Vox Populi - 1975 Welsh and Scottish Devolution Referendums
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:28:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Vox Populi - 1975 Welsh and Scottish Devolution Referendums
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should a Scottish and a Welsh Assembly be created?
WELSH ASSEMBLY - Yes
WELSH ASSEMBLY - No
SCOTTISH ASSEMBLY - Yes
SCOTTISH ASSEMBLY - No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Vox Populi - 1975 Welsh and Scottish Devolution Referendums  (Read 1094 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »

August 1975 - The SNP and Plaid spearhead devolution referendums

Unable to find other partners to form a government, Labour leader Peter Shore decided to make a deal with the Scottish National Party and Plaid Cymru to secure a supply and confidence arrangement to give him a (bare) majority on key votes. While highly controversial among many Labour MP's, the deal was finally closed after giving several consessions to both nationalist parties and, more importantly, key referendums on devolution for Scotland and Wales to be held during the second half of that year. Prime Minister Shore got to work, and despite a significant revolt among Scottish and Welsh Labour MP's Liberal support ensured the Government's proposals for both referendums survived. Wales and Scotland would therefore now vote on:

Basic Proposal: A limited Scottish Assembly and a Welsh Assembly, both taking control over several areas of domestic policy and having a "First Secretary" as an executive (replacing the Secretaries of State of Wales and Scotland). Both legislatures bodies will be elected via FPTP.

Yes Campaign: Leading the Yes side is the Scottish National Party in Scotland and Plaid Cymru in Wales, the first regarding it a stepping stone towards independence and the second as a key goal and accomplishment for the region. Supporting them as well is the Liberal Party under Eric Lubbock, and the majority of the Labour Party under Prime Minister Shore. This side argues Wales and Scotland deserve a devolved administration as shown by the voters in the past two General Elections, and that these Assemblies would strengthen the United Kingdom.

No Campaign: Leading the No Campaign is Enoch Powell and the Conservative Party, taking a staunch unionist line by arguing that both regions do not need these devolved assemblies. Powell and the Conservatives have attempted to make the case that in Scotland this would only lead to give more support to the independence cause of the SNP and lead to the inevitable break-up of the United Kingdom. Also supporting a No vote in a separate manner are the National Labour MP's and a minority of the Labour Party (some Callaghanites and some regional MP's), as well as hardline nationalists who find the proposals too weak.

Two days for this one.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 11:48:48 PM »

Yes! The Liberals are the party of neither strict unionism nor independence but rather the party of devolution.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 04:42:18 AM »

No in both Cymru and Alba.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 09:26:47 AM »

Yes
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »

Yes for Wales, No for Scotland
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 02:27:34 PM »

Was there anything like the 40% threshold imposed on results as IRL?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »

Was there anything like the 40% threshold imposed on results as IRL?

There was, to avoid a deeper conflict inside Labour. But with the SNP and Plaid having such a large vote share, the thresholds will be met.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »

I think your polls in the general election artificially overinflate PC and SNP's scores, because even a handful of votes automatically hit the threshold to max their seats. It would probably be better if you had two polls in the general election, one for England, and one for Scotland + Wales.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »

I think your polls in the general election artificially overinflate PC and SNP's scores, because even a handful of votes automatically hit the threshold to max their seats. It would probably be better if you had two polls in the general election, one for England, and one for Scotland + Wales.

I was concerned about that happening, and to be fair it has. Two polls would be too much for my taste, really, so I'm trying to think of penalties or limits to be imposed.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 03:36:07 PM »

I was concerned about that happening, and to be fair it has. Two polls would be too much for my taste, really, so I'm trying to think of penalties or limits to be imposed.
Perhaps having an English and Scottish+Welsh poll being part of the same vote with voters having two votes; as you've done here?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »

Tha/Ie
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 04:00:41 PM »

...Huh  This position seems incredibly hypocritical...
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 04:25:31 PM »

Perhaps having an English and Scottish+Welsh poll being part of the same vote with voters having two votes; as you've done here?

While a better option than the first, I still think that's too much of a problem. I think I might consider the 1972 and January 1975 voteshare of Plaid and the SNP and then grade it appropiately (x% of total votes = x% of the Scottish/Welsh vote to account for their past results.

I don't mind exploring a far more successful Plaid and SNP, though, it hasn't really broken things so far despite the past two parliaments being hung.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »

...Huh  This position seems incredibly hypocritical...

Yes (I'm role-playing)
mencken
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »

Yes, so long as England (and Northern Ireland) also get their own assemblies, with analogous jurisdiciton.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »

No for both.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 09:36:46 PM »

Scottish and Welsh assemblies pass with a strong majority. Shore manages to carry on with Nationalist support until 1978.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 09:46:22 PM »

FTR, I voted Yes for Scotland and No for Wales in an attempt to mirror the 1979 result. So much for my cunning plan...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies