Opinion of Scottish Nationalism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:39:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Scottish Nationalism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Opinion of Scottish Nationalism  (Read 2382 times)
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »

I support Scottish Independence but dislike Scottish Nationalism; they are different and distinct things that ought to be looked at differently. 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »

I support civic nationalism, which I believe the modern Scottish movement inhabits.
Let us always support yet fear civic nationalism. For the rise of nationalistic authoritarianism will come not blatantly, but in a subtle manner, like a spy in your midst. Civic nationalism can be used as a noble means for noble ends, but it is also the beginning of other, less noble forms of nationalism.

You make a good point here. There are two types of nationalism. One deals with maintaining the proper relationship between government and citizens, and the other deals with violence and jingoism. It is common for the self-proclaimed opponents of nationalism to confuse the two, but there is also an ever-present risk of the two coming together (not least because of the anti-nationalists who are eager to malign civic nationalists for using the wrong label).
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 04:35:26 PM »

Nationalism is bad
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »

Right-wing or ethno-Nationalism is bad
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 10:06:47 PM »

I loathe the SNP bigly, but Scottish Nationalism is a whole another best. Mild HP.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 10:30:46 PM »

A horrible movement that has contributed to the destruction of the British Left.

I agree.

But there's been an ongoing global crisis in western countries with traditional left wing Parties these past few years/this past decade. Look no further than the USA from 2000-2016. Cry
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »

A horrible movement that has contributed to the destruction of the British Left.

I agree.

But there's been an ongoing global crisis in western countries with traditional left wing Parties these past few years/this past decade. Look no further than the USA from 2000-2016. Cry

Does this imply the us ever had a traditional left wing party?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »

Not good, but I really can't blame them after Brexit.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »

I can't take them seriously because of the SNP's support of remaining within the monarchy. How does that not defeat the whole purpose?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »

I can't take them seriously because of the SNP's support of remaining within the monarchy. How does that not defeat the whole purpose?

I'm a Republican so not really the person to be defending this: but I don't see how it does?  An independent Scotland with the monarchy would still be an independent country: its just that our figurehead head of state would be an old women who lives in London rather than an old politician towards the end of their career.  All of the other powers that an independent country has would still be held by Scotland...
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »

Scottish nationalism is the best insurance policy to keep the Conservatives in power for a generation.

HP
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »

Well one issue - and it isn't discussed nearly enough - is actually the way in which Scottish Labour incorporated a mild version of Scottish Nationalism into its rhetoric and general appeal in the 1980s, turning the issue of social democracy vs. Thatcherism into a question of nation and allowing it to cast itself as a patriotic choice vs. supposedly Whitehall/Westminster controlled Conservatives (a rather different appeal to back when Willie Ross was dominant internally). Very effective in the short and medium term, but I don't think that the post-2007 and post-2014 errors would have been anywhere near so devastating were that not the background.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »

Of course the salient fact about Scottish politics these days is that (for better or worse) it is personality dominated to a much greater extent than the rest of the U.K. As, strangely enough, 2010 demonstrates.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »

It's technically Scotland's monarch that England has: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_the_Crowns
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 06:01:24 PM »

A total waste of time.  England and Scotland are one country.  The passage of time has made it so.  Stronger Together.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »

HP
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2017, 11:55:47 AM »

I'm a Republican so not really the person to be defending this: but I don't see how it does?  An independent Scotland with the monarchy would still be an independent country: its just that our figurehead head of state would be an old women who lives in London rather than an old politician towards the end of their career.  All of the other powers that an independent country has would still be held by Scotland...

Do you support an Independent Flanders too?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies