Are modern "superhero" films too serious?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:16:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Are modern "superhero" films too serious?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are they?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Are modern "superhero" films too serious?  (Read 2119 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »

I feel like modern superhero films take themselves too seriously. For example I prefer the Burton and even Schumacher Batman movies to the Nolan films, because they retain a comic book feel. Taking characters that are absurd and putting them into a serious setting ruins them IMO. The Raimi Spider Man films were decent but I haven't enjoyed anything since then.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 02:51:20 PM »

Personally, I love "serious movies" (sooo.. drama?) in general, but I prefer that quality even more so in superhero films - eg Marvel stuff. I don't know, I mean, humor can be good but often I think it just ruins the movie because it's not that funny most of the time. Especially when they insist on trying to make a joke out of every scene. Deadpool was good, but those Spiderman movies sucked.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »

Only the DC movies.

You've seen Guardians of the Galaxy, right?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:20:47 PM »

The recent Batman trilogy was very serious and yet those were the three best Superhero movies ever.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:22:01 PM »

Hollywood figured out that serious sells.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »

September 11th, 2001 had a rather obvious effect on the superhero genre, as well as entertainment in general. I don't mind it, as I enjoyed both the Dark Knight trilogy and the darker, contemporary Bond films (to some extent). In fact, perhaps my greatest complaint about recent superhero films is that they are too flashy. This pertains in particular to Marvel films, but recent DC attempts to construct the Justice League on the big screen will probably also have this effect (though I hear Matt Damon plays Darkseid, which is intriguing).
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 10:54:17 PM »

The recent Batman trilogy was very serious and yet those were the three best Superhero movies ever.

Yep. The DC Extended Universe films are way too serious and just do not strike the right tone, but those Nolan movies were perfection and Marvel is doing a fantastic job.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 12:38:31 AM »

No. If anything, they're not serious enough, in that they go for the childish "dark&edgy" style instead of trying to actually tell compelling stories.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 01:00:52 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2017, 01:02:45 AM by Compassion Fills the Void »

No. If anything, they're not serious enough, in that they go for the childish "dark&edgy" style instead of trying to actually tell compelling stories.

It's pretty obvious you haven't seen the Marvel Netflix serieses then (although granted those aren't "movies")

But I don't really see how you can say that about the Nolan trilogy either. Or Logan for that matter.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 02:21:38 AM »

It's pretty obvious you haven't seen the Marvel Netflix serieses then (although granted those aren't "movies")

Exactly. Which makes your post utterly irrelevant.

I have in fact watched Jessica Jones (which I liked, despite some issues toward the end) and a few episodes of Daredevil (which seems all right).

But I don't really see how you can say that about the Nolan trilogy either.

Don't consider them "modern". They kind of belong to a previous era to me for some reason.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 05:49:25 AM »

I think Civil War and the Winter Soldier were the only films that struck the right kind of "serious" in the current era of films (followed hilariously I might add, by the extended version of Batman vs. Superman), with Winter Soldier being the superior film. Of course, the thing is, the Winter Soldier isn't really a "hero" film in the traditional sense.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 07:06:20 AM »

They are just bland and unexceptional.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 12:14:50 PM »

Yes.

Some take the Grimdark route, some are meta, you'll find a few that are still small-scale or lighthearted.

But pretty much all of them after Nolan's trilogy have been bloated with too much exposition, whether it be character motives, or keeping the plot straight because the writers insisted on weaving in too many damn subplots. Either way, too much is directly told to the audience rather than shown or left to interpretation. And count on a fecking skybeam at some point.

In some cases, prominent side characters are replaced with lifeless talking points only there to further entrench the protagonist one way or another. Nolan's trilogy started the trend, but it got much worse after 2010.

There are exceptions like Deadpool, or Logan which get it right, but they are far and few. Ultimately earnestness as a whole died with Spider Man 2.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »

No, if anything they tend to make too many jokes right at what should be serious moments. It's really irritating.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 03:50:34 PM »

Nope. Honestly, I like where superhero films are right now in terms of seriousness. Several films are very serious (Batman V Superman, Logan) some films are moderately serious (Almost anything by Marvel Studios), and we got some not serious movies (Deadpool, GOTG)

Also, change the thread's name to "Why So Serious?" please.
kyc0705

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 07:00:34 PM »

I won’t be satisfied with the seriousness of superhero movies until Lars von Trier writes and directs one.

(Actually, I’m a moderate yes on this question.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 08:09:00 PM »

I won’t be satisfied with the seriousness of superhero movies until Lars von Trier writes and directs one.

My impression of Lars Von Trier is that he's far from the embodiment of seriousness.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 08:38:51 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2017, 11:39:42 PM by modern maverick »

My impression of Lars Von Trier is that he's far from the embodiment of seriousness.

You mean Lois Lane cheating on Clark Kent hours after marrying him at the beginning of a movie that ends with Apokolips smacking into Earth and destroying all life thereon wouldn't make for the most mature, sober Superman movie ever?!
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 08:43:53 PM »

Drunk Superman (Superman III) is the best Superman.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 09:48:49 PM »

Drunk Superman (Superman III) is the best Superman.

Well except for:

Earnest, Straight from the comics Superman (Superman I)
Many Powers from Nowhere Superman (Superman II)
Nailed-Scratched Superman (Superman IV)
Baby-Making Superman (Superman Returns)
Won't Smile Superman (Man of Steel/Batman v Superman)

You're right!
kyc0705

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 06:20:37 AM »

You mean Lois Lane cheating on Clark Kent hours after marrying him at the beginning of a movie that ends with Apokolips smacking into Earth and destroying all life thereon wouldn't make for the most mature, sober Superman movie ever?!

And let's not forget the scene where their baby falls off a balcony while "Lascia ch'io pianga" mournfully plays in the background.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 12:51:22 PM »

And let's not forget the scene where their baby falls off a balcony while "Lascia ch'io pianga" mournfully plays in the background.

No big deal: Superman's baby should be able to fly.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 12:19:25 AM »

Nope. Honestly, I like where superhero films are right now in terms of seriousness. Several films are very serious (Batman V Superman, Logan) some films are moderately serious (Almost anything by Marvel Studios), and we got some not serious movies (Deadpool, GOTG)

Agree.

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Watchmen. Now there was one helluva serious movie. I think it's one of the most fascinating superhero movies made yet, particularly so because the plot and dialogue adhered so closely to the original comic book, and most of the changes that were made were excellent changes, making the movie even better than the book(s) it was based on.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 12:45:09 AM »

Agree.

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Watchmen. Now there was one helluva serious movie. I think it's one of the most fascinating superhero movies made yet, particularly so because the plot and dialogue adhered so closely to the original comic book, and most of the changes that were made were excellent changes, making the movie even better than the book(s) it was based on.

Chris Columbus' Harry Potter movies were practically word for word with maybe five scenes deleted or excised from the books. And yet, no one talks about 'em besides nostalgic purists and John Williams' iconic score for a reason.

YMMV about the changes obviously.

No, serious done right still belongs to M. Night Shyamlan of all people with Unbreakable. It was all about SUperman not realizing he was Superman, and it's the best acting from Samuel L. Jackson that didn't include the MoFo bomb at any point.  It's criminal that critics whined about it being too close to The Sixth Sense...just criminal.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 01:55:09 AM »

No, serious done right still belongs to M. Night Shyamlan of all people with Unbreakable. It was all about SUperman not realizing he was Superman, and it's the best acting from Samuel L. Jackson that didn't include the MoFo bomb at any point.  It's criminal that critics whined about it being too close to The Sixth Sense...just criminal.

Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies