French Legislative Election 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:44:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French Legislative Election 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 39
Author Topic: French Legislative Election 2017  (Read 97560 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2017, 05:30:08 PM »

Can't PS just dissolve and fold into FG/FI?
No. PS is fundamentally a pro-European party. Melenchon and his fan clubs are Eurosceptic.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »

Out of the 428 REM candidates there are 214 men and 214 women.  This is so typical and smacks of quota politics that I deplore.  This by itself is enough for me not to want to back REM.  If having equal number of men and women are so important then why does Macron not demand that the presidency alternates between a man and a women.  Oh yeah, if they did that it would mean they will have to all vote for Le Pen in the just finished Prez election.

You're THAT afraid of women? Geez.

It appears so.  I am also against quotas on the basis of race nationality etc etc.  I guess I am afraid of anything that represents authority other than the White Man paradigm.   
How is this a quota? They didn't stop anyone from running.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2017, 07:16:07 PM »

Of course it is.  REM has 428 positions to fill as those with a REM ticket.  Out of the 19,000 or so candidates that applied REM choose among the candidates such so that the 428 candidates picked are exactly 214 male and 214 female.  That is a quota. 

Of course any of the 19,000 candidates rejected are free to run as an independent but the application process was for the REM candidate of which can be only 428 of them.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2017, 08:40:43 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2017, 10:37:06 PM by Tintrlvr »

Of course it is.  REM has 428 positions to fill as those with a REM ticket.  Out of the 19,000 or so candidates that applied REM choose among the candidates such so that the 428 candidates picked are exactly 214 male and 214 female.  That is a quota.  

Of course any of the 19,000 candidates rejected are free to run as an independent but the application process was for the REM candidate of which can be only 428 of them.

For one, LREM didn't nominate candidates everywhere. If the other 19,000-odd people were actually qualified, surely they would have been run in one of the other 150-odd seats where LREM is not fielding a candidate.

For two, I am amused at the presumptious implication that there couldn't possibly have been an equal number of qualified women as men. Perhaps the quota even worked in favor of the men!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2017, 09:44:12 PM »

Jaichind, it's LREM. Please.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2017, 02:28:59 AM »

76% of the voters approve the LREM candidates
67% approve the decision about Valls

About the project
LREM: 39% a good project, 35% a bad project
FI: 27% a good project, 47% a bad project
LR: 24% a good project, 51% a bad project
FN: 24% a good project, 58% a bad project
PS: 17% a good project, 57% a bad project

Harris poll for RMC
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2017, 03:10:40 AM »

In all seriously, LRM is the acronym I'm seeing most in the press.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2017, 03:36:20 AM »

Of course it is.  REM has 428 positions to fill as those with a REM ticket.  Out of the 19,000 or so candidates that applied REM choose among the candidates such so that the 428 candidates picked are exactly 214 male and 214 female.  That is a quota. 

For the record, it is the law that forces that. If there isnt an equal number of men and women, they get fined.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2017, 04:45:12 AM »

(Bloomberg) -- Alain Juppe, a former French prime minister and the current mayor of Bordeaux, would be the preferred prime minister in the future government of President-Elect Emmanuel Macron for 26% of those surveyed in an Odoxa poll.
Francois Bayrou gets preference of 22% in poll, Jean-Yves Le Drian 19%, Jean-Louis Borloo 18%
76% of those surveyed say choice of prime minister by Emmanuel Macron will impact their vote in June parliamentary legislative
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2017, 04:47:04 AM »

For the record, it is the law that forces that. If there isnt an equal number of men and women, they get fined.

Oh, if that is the case then certainly it is my misunderstanding.  If so then I would expect that other parties like LR FN and PS to also have equal number of men and women candidates or do they pay the fine?  Of course all this means is that my ire is turned against this law versus REM. 
Zuza
Russian Federation
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2017, 06:17:51 AM »

Of course it is.  REM has 428 positions to fill as those with a REM ticket.  Out of the 19,000 or so candidates that applied REM choose among the candidates such so that the 428 candidates picked are exactly 214 male and 214 female.  That is a quota.  

Oh, if that is the case then certainly it is my misunderstanding.  If so then I would expect that other parties like LR FN and PS to also have equal number of men and women candidates or do they pay the fine?  Of course all this means is that my ire is turned against this law versus REM.  

In 2012 PS obeyed the law and nominated 49 % women, while UMP, from what I know, preferred to pay the fine.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2017, 07:13:04 AM »

In 2012 PS obeyed the law and nominated 49 % women, while UMP, from what I know, preferred to pay the fine.

I looked this up.  It seems this law mandating 50/50 in terms of gender which I totally oppose only is in play for PR seats.  So REM was under no obligation to nominate 50/50 for these district seats.  The fact they did so was part of their political message and brand, which in this case I oppose.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »

Looks like François Bayrou is furious over the REM list that includes 24 PS MPs and only 35 on the list are from MoDem.  Mr Bayrou told Le Nouvel Observateur magazine that he and Macron had agreed before the election that about a quarter of the constituencies would be allocated to MoDem, while the remaining three quarters would be represented by REM. He said this represents the weight of the contribution he provided during Macron’s campaign.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2017, 07:24:01 AM »

Looks like François Bayrou is furious over the REM list that includes 24 PS MPs and only 35 on the list are from MoDem.  Mr Bayrou told Le Nouvel Observateur magazine that he and Macron had agreed before the election that about a quarter of the constituencies would be allocated to MoDem, while the remaining three quarters would be represented by REM. He said this represents the weight of the contribution he provided during Macron’s campaign.

This is actually something of a financial blow for MoDem - they were hoping for about 100 constituencies; including 30 "winnable" constituencies; in order to hopefully get 15 people elected - enough to form a parliamentary group in the assembly and receive associated funds.

So if MoDem genuinenly only have 35 candidates in there, they could be losing out on quite a lot of funding; and they are fairly cash strapped as it is/
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2017, 07:26:39 AM »

For two, I am amused at the presumptious implication that there couldn't possibly have been an equal number of qualified women as men. Perhaps the quota even worked in favor of the men!

This.

Also, François Bayrou is furious, and has called a meeting with the heads of his party. The honeymoon is already over.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2017, 07:31:08 AM »

This is actually something of a financial blow for MoDem - they were hoping for about 100 constituencies; including 30 "winnable" constituencies; in order to hopefully get 15 people elected - enough to form a parliamentary group in the assembly and receive associated funds.

So if MoDem genuinenly only have 35 candidates in there, they could be losing out on quite a lot of funding; and they are fairly cash strapped as it is/

Did MoDem even have 100 people who could have been candidates? My impression was that the party was moribund before Macron. Bayrou had even lost his own seat.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2017, 07:31:44 AM »

I looked this up.  It seems this law mandating 50/50 in terms of gender which I totally oppose only is in play for PR seats.  So REM was under no obligation to nominate 50/50 for these district seats.  The fact they did so was part of their political message and brand, which in this case I oppose.

So it seems that nominating an equal number of men and women was the express wish of the beautiful and flawless president-elect. This is wonderful!

As far as I know, REM is the acronym of "Rapid Eye Movement". Also, there is a band from Athens (GA) with that name (Greatest Hits: "Losing My Religion" and "Everybody Hurts", among others).

As for La République en marche, apparently the correct acronym is LREM. Please note down.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2017, 07:51:39 AM »

Did MoDem even have 100 people who could have been candidates? My impression was that the party was moribund before Macron. Bayrou had even lost his own seat.

I think that is a big part of why they were really hanging on getting a lot out of Macron - even some no hoper would be useful as long as they could get over the 5% threshold; which would be pretty likely with the LREM endoresement.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2017, 08:27:48 AM »

No LREM candidate standing against Maryam El-Khomri. Shame, if there was one PS member I really wanted to out of parliament.
Zuza
Russian Federation
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2017, 08:39:46 AM »

I looked this up.  It seems this law mandating 50/50 in terms of gender which I totally oppose only is in play for PR seats.

Where does France use PR at all? Only in regional and European elections?

Well, I can believe that maintaining gender equality in the lists of candidates is entirely voluntary. Even FN list has "near-gender parity".
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2017, 08:55:52 AM »

This.

Also, François Bayrou is furious, and has called a meeting with the heads of his party. The honeymoon is already over.
Lol Bayrou
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2017, 09:46:46 AM »

Macron has shown from the very beginning that it's Bayrou and Valls who come to him and LREM, and not the other way round.
Wonderful.
rob in cal
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2017, 10:52:12 AM »

So it looks like there will be many seats where after the 1st round we might have a REM, Republican, a FN and a left candidate all making the 2nd round. In such circumstances what kind of stand down agreements are likely, if at all.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »

So it looks like there will be many seats where after the 1st round we might have a REM, Republican, a FN and a left candidate all making the 2nd round. In such circumstances what kind of stand down agreements are likely, if at all.

Is that true? With the 12.5% of registered voters threshold and turnout around 60% or even lower along with some nulls one would need 21% to get into the second round.  I find it hard to believe that we will have 4 candidates all above 21% in many seats especially with PS, FI/PG and FCP splinting the Left vote.

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2017, 11:20:09 AM »

Is that true? With the 12.5% of registered voters threshold and turnout around 60% or even lower along with some nulls one would need 21% to get into the second round.  I find it hard to believe that we will have 4 candidates all above 21% in many seats especially with PS, FI/PG and FCP splinting the Left vote.

I can't see the PCF playing much of a spoiler role - basically all their current parliamentary delegation, and half the municipalities they control were won off the back of alliances and hand outs from other parties. Without the support of Mélenchon's name recognition, they won't play much of a role.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies