French Legislative Election 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:09:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French Legislative Election 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39
Author Topic: French Legislative Election 2017  (Read 97979 times)
Kringla Heimsins
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: June 20, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »

I don't view Macron as a traitor to 'my cause' as he's never been an advocate of 'my cause'.

He actually voted for Chevčnement in 2002, which confuses me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #901 on: June 20, 2017, 11:19:11 PM »

I don't view Macron as a traitor to 'my cause' as he's never been an advocate of 'my cause'.

...seriously? That's hilarious.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #902 on: June 21, 2017, 08:11:25 AM »

well, he was in his early 20ies, i guess you are still volatile at that point.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #903 on: June 21, 2017, 10:19:46 AM »

https://www.marianne.net/politique/macron-ce-jeune-chevenementiste

Go figure.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #904 on: June 21, 2017, 11:19:32 AM »

Around 40 right-wing MPs (more than 20 LR, 18 UDI) will form their own group "les constructifs" in the National Assembly.

In the Senate some senators try to form an LREM group, but LR senators pro-Macron won't apparently secede from their group, but will form an "Les constructifs" movement inside the LR group. (Also half of the Senate will be renew next September).
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #905 on: June 21, 2017, 12:40:41 PM »

Bayrou has left the government.

Andrea
Italy
« Reply #906 on: June 21, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »

PCF won't make a parliamentary group with FI. The FI-PCF split is 16-11 rather than 17-10 as indicated by Ministere de l'Interieur (they labelled a PCF as FI). PCF claim to have got 4 Outre-mer MPs to get the 15 required for a group.
palandio

« Reply #907 on: June 21, 2017, 04:14:41 PM »

PCF won't make a parliamentary group with FI. The FI-PCF split is 16-11 rather than 17-10 as indicated by Ministere de l'Interieur (they labelled a PCF as FI). PCF claim to have got 4 Outre-mer MPs to get the 15 required for a group.
Probably Bello (La Réunion 2), Azérot (Martinique 2), Nilor (Martinique 4) and Serville (Guyane 1).
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #908 on: June 21, 2017, 07:50:21 PM »

Why can't Melenchon play nice with the Communists?
Because he's an egotist.

It's not about the left-wing cause. It's about him. That's why.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #909 on: June 21, 2017, 09:57:05 PM »

Probably Bello (La Réunion 2), Azérot (Martinique 2), Nilor (Martinique 4) and Serville (Guyane 1).
There are 3 Corse Nationalists too.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #910 on: June 21, 2017, 10:02:08 PM »

There are 3 Corse Nationalists too.

They're pro-EU, contrary to the PCF's positions.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #911 on: June 21, 2017, 11:44:26 PM »

I almost feel sad for Bayrou, honestly. This was supposed to be his 15 minutes of glory.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #912 on: June 22, 2017, 01:23:50 AM »

Pierre Laurent endorsed Macron in the second round and Mélenchon took issue with it.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #913 on: June 22, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »

To be fair, the question can also exactly be asked in reverse.

Also, it's better they have two groups, that's twice the number of assisting positions, and they would have perpetually fought and eventually split rather sooner than later. And anyway, a 27-member group can't do much more than two 16-member and 15-member groups... They don't even have half a motion of no-confidence (58 seats needed) between them !
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #914 on: June 22, 2017, 09:18:07 AM »

Also, it's better they have two groups, that's twice the number of assisting positions, and they would have perpetually fought and eventually split rather sooner than later. And anyway, a 27-member group can't do much more than two 16-member and 15-member groups... They don't even have half a motion of no-confidence (58 seats needed) between them !

You know, at some point the left is going to have to form some semblance of unity if it is to ever have power again
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #915 on: June 22, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »

You know, at some point the left is going to have to form some semblance of unity if it is to ever have power again

Because he's an egotist.

It's not about the left-wing cause. It's about him. That's why.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #916 on: June 22, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »

That unity is going to come from the street, not from the National Assembly. Key question is if they can build NuitDebout into a larger movement, not whether their groups merge or not.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #917 on: June 22, 2017, 11:22:03 AM »

That unity is going to come from the street, not from the National Assembly. Key question is if they can build NuitDebout into a larger movement, not whether their groups merge or not.

That still requires there to be a political force capable of capitalizing on a social movement like this. The PS doesn't seem like it can, while FI will always remain Mélenchon's personal vehicle.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #918 on: June 22, 2017, 11:46:45 AM »

That still requires there to be a political force capable of capitalizing on a social movement like this. The PS doesn't seem like it can, while FI will always remain Mélenchon's personal vehicle.
Fair enough. What I meant was that the motivation to form unity won't come from the National Assembly. If Nuit Debout is built into a larger movement, that's when the true test will be. At this point, it's better for there to be two separate groups, for the reasons Zanas said.
Zuza
Russian Federation
« Reply #919 on: June 22, 2017, 12:51:04 PM »

And the problem with PCF, I guess, is that it still explicitly identifies as communist and/or is perceived by many as a relic of the past.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #920 on: June 22, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »

There is precedence of Left-wing unity. Mitterrand made everybody understand that the "Programme Commun" had to be led by the person who stood at the centre of the Left, in between the social liberals and the hard-line ML communists. I imagine the PCF thought Mélenchon would be a new Mitteramd rather than the unaccommodating bastard he is.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #921 on: June 22, 2017, 07:58:31 PM »

The fundamental problem is, imho, the link to the Nation. The PCF is historically internationalist and they tend to prefer referencing class struggle rather than French identity. Mélenchon has chosen the opposite way; his rallies were full of tricolor flags and he sung the Marseillaise with the crowd, something a PCF candidate would never do. Both are building their discourse around historical references; the Labor movement for the PCF, and the French Revolution for la France Insoumise.

Guess which strategy works best?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #922 on: June 22, 2017, 08:21:38 PM »

Not sure what you mean... are you referring to Melenchon's FI having more seats in the legislatives?
Not that I care about which of these strategies to take, since the main reason I'd consider FI or PCF is to strategically defeat PS centrists, LREM or the right.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #923 on: June 22, 2017, 09:10:32 PM »

Not sure what you mean... are you referring to Melenchon's FI having more seats in the legislatives?
Not that I care about which of these strategies to take, since the main reason I'd consider FI or PCF is to strategically defeat PS centrists, LREM or the right.

I'm referring to Mélenchon getting a record-high share of the vote for a far-left candidate in a presidential election since 1969, and FI getting five times more votes in the legislative elections.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #924 on: June 23, 2017, 01:16:32 AM »

There is precedence of Left-wing unity. Mitterrand made everybody understand that the "Programme Commun" had to be led by the person who stood at the centre of the Left, in between the social liberals and the hard-line ML communists. I imagine the PCF thought Mélenchon would be a new Mitteramd rather than the unaccommodating bastard he is.

Yeah, more like the new Marchais.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies