French Legislative Election 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:31:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French Legislative Election 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 39
Author Topic: French Legislative Election 2017  (Read 98141 times)
Zuza
Russian Federation
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »

Still, PCF will take their 2 or 3 %, and their results will be higher in the places where the Left is strong (e. g. exactly in the same places where PS or FI candidates have a chance to make into the 2nd round). Another 1 or 2 % in such constituencies can go to Lutte Ouvrière. All this means that most likely only in very few places there will be a leftist in the 2nd round.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »

Edouard Philippe will be PM.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »

Jaichin I can assure you that there is a law that applies as well to the legislatives. The LRs were forced to pay a fine on 2012.

Regarding the PM, that's not surprising at all
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »

what kind of conservative is phillippe?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »

Still, PCF will take their 2 or 3 %, and their results will be higher in the places where the Left is strong (e. g. exactly in the same places where PS or FI candidates have a chance to make into the 2nd round). Another 1 or 2 % in such constituencies can go to Lutte Ouvrière. All this means that most likely only in very few places there will be a leftist in the 2nd round.

More importantly, FI/PG and PS-EELV will split the Left vote down the middle with neither bloc close to the 20% threshold.  I am sure in Left strongholds one of the two will make it to the second round but unless there are significant tactical voting in the average seat neither bloc seems poised to enter second round.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »

Juppé now denying it.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2017, 01:01:20 PM »

It seems he was in PS before 2002.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »

Big ask, but does anybody have a list of which constituencies have the highest combined left vote and are most likely to have left candidates in the second round?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »

Hilarious that his Wikipedia article is a single line currently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89douard_Philippe
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2017, 05:10:25 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2017, 05:12:21 PM by mvd10 »

He was a Juppé supporter so probably a centrist. Definitely no Fillon or Sarkozy. Anyway this is a smart pick. People like Philippe are close enough to Macron to not upset centre-left voters and he might convince a bunch of centre-right voters with a centre-right PM.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2017, 06:36:16 PM »

Whoever leaked it was probably trying to rule him out. Now, in favor of who else, is the big question.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2017, 01:05:46 AM »

Agreement between Bayrou and LREM.
LREM has yet to formally accept the agreement this morning.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2017, 01:32:51 AM »

How many "winnable" seats did Bayrou extract?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2017, 07:01:42 AM »

How many "winnable" seats did Bayrou extract?

Not yet confirmed it will seem, but the 428 LREM candidates announced so far won't change.

If anyone is interested Libé have an interactive map of where LREM have announced candidates. I think you can start to get a decent picture of where the left might hold on from that.

http://www.liberation.fr/apps/2017/05/circonscriptions-en-marche-candidats/

A lot of incumbents in both PS and LR also feel pretty confident about their chances as they see the LREM candidates as being complete nobodies, and LREM don't have anything like the ground game.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2017, 07:28:48 AM »

Not yet confirmed it will seem, but the 428 LREM candidates announced so far won't change.

If anyone is interested Libé have an interactive map of where LREM have announced candidates. I think you can start to get a decent picture of where the left might hold on from that.

http://www.liberation.fr/apps/2017/05/circonscriptions-en-marche-candidats/

A lot of incumbents in both PS and LR also feel pretty confident about their chances as they see the LREM candidates as being complete nobodies, and LREM don't have anything like the ground game.

Yes, this is what I figured.  It would be interesting to see how this plays out and if the Macron name is enough for LREM to win a large number of seats despite no ground game nor name recognition of most candidates.  If it were to work then now, during the honeymoon, would be time for it to work.  I think it still would depend on who the PM is.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2017, 06:48:19 AM »

Political parties receive funding during the 5-year term on account of the number of votes they got in the latest legislative elections.

Provided they got 1% of the vote in the first round in 50 different constituencies, they get 1,42€ yearly for each vote they got in the whole country, including where they got less than 1% of the vote. Hence, when you vote for one of the relevant organizations, even if they have no chance to win, you at least provide them with 5x1,42= 7,10€.

Now, that subsidy is reduced if you don't run as many male and female candidates. Here's how it works.

You are ok if you stay inside the 51%-49% bracket in favor of either gender. Once you overcome this gap, your subisdy is reduced. Say a party runs 300 males and 277 females. The gap is 23, or 4% of the whole slate. The subsidy is reduced by 3/4 of this gap, in this case 3%. In this case, each vote will earn the party 1,42x0,97= 1,38€ yearly.

In 2012, the UMP had only ran ca. 1/4 female candidates. Their subisidy had therefore been cut by 3/4 of the 50% gap between the 75% male candidates and the 25% female candidates, so a loss of 37,5% of their financial subsidy.

There's also a totally different subisidy earned by parties who actually get candidates elected to Parliament (Assembly and Senate). This one gets them ca. 37 000€ per deputy elected (yearly, I think, but not sure, maybe for the whole term).

Are you not entertained?!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2017, 07:58:52 AM »

Philippe is PM.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »

22 LR-UDI elected officials call to "respond to Macron's offer" after Philippe's nomination.

And also DLF-FN alliance is broken.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »

Big ask, but does anybody have a list of which constituencies have the highest combined left vote and are most likely to have left candidates in the second round?

I'm sure someone has got better, but I found a not very great breakdown of results by constituency and came up with a total of 2 constituencies where Mélenchon + Hamon got over 50% (not including Poutou or Arthaud); Seine-St-Denis-2 and Seine-St-Denis-7

and another 26 where they got over 40% combined:
6 in Seine-St-Denis
4 in Paris
4 in Val de Marne
2 in Bouches-du-Rhône
2 in Val d'Oise
1 each in Hauts de Seine, St Pierre et Miquelon, Hérault, Haute-Garonne, Nord, Martinique, Seine Maritime and Gironde
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »

You can't see it, but I'm sighing really hard right now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »

A right-winger as PM is actually good news. I was hoping for a more prominent LR figure, like Bertrand, but this isn't too bad. I really hope it will lead to at least some defections from the right.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2017, 02:39:57 AM »

I wonder if this might backfire, and picking a right wing PM might put off the left leaning voters who made up the backbone of Macron's support
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2017, 02:57:36 AM »

Out of the 428 REM candidates there are 214 men and 214 women.  This is so typical and smacks of quota politics that I deplore.  This by itself is enough for me not to want to back REM.  If having equal number of men and women are so important then why does Macron not demand that the presidency alternates between a man and a women.  Oh yeah, if they did that it would mean they will have to all vote for Le Pen in the just finished Prez election.

You're THAT afraid of women? Geez.

It appears so.  I am also against quotas on the basis of race nationality etc etc.  I guess I am afraid of anything that represents authority other than the White Man paradigm.   

There is no meritocratic system for appointing political candidates. You seem to assume that if there is an equal number of women candidates it must somehow have been achieved unfairly but I don't really think that is true.

I'd note that I'm not for quotas myself either but I find it ridiculous to have as a litmus test for what to vote for.
Chickpeas
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »

Will Philippe change his party allegiance to En Marche! if they win a majority of seats in the legislative election?
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »

Macron successfully destabilized the left, and now appears to successfully destabilize the right: it's now 173 LR politicians who call to work with Macron.

Also the government will be revealed tomorrow but rumors are that Nicolas Hulot could be minister of Ecology. Very popular in France, a strong asset for ecology (while it wasn't Macron's priority) but also very independent guy, he wants a strong ministry with important powers, it could be a risk in the long run.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies