Does Leslie Rasmussen deserve a comeback?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:08:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does Leslie Rasmussen deserve a comeback?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does Leslie Rasmussen deserve a comeback?
Yes

Maybe eventually

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: Does Leslie Rasmussen deserve a comeback?  (Read 5229 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2017, 05:34:06 PM »

Leslie Rasmussen, the drummer for the all-female band Good English, was a childhood friend of Brock Turner, who was convicted of sexual assault (the rape charge was dropped) in June 2016 and served 3 months of a 6-month sentence (handed down by a liberal judge appointed by Gov. Gray Davis, and also a swimmer at Turner's school) before being released; he is on the sex offender list for life. Rasumssen wrote a letter of reference for Turner; while such things are technically in the public record, normally no one would have any reason to widely disseminate such a letter. However, word of her letter was shared with a music festival organizer in NYC, who canceled Good English's gig. A festival in Rasumssen's homewtown of Dayton, OH likewise canceled. A google search reveals no items on Rasmussen or her band dated after June 9, 2016; she posted two very eloquent apologies on her Facebook page June 8; she posted a photo Dec. 2 with a new hair color. How many words of four or more letters can you form from the letters in "BLACKLISTED"?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »

Did anybody click this link assuming Scott Rasmussen had come out as transgender?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 05:42:24 PM »

Did anybody click this link assuming Scott Rasmussen had come out as transgender?
I didn't know that. Perhaps.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 05:53:34 PM »

I didn't quite get that far, but I got close. Smiley
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »

BLACK
BLACKLIST
BLACKED
BACK
BACKED
BADE
sorry, I took myself literally.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 08:41:16 PM »

BLACK
LIST
BLAST
TACK
SACK
LACK
BACK
BALK
TABLE
TABLED
BLED
STEAD

May I continue?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 02:01:42 AM »

*raises hand* Also, is Leslie Rasmussen Scott Rasmussen's daughter? The Internet must know!
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 02:38:10 PM »

BLACK
LIST
BLAST
TACK
SACK
LACK
BACK
BALK
TABLE
TABLED
BLED
STEAD

May I continue?
Of course.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 02:43:02 PM »

The irony, of course, being that efforts to de-normalize sexual assault and its apologists have resulted in hurting the careers of three fiercely independent, female-empowering musicians. Plus, as you may have guessed, I do not think one's career should be ruined over a single decision, the ramifications of which Rasmussen could not possibly have been aware.

I say play her at music festivals again; she and her band have suffered enough, and quite unfairly I might add.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 08:53:01 PM »

She blamed his rape on colleges "supporting partying" and literally said we "need to stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day".  no.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »

I am also concerned that in the future, sensitive and erudite people may be more reluctant to write letters of reference for others, for fear that something unknown might arise from these "others" that comes back to bite the writer in the behind, as it were. This might result in, on average, stricter sentences for those convicted of minor drug offenses, for instance-- hardly a result that would please anyone other than those of an ultraconservative or reactionary mindset.

I fail to see how the continued silencing of Rasumssen is good for anyone (except maybe for those who like to see good people suffer). Plenty of well-placed outrage was expressed at Turner's sentence, and Turner and others who might do as he did have hopefully learned a lesson. But it is time to lift the silence on Rasumssen and her band. Let them play!
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »

She blamed his rape on colleges "supporting partying" and literally said we "need to stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day".  no.
Was Brock Turner convicted of rape?

Was he even tried for rape?

According to RAINN, rape and sexual assault are NOT the exact same thing (though one often includes the other): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_assault#Definition

Is there something wrong about her "politically correct" comment--wrong enough to justify her being banned from publicly performing for life? Help me out, please.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
"Harsh punishment for 20 minutes of action"
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 06:51:51 PM »

According to RAINN, rape and sexual assault are NOT the exact same thing (though one often includes the other): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_assault#Definition

Is there something wrong about her "politically correct" comment--wrong enough to justify her being banned from publicly performing for life? Help me out, please.

I find her politically correct comment inappropriate in this context. And I'm not sure about the law, but I consider sexual assaulting someone while asleep rape. I think most would.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 07:29:49 PM »

I find her politically correct comment inappropriate in this context. And I'm not sure about the law, but I consider sexual assaulting someone while asleep rape. I think most would.
Point well taken, and I would agree. I was referring to the legal sense of the term and that the rape charge against Turner was dropped.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
"Harsh punishment for 20 minutes of action"
^^^ what does Turner's father's stupid and insensitive comment have to do with Rasumssen, exactly?

And why are all the "naysayers" Democrats?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies