roger Stone, but by no stretch is Donald Trump Richard Nixon. Except maybe in committing indictable offenses!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies