Tillerson: Human Rights are no longer a condition for US foreign policy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:36:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tillerson: Human Rights are no longer a condition for US foreign policy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tillerson: Human Rights are no longer a condition for US foreign policy  (Read 903 times)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »
« edited: May 03, 2017, 03:12:33 PM by ApatheticAustrian »

https://www.apnews.com/7afff2131d7b4b10b2c84b89c721b6c9?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Politics

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/859836657926901760

You must be logged in to read this quote.

goodbye, US.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »

The human rights never were an actual condition for US foreign policy. Learn some history people.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »

The human rights never were an actual condition for US foreign policy. Learn some history people.

well, sometimes...and at least this was a very effective fig leaf which other countries took so literally, they worked with a similar approach.

and the US is not winning anything with this kind of "honesty".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:15:20 PM »

well, sometimes...and at least this was a very effective fig leaf which other countries took so literally, they worked with a similar approach.

I understand, I'm just tired with people living in the bubble, implying everything was warm and fuzzy before Trump. It's not just stupidity, it's a very dangerous myth.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 03:17:41 PM »

I understand, I'm just tired with people living in the bubble, implying everything was warm and fuzzy before Trump. It's not just stupidity, it's a very dangerous myth.

as a fellow european, i think i it just underlines once again: we are on our own.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 03:50:08 PM »

Trump is certainly not some ultra-clear line, no (though it's going to likely be portrayed that way by bad historians in the future). The problem is that he's continuing the ongoing descent and making it steeper.

Look at it as a progression along these lines:

Bush: blowing people up with airstrikes, but not doing it very often, and not talking about it much.

Obama: blowing up people with airstrikes quite a bit, talking about it a lot, not mentioning the downsides.

Trump: "We need to kill their women and children". blowing up even more people with airstrikes, in more places, and it's become so commonplace we only talk about the extraordinary ones.

In other words, I find government hypocrisy about problematic decisions to be preferable to simply embracing them and saying they're not controversial at all. If my choices are between A) a government that makes morally questionable decisions, and then tries to cover them up because it knows they're wrong, illegal, etc, or B) a government that rejects any notion of morality and publicly celebrates evil, I'll take the government that at least has the good grace to be embarassed. B does a lot more damage to the fabric of our country than A.

(And yeah, this means I think that in many ways Bush at least claiming he was trying to do the right thing was better than Obama's silences and gravitas BS, or Trump's open embrace of cruelty and avarice as desirable.)
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 04:00:49 PM »

They were kinda under Jimmy Carter at most. Tongue
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »

They were kinda under Jimmy Carter at most. Tongue

And Herbert Hoover too.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »

Yeah, this is nothing new.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »

American interests and safety should be paramount, even if it means dealing with unsavory regimes. (Within limits of course)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »

flaunting it like that IS something new, combined with all the dictator-mass-praising and democrat-bashing.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »

One less reason to bomb/drone? Fine with me.

Is it Trump's "flexibility" in foreign policy Huh
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 04:32:22 PM »

It's no surprise that human rights mean nothing to an administration that is deporting non-criminals, and wants to gut health care coverage from millions.  I actually say it would be hypocritical if they took any other posture.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 04:35:59 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2017, 04:37:42 PM by Lumine »

The United States showing disregard towards human rights? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 04:37:41 PM »

flaunting it like that IS something new, combined with all the dictator-mass-praising and democrat-bashing.

Given the extent to which this was already happening, perhaps it means that this administration is less hypocritical than the ones that preceded it. It certainly is still terrible and I am not happy with President Trump on this issue any more than I was with Presidents Bush and Obama, but the problem here goes far, far beyond Trump.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 04:46:25 PM »

Yeah, i mean, I don't remember us backing away from Kenya when noted war criminal Uruhu got elected in 2013. I remember obama posing for pictures with dictators from Ethiopia and Equatorial guinea. He reopened relations with cuba despite the castros still raping cuba. Obama paid millions in cash to the rights hating iranians. He was friendly with corrupt president hottie of thailand before she got couped. Bush and Clinton were friends with the saudi kings,  despite their country having abysmal human rights. Reagan sponsored mobutu and Kaunda. Purposeful ignorance is a hell of a drug.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »

doubling down on love-fests with assholes is not a sign of honesty and seems more like a feature than a bug in trump's administration...just sayin'.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »

The issue isn't so much that the United States foreign policy no longer considers Human Rights a condition, because it rarely has, but that under Trump they've abandoned even pretending like it's a condition. America's foreign policy is now explicitly dedicated to self-interest. Despite the obvious problems with hiding behind the veil of human rights promotion, at least our message and rhetoric were aligned with their promotion. Now we won't even bother with that.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »

The issue isn't so much that the United States foreign policy no longer considers Human Rights a condition, because it rarely has, but that under Trump they've abandoned even pretending like it's a condition. America's foreign policy is now explicitly dedicated to self-interest. Despite the obvious problems with hiding behind the veil of human rights promotion, at least our message and rhetoric were aligned with their promotion. Now we won't even bother with that.

And yet he bombed Assad ...
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »

Trump's self-interest, maybe.

America's foreign policy is now:

whatever flatters Trump's ego this week.
whatever advances Trump family business interests
whatever advances the interests of Trump's billionaire cronies
whatever advances the interests of the GOP leadership and their wealthy donors
whatever emerges from the interaction of the professional diplomatic corps, the rest of the government, the military, less influential business interests, NGOs, etc. This last may actually bear some resemblance to a national interest foreign policy.

In that order.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 05:43:50 PM »

as a fellow european, i think i it just underlines once again: we are on our own.

As so many Europeans (especially on the left) seemed to want until it was taken away!
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »

So?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »

So?

Trump broke his own america first position to do so and his justification was too many dead foreigner children.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 09:07:50 PM »

Abandon these pretenses. The realism of Kissinger is needed now more than ever.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies