Globalization or Nationalism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:27:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Globalization or Nationalism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you prefer greater globalization or greater nationalism?
Globalization

Nationalism

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Globalization or Nationalism?  (Read 3648 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: May 07, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »

I believe nations should strive for peaceful, strong, productive relationships with each other, especially their neighbors. But I also do believe they ought to remain nations, not branch offices of a world state. I think the point of a healthy cosmopolitanism is that different cultures are actually different from each other, in terms of customs and beliefs. That doesn't mean there aren't truths that transcend cultural lines and unite all of humanity.

Distancing the officials from those they represent leads to added resentment and spite. I'm always amazed at some of the people I talk to in Madison who have no apparent understanding whatsoever of Trumpism despite being from rust belt places. I suspect the politicians (in both parties) traversing the DC cocktail circuit experience a similar disconnect. Removing the lines around the countries will likely make this worse not better.

I am of the view that being a part of the community in which you live is very important thing to do. If you have no community, you've cut yourself off from everyone besides yourself, or as Theresa May would say, "if you believe you are a citizen of the world, you’re a citizen of nowhere".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies