Joe Walsh Tweets About Jimmy Kimmel’s ‘Sad Story,’ Gets Ripped Apart
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:36:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Walsh Tweets About Jimmy Kimmel’s ‘Sad Story,’ Gets Ripped Apart
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you concur or sympathize with Joe Walsh's sentiments?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Joe Walsh Tweets About Jimmy Kimmel’s ‘Sad Story,’ Gets Ripped Apart  (Read 2511 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
« edited: May 03, 2017, 10:45:36 AM by J_American »

Huffington Post

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Guardian attempted to provide a satirical take on all of this.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »

Walsh has always been trash, This isn't surprising.
kyc0705

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »

I believe Kimmel said that "no decent person" would disagree with the concept that your income should not affect whether or not your child will live. So far, he's right.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:44:05 AM »

I believe Kimmel said that "no decent person" would disagree with the concept that your income should not affect whether or not your child will live. So far, he's right.

I mean, Joe Walsh cares A LOT about his kids! Not enough to pay child support but still!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »

I actually started listening to Joe Walsh again this week. He's still sucks at radio, but he's improved significantly since I stopped listening to him last year.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 01:09:45 PM »

Millionaire Jimmy Kimmel talking down to us isn't going to bode well next year. You all haven't learned a thing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »

He's right in the sense that pathos appeals are non-arguments and should be systematically disregarded. Affordable healthcare certainly is still important, but Jimmy Kimmel contributed nothing here.
kyc0705

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2017, 04:13:59 PM by kyc0705 »

Millionaire Jimmy Kimmel talking down to us isn't going to bode well next year. You all haven't learned a thing.

How is he talking down to you? He is presumably aware that universal healthcare or a similar system would mean people like him would pay more in taxes.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »

Between this and your post on the Kentucky stabbing, I'm surprised I haven't put you on my ignore list yet. Time to fix that.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »

How is he talking down to you? He is presumably aware that universal healthcare or a similar system would mean people like him would pay more in taxes?

Yeah I'll be the first to call out pretentious liberal yuppies talking down to middle America but Kimmel's monologue was heartfelt and did not convey any level of smugness at all.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »

Joe Walsh still hasn't paid his tens of thousands in child support for the children he abandoned so it's no surprise an emotional appeal using children didn't work
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 02:06:54 PM »

It's not worded well, but it seems that his point is that anecdotes should not dictate policy, which is 100% correct.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 02:30:41 PM »

He's right in the sense that pathos appeals are non-arguments and should be systematically disregarded. Affordable healthcare certainly is still important, but Jimmy Kimmel contributed nothing here.

Shades of beep boop here. On the contrary, appeals to emotion are a vital starting point for any political argument. If you don't think you are fighting for some sort of moral end-point then politics is worthless.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 02:49:53 PM »

Remember, this asshole still has to pay child support.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 03:02:25 PM »

Shades of beep boop here. On the contrary, appeals to emotion are a vital starting point for any political argument. If you don't think you are fighting for some sort of moral end-point then politics is worthless.

I fight for political issues because I like seeing the outcome of different maps.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »

I will feel no sadness or remorse when Joe Walsh dies cold, bitter and alone.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 04:02:03 PM »

FYI Joe Walsh called for a race war after several cops were horrifically gunned down last June in Dallas, Texas during a BLM demostration.

The vomit in my throat has more significance on this planet than Joe Walsh.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 04:04:02 PM »

I fight for political issues because I like seeing the outcome of different maps.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »

Yeah how dare he be so smug and elite about his child being alive. Real Americans know that uninsured children should just die.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »

Morality is a starting point for an argument, but not an ending point. Saying that we need affordable healthcare because children should not suffer is still leading, but it is also a rational and well-formed view that one can respond to. Monologuing about a particular kid who suffered is trying to appeal to the more primal aspects of the human psyche. It will work because humans are animals, but such appeals do not yield productive discussions that generate good policies.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 04:54:55 PM »

Yeah how dare he be so smug and elite about his child being alive. Real Americans know that uninsured children should just die.

Damn straight! Love it or leave it. If you don't love America, you commie, then get out! /sarcasm
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »

Morality is a starting point for an argument, but not an ending point. Saying that we need affordable healthcare because children should not suffer is still leading, but it is also a rational and well-formed view that one can respond to. Monologuing about a particular kid who suffered is trying to appeal to the more primal aspects of the human psyche. It will work because humans are animals, but such appeals do not yield productive discussions that generate good policies.

A lot of people ended up being embarrassed last November because they believed that rational and well-informed arguments would win over the pubic more than emotional ones.

Like CC said, this is a very beep-boop attitude.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 05:37:37 PM »

im for single payer. Nice try.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »

A lot of people ended up being embarrassed last November because they believed that rational and well-informed arguments would win over the pubic more than emotional ones.

Like CC said, this is a very beep-boop attitude.

2016 is a rather poor example, given that the problem message-wise was that Democrats basically ignored key voting segments that delivered several key swing states to Trump. If you want to adopt a beep-boop attitude yourself, I guess it kind of looks like a failure of rationality.

As I said before, pathos works. Doesn't mean that I should hesitate to treat the employment of this tactic with the contempt that it merits.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »

I will feel no sadness or remorse when Joe Walsh dies cold, bitter and alone.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies