Better to have a leader who caters to what people think or what people feel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:53:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Better to have a leader who caters to what people think or what people feel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Better to have a leader who caters to what people think or to what people feel?
What people THINK

What people FEEL

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Better to have a leader who caters to what people think or what people feel?  (Read 928 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:03:31 PM »
« edited: May 01, 2017, 10:01:51 PM by Blue3 »

Let me explain...

Is it better to have a leader who

1. tries to rationally persuade people to think in a way that agrees, and then acts with a consensus
(or doesn't persuade, but waits or only acts if there's a consensus of what people think)

(a leader who caters to what people think)

2. tries to find out what would make people happy (with themselves, their lives, their country, the world, etc.) and does everything he/she can to make it happen (even if sometimes doing something people don't think they want to do, unpopular in the short-term)

(a leader who caters to what people feel)

It seems to me that a leader who caters to what people THINK may be very rational and consensus-driven, but since people are usually emotion-driven, won't actually accomplish much and sometimes the consensus of the time will be thought to be wrong in future generations (ex: slavery). Less likely to think they made a mistake and try to change.

A leader who is this way (thinking over feeling) seems, to me, like they'd be more concerned with
the democratic process. For example, in a choice between democratic process or human rights, they'd probably choose democratic process (feel free to disagree). Less empathetic and less likely to accomplish much, but more likely to be self-restrained.

"It's important that we stick to the process, there is no consensus on single-payer healthcare, so even if many strongly believe it would make people feel happier and live better lives once it happens, I will not support it unless the people can agree."

A leader that values what you think, not as much what you feel.

It also seems to me that a leader who caters to what people FEEL would be very empathetic and intuitive and charismatic, but could be "hit or miss." Sometimes they could be very right about what will make people happier and their lives better. They also have the potential to be very wrong about what will make people happier and their lives better... but if they did see they made a mistake, more flexible and eager to fix it.

A leader who thinks this way (feeling over thinking) seems, to me, like they'd be more concerned with taking moral stands and doing what's right over what's popular. For example, in a choice between human rights and a democratic process, they'd choose human rights. More empathetic, but more likely to take the "philosopher-king" route.

"I know better than they do about what would make them happier, the people from West Virginia and Mississippi are voting against their own interests and are too ignorant to see it, I want to make them happy and healthy and they will prosper from single-payer healthcare too. Just like how they originally opposed Social Security but now love it."

A leader that values what you feel, not as much what you think.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:43:45 PM »

The way this is phrased makes me think of T vs F on the MBTI. My preference would be towards the former type, but I must agree that such a leader would not be very effective in practice given how irrational most voters are.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:48:31 PM »

This is a false dichotomy insofar as rational thought proceeds from emotion and cannot be understood without reference to it.

I guess option 2, then.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 06:20:55 PM »

A powerful mind is nothing without a powerful heart. For the one flavor is so strong, it should, nay, must be balanced with the other or else ruin the consumer's appetite.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »

In 2016 it would seem that Trump ran as a feelings-oriented leader and HRC ran as a thinking-oriented leader. Now as President I would argue that Trump leads from a position of what he senses people are feeling, not from a position of making a rational case for a policy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 10:40:51 PM »

In 2016 it would seem that Trump ran as a feelings-oriented leader and HRC ran as a thinking-oriented leader. Now as President I would argue that Trump leads from a position of what he senses people are feeling, not from a position of making a rational case for a policy.

T***p is clearly almost entirely incapable of empathy, so to the extent that he did appeal to people's feelings, it was for purely opportunistic purposes.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »

T***p is clearly almost entirely incapable of empathy, so to the extent that he did appeal to people's feelings, it was for purely opportunistic purposes.

I think the problem here is that "rationality" vs "compassion" is a false dichotomy. Trying to act in a way that you consider logical does not make you heartless, and lacking in compassion does not necessarily make you rational.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »

I think the problem here is that "rationality" vs "compassion" is a false dichotomy. Trying to act in a way that you consider logical does not make you heartless, and lacking in compassion does not necessarily make you rational.

That's exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »

Of course, and I know that. But I'm saying IF there was a choice between the two...
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 08:35:14 PM »

That's exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post.

Oh, I missed that post, so I guess we agree. Tongue
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »

Of course, and I know that. But I'm saying IF there was a choice between the two...
Thought may be faulty. Emotions are always truth. This is a similar reason that of the other two quadrants, wisdom and physical, wisdom must always be chosen.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies