Opinion of this House of Cards electoral map? (Possible spoilers)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:52:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of this House of Cards electoral map? (Possible spoilers)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of this electoral map?
FM

HM

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Opinion of this House of Cards electoral map? (Possible spoilers)  (Read 2726 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »

Note: I'm REALLY unsure if this is the right board for it, just found no other board where it would remotely make sense. Feel free to move this wherever.

So, House of Cards released their Season 5 trailer, and naturally, I caught the electoral map they put in there. Possible spoilers follow:

What do you think of this map, in terms of how plausible it is? I'd say it's semi-plausible. Since this is a 2016 election, Iowa should probably go Republican if Ohio is tossup, but if they wanted to make Underwood the populist with Conway the establishment candidate (the fact that Conway won Colorado and Nevada indicates that), they should probably have given Underwood Ohio and made Virginia tossup. Alternatively, they shouldn't have given Conway Colorado and Nevada, instead perhaps giving him Iowa or making Colorado/Nevada tossup.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 10:39:28 AM »

How the hell does Underwood capture West Virginia but neither of the Carolinas?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »

How the hell does Underwood capture West Virginia but neither of the Carolinas?
He does? Damn, didn't notice. Yeah, definitely the weirdest part in the map. If he's populist enough to win there, Ohio should be his.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »

WV is completely unrealistic but the rest of the map makes sense. I can see Colorado voting to the right of Ohio or Pennsylvania in a Conway vs Underwoord race. But Virginia probably should be Republican in this scenario.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »

Surprisingly good.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »

I love how both candidates lose their home states.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 12:52:57 PM »

It's possible that this is a campaign projection, and not the results coming in on election night.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »

Hey, at least its more accurate than the typical crackpot EV maps from movies/shows, like the West Wing's abortion of a map.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »

Hey, at least its more accurate than the typical crackpot EV maps from movies/shows, like the West Wing's abortion of a map.

My brain is still recovering from seeing their 2006 map.
mieastwick
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »

This is basically 2012 with the Dems becoming the party of coal again.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 02:14:38 PM »

It's possible that this is a campaign projection, and not the results coming in on election night.

Ah, you're right. I wouldn't mind if it's a close election night with Ohio and Pennsylvania deciding everything, though, it sounds like the most interesting option.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »

My brain is still recovering from seeing their 2006 map.

I need an adult
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »

I don't like how Underwood is a Democrat. It's like, South Carolina, the Civil War reenactors, perfect for a GOP Presidency. But no, Hollywood / Netflix had to make him a Democrat. Anyway, since Underwood is a Democrat, and they may renew for Season 6, it's clear Underwood wins either Ohio or Pennsylvania.

For once, I wish there would be a political show around a Republican White House, something like a Rubio Presidency. But Hollywood can't have that, lol.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 04:04:16 PM »

I don't like how Underwood is a Democrat. It's like, South Carolina, the Civil War reenactors, perfect for a GOP Presidency. But no, Hollywood / Netflix had to make him a Democrat. Anyway, since Underwood is a Democrat, and they may renew for Season 6, it's clear Underwood wins either Ohio or Pennsylvania.

For once, I wish there would be a political show around a Republican White House, something like a Rubio Presidency. But Hollywood can't have that, lol.

I think the issue is that if they made the satanic Underwood a Republican it would have prompted a backlash from conservatives
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »

This is true.  There should be a serious dramatic show about a Republican White House.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »

Designated Survivor is going to have a republican Vice President
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 05:03:20 PM »

I think the issue is that if they made the satanic Underwood a Republican it would have prompted a backlash from conservatives

"Satanic"?

Underwood is not a demagogue or ideologue - he's just someone who likes power and is overly ambitious.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »

RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 05:16:12 PM »

"Satanic"?

Underwood is not a demagogue or ideologue - he's just someone who likes power and is overly ambitious.

Ummm... have you seen the series all the way through?  Not sure if srs. 

He's clearly an extremely bad person willing to do any number of horrible things to have power.  That's way, way worse than an ideologue IMO.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »

"Satanic"?

He's clearly an extremely bad person willing to do any number of horrible things to have power.  That's way, way worse than an ideologue IMO.

And most importantly, Satanic or not, Conservatives would be crying bloody-subway murder if he was labeled a Republican.

Which is interesting, since of course in the UK version Francis Urquhart is the kind of Tory who probably wanted to roll back the emancipation of peasants in his heart of hearts.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 05:50:11 PM »

Urquhart (the main character from the original version) also was a conservative so it would have made sense if Underwood was a Republican. I suppose they made him a Democrat because House of Cards viewers probably just lean Democrat.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 06:09:30 PM »

"Satanic"?

Yes, but everyone recognizes this is bad. He has killed people for getting in his way.

Ideologues and demagogues are subtle. You hear narrow-minded partisans all the time who are average citizens, and the fault for this lies not in our stars but in our leaders. Demagogues and ideologies have ruined tens of millions of minds and both sides, and not one major person has attempted to step forwards and declare this. Healing is needed. Once the truth about Underwood is known, the audience sees him for what he is. Knowing the truth of demagogues and ideologues helps no one understand how bad they are.

My point is that Republicans wouldn't be in up in arms because he doesn't constantly debate issues but rather try to triangulate issues and people for power.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 06:38:34 PM »

It's a good contrast to the staunchly conservative Urquhart, and ftr, it's not like anyone's ever done a Jesse Jackson or Bernie Sanders or Howard Dean-esque WH either.

Also when you have all the mythos of Bill and Hillary Clinton, and you have a good historic record of all sorts of things Dixiecrats did to maneuver their way to the tops of Congress, and you have the mythos of Lyndon Johnson...why would you go back some mere Republican?

Nixon's been done to death, Rocky's too obscure, Mitch McConnell is too boring, and Ted Cruz is too similar to Urquhart to be interesting.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 07:40:49 PM »

I really got tired with House of Cards after they offed Zoey. The original got me going more.

Also, is Underwood going to commit mass voter fraud now? Seriously?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »

Wasn't his district represented by a Democrat until relatively recently??  It's not like Underwood is new to politics, and it's not outrageous that he's a Southern Democrat.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies