Globalization or Nationalism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:46:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Globalization or Nationalism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you prefer greater globalization or greater nationalism?
Globalization

Nationalism

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Globalization or Nationalism?  (Read 3588 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2017, 04:36:46 PM »

Increasing globalization includes strengthening of international and transnational organizations (EU, UN, etc...), greater involvement in the international community (which may include fair trade over free trade, but still preferring increased trade), increasing openness to international migration (immigration, refugees, asylum seekers), and emphasizing cosmopolitan values in our politics, media, and education.

Increasing nationalism includes decreasing involvement in or withdrawing from international and transnational organizations (EU, UN, etc...), less involvement in the international community (which may include reforming or eliminating existing trade deals and perhaps implementing tariffs), closing borders to international migration (immigration, refugees, asylum seekers), and emphasizing national values (American, French, British, etc...) in our politics, media, and education.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »

I am 100% for greater globalization and would like to see the process altered a bit to be more socially just, but overall I want it increased and sped up.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »

Globalization, in every parameter.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 04:50:21 PM »

I call out both sides.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 04:52:24 PM »

Reagan style nationalism >> Globalism >>>>>>>>>>>>>Le pen style nationalism
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 05:17:32 PM »

I like a sense of nationalism (aka caring for citizens and putting them first) with a mix of globalization, just not extreme "let's sell out the country" globalization
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 05:41:33 PM »

Globalization, in every parameter.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 05:41:36 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2017, 05:49:31 PM by Blue3 »

I want there to be a global government one day (preferably by the United States peacefully absorbing the rest of the world gradually), so pro-globalization.

It's not always executed well, though.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 05:43:04 PM »

I support Globalization when it comes to trade, pro immigrant , and resolving conflicts. I do NOT support globalism on international law should overide national law
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »

I don't believe in cultural relativism, so I oppose nationalism.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »

I want there to be a global government one day (preferably by the United States peacefully absorbing the rest of the world gradually), so pro-globalization.

wut
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »

unfettered globalization is bad, but unfettered nationalism is much, much worse.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 06:40:02 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2017, 06:52:07 PM by Blue3 »

wut

My dream-scenario is for the US to absorb Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand sometime before 2100 (since there would be no language barrier, and they're already developed economies, and not too populated). So, we get 13 new states from Canada from its 10 provinces and 3 territories, around 10-20 from the UK from England/Wales/Scotland/NorthernIreland and its overseas territories like Bermuda and the Falklands, 8 from Australia's 6 states and 2 territories, 2-3 from NZ, probably 2-3 from the Republic of Ireland. Plus granting statehood to the US's territories. And then, with time, absorb other countries. Maybe Europe by 2200. Maybe Latin America and India by 2300. Combine with making the English language even more prevalent worldwide so every student becomes fluent in it as a first or second language in elementary school in every country, and helping the rest of the world with its economic development. Eventually, maybe by like 2800, the United States is the only remaining country, having peacefully absorbed the rest. And, to prevent states' rights from leading to another civil war, also change our system from federal to unitary (still have states, but no more "states' rights"), and just rename the USA to a simple "the Union" like it was known under Lincoln. Keeping the Senate without expanding doesn't make sense, but if the US becomes a world government (and beyond, with space colonies in the Solar System) then it makes sense to keep the Senate around longer until concepts of liberty and democracy are the norm throughout the world like it's within the US, Canada, Western Europe, Australia, etc. today.

When I said global government, I didn't want people to think I meant some undemocratic institution like the current EU or UN.

And yes, of course globalization has not been executed well. But that's no reason to declare globalization as always bad, or that they way we've globalized so far is the only way.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »

"Globalization" can mean a variety of different things.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »

Both have their good and bad sides.  Some would say Hitler was a globalist.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 07:05:13 PM »

Civic nationalism.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »

I believe nations should strive for peaceful, strong, productive relationships with each other, especially their neighbors. But I also do believe they ought to remain nations, not branch offices of a world state. I think the point of a healthy cosmopolitanism is that different cultures are actually different from each other, in terms of customs and beliefs. That doesn't mean there aren't truths that transcend cultural lines and unite all of humanity.

Distancing the officials from those they represent leads to added resentment and spite. I'm always amazed at some of the people I talk to in Madison who have no apparent understanding whatsoever of Trumpism despite being from rust belt places. I suspect the politicians (in both parties) traversing the DC cocktail circuit experience a similar disconnect. Removing the lines around the countries will likely make this worse not better.

I am of the view that being a part of the community in which you live is very important thing to do. If you have no community, you've cut yourself off from everyone besides yourself, or as Theresa May would say, "if you believe you are a citizen of the world, you’re a citizen of nowhere".
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 07:40:15 PM »

Well, globalism has resulted in the rise of demagogues amidst growing anomie and atomization...
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »

Well, globalism has resulted in the rise of demagogues amidst growing anomie and atomization...
That's like blaming the KKK on Lincoln.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 07:42:28 PM »

Or George W. Bush for the rise of the Islamic State?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 07:47:20 PM »

Or George W. Bush for the rise of the Islamic State?

Leftists blamed bush for everything even a hurricane
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »

The mismanagement of social conditions results in a reaction, of sorts, from various members of society that are materially or ideologically threatened by such mismanagement. We can see the consequences of that with Tsarism's abject mismanagement of Russia up to 1917. The mismanagement of the post-Cold War order is now seeing some of its most significant pushback. To say that people should simply "deal with it" is to ignore the fact that there are consequences for those in power.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »

Appreciative as I am of the many positive aspects of Globalization, it's Nationalism for me (within a reasonable sense).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »

Globalization is the future, even if it may be a very long term one. In the short term, if we can just avoid nuclear war or the equivalent, that'd be nice.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 08:08:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length