Recommendations On "Unrest"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:17:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Recommendations On "Unrest"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recommendations On "Unrest"  (Read 1878 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:11:26 PM »

Humans of Atlas! Having realized how empty my life is without long-term projects and the like, there is an area of knowledge that I would like to gain more insight on for some sinister future plans. If anyone should have the knowledge, titles related to the following would be greatly appreciated!

-General principles or theories of revolt, uprising, revolution, disruption, riots, and so on;
-Unrest in the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact at its various stages of disruption (1956, 1968, 1980, late 1980s-1991)'
-Unrest throughout the world in the 1960s;
-The Arab Spring
-"Social Revolutions"

If any help is at all possible, it would be greatly appreciated. Smiley
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 09:02:18 PM »

Just to get you started:

Uncivil Society and Armageddon Averted by Stephen Kotkin are both good books. The former is about the collapse of the minor Warsaw Pact allies and the latter is about the collapse of the USSR itself.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 12:16:20 AM »

The Political Thought of Sayyid Qutb: The Theory of Jahiliyyah and The Power of Sovereignty: The Political and Ideological Philosophy of Sayyid Qutb. These sequential books trace the movement of Islamism in the post-colonial Middle East, but in so doing, they also explore the influence of colonialism on the political thought of a colonized people, the fundamental features of the Western worldview (as perceived by those outside of it), and the ideal relationship between religion and the state.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »

Just to get you started:

Uncivil Society and Armageddon Averted by Stephen Kotkin are both good books. The former is about the collapse of the minor Warsaw Pact allies and the latter is about the collapse of the USSR itself.

Well, just so you know this thread didn't go to waste, I have finally ordered Armageddon Averted.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 06:33:14 AM »

Just saw this thread.  I thought I had a book on the history of revolutions, but I can't find it. Part of the reason that I can't find it is because I have too many books, which is why I like to give books away.

So, if you're still interested in this, these are the books that I have that I can send you (just set up a post office box.  I'll pay for everything else.)

1.The Haunted Land: Facing Europe's Ghosts After Communism by Tina Rosenberg (1996)
2.1917, Russia's Year of Revolution by Roy Bainton (2005)
3.Turning Point: 1968 by Irwin and Debi Unger, 1988

I'm less sure if you're interested in these:
4.Coups and Cocaine:  Journeys in South America by Anthony Daniels (He is a travel writer), 1986
5.Time Frame AD 1925-1950, Shadow of the Dictators, part of one of the Time-Life Series of books, 1989
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies