Is Islam an anti-American religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:59:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Is Islam an anti-American religion?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Is Islam an anti-American religion?  (Read 5536 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2005, 04:16:50 AM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:42:48 AM »

Don't be silly. I don't think that America was widely known in Arabia a thousand (plus a few hundred) years ago.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 05:46:17 AM »

Exactly. Islam wasn't exactly founded on anti-Americanism...though most Arabs and Muslims in today's world are no doubt anti-American.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 07:02:35 AM »

No, considering the above plus the fact that some Muslims live peacefully in the US.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 08:09:14 AM »

Yes, America existed way back then. Mohammed was angry because Ford cheated him of a good car, damn it. Wink
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 03:54:36 PM »

Islamic culture may be anti-American, but the religion definitely isn't.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 04:40:11 PM »

The Islamic culture & religion is mostly anti western and anti any other faith. Americans get hated because they fall under the western nations list.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 05:02:27 PM »

ok
Cashcow

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 05:02:57 PM »

Yes, I completely think so.  I harbor no fallacies that we can somehow maintain a peacefull existence with the Islamic Civilization.  We will always be at war in some degree with the other, and one of us in the end will destroy the other.  We must be prepared -with nukes- to wipe out the Islamic Civilization lest we be swept away.

Have you been drinking again?
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 05:46:27 PM »

Yes and no.

It obviously isn't inherently anti-American, but it could be argued to be anti-anything other than Islam (mainly because of the endless series of purely Islamic based conflicts and strife) and I think there are very large pockets of individuals who are trying to make it an anti American religion. I hope they are resisted every step of the way. And that's certainly not to say that there aren't peaceful Muslims - of course there are.
Cashcow

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 07:34:54 PM »

Yes, I completely think so.  I harbor no fallacies that we can somehow maintain a peacefull existence with the Islamic Civilization.  We will always be at war in some degree with the other, and one of us in the end will destroy the other.  We must be prepared -with nukes- to wipe out the Islamic Civilization lest we be swept away.

Have you been drinking again?
They hate us -don't you get it?  We can't share sympathies on them that they don't share on us, or we will be destroyed.  Whether millitarily or by cultural infiltration.

Umm, the girl down the street certainly doesn't hate me and I don't think her family in Afghanistan should be killed for believing in Allah.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 09:20:42 PM »

The founders of Islam weren't anti-American as America didn't exist, but the current Islam religion likely could be classified as anti-american.
MonkeyPooo4U
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 09:25:09 PM »

Yes and no.

It obviously isn't inherently anti-American, but it could be argued to be anti-anything other than Islam (mainly because of the endless series of purely Islamic based conflicts and strife) and I think there are very large pockets of individuals who are trying to make it an anti American religion. I hope they are resisted every step of the way. And that's certainly not to say that there aren't peaceful Muslims - of course there are.

I agree.  You can't say it's completely anti-American, but there are certainly groups within Islam that are.  Radical Muslims say the Koran justifies there murder of non-Muslims, just like radical Christians think the Bible gives them justification to bomb abortion clinics.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 10:00:45 PM »

Yes and no.

I agree.  You can't say it's completely anti-American, but there are certainly groups within Islam that are.  Radical Muslims say the Koran justifies there murder of non-Muslims, just like radical Christians think the Bible gives them justification to bomb abortion clinics.

Yeah, and while I realize there are a minority of really nutty people - the neat thing about a civilized country is that unless you ARE a real bona fide nut you do not feel compelled to go blow up an abortion clinic. Rather, you realize other people have rights as defined by the law and if you're pro life, well, go vote for a pro life candidate!
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 10:46:10 PM »

The founders of Islam weren't anti-American as America didn't exist, but the current Islam religion likely could be classified as anti-american.

^^^^^^^^^^
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 12:12:58 AM »

Yes and no.

Its not only radicals that interpret the Koran that way. That IS in the Koran.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 02:24:11 AM »

The difference between radical Muslim terrorists and radical "Christian" terrorists are the Muslims are following the Koran and the "Christians" are not. There are plenty of verses in the Koran that say to forcibly convert unbelivers or kill them. Now you can take an act of "Christian" terrorism, such as for example the Lebanese Falange carrying out the Sabra and Shatila Massacre where they slaughtered Palestinean refugees at two camps, but there is nowhere in the Bible where it says it's OK to slaughter Palestinean refugees. They were just completely ignoring it in favor of their nationalistic ferver.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 03:05:30 AM »

You all know that Muslims aren't *supposed* to kill either fellow Muslims or fellow "Peoples of the Book" (Jews, Christians) right?
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 03:51:23 AM »

What about Turkey?  Overwhelmingly Muslim, and yet a longtime US ally and NATO member.

How about Jordan?  A constitutional monarchy with strong western sympathies.  Also overwhelmingly Muslim.

Perhaps the real problem is mixing religion and politics too closely, rather than what faith the people of a nation adhere to?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005, 05:13:37 AM »

What about Turkey?  Overwhelmingly Muslim, and yet a longtime US ally and NATO member.

How about Jordan?  A constitutional monarchy with strong western sympathies.  Also overwhelmingly Muslim.

Perhaps the real problem is mixing religion and politics too closely, rather than what faith the people of a nation adhere to?

I think you're failing to distinguish between the governments, which are allied with the US, and the people, who hate us.  Among muslim countries, only Turkey can be said to be absent of white-hot hatred of the US among the actual population.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 05:21:42 AM »

No... they hate an abstract caricature that doesn't resemble the real thing much at all.
They are lied to and fed propaganda on a near permanent basis; you've seen footage from Al Jazeera haven't you?
People in the Arab world ('cos this is where the hatred is largely concentrated) are like mushrooms; kept in the dark and fed bullsh t.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2005, 05:32:44 AM »

I concur.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2005, 05:59:23 AM »

No... they hate an abstract caricature that doesn't resemble the real thing much at all.
They are lied to and fed propaganda on a near permanent basis; you've seen footage from Al Jazeera haven't you?
People in the Arab world ('cos this is where the hatred is largely concentrated) are like mushrooms; kept in the dark and fed bullsh t.

You're correct, but it's a distinction without a difference.  That's why democratization of the Arab and muslim world is so important -- so that they can come out of the darkness to some extent at least, and learn to co-exist with the rest of the world instead of stewing in isolated and misguided anger and hate.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2005, 08:32:34 AM »

Another question that most people know the answer to, NO.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2005, 09:02:58 AM »

Certain aspects of modern Islamic culture are, but the religion itself isn't inherently anti-American. The aspects that are simply need to be changed(which admittedly is easier said than done).
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies