MI Governor 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:34:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI Governor 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Poll
Question: MI Governor 2018
Gretchen Whitmer

other Democrat

a Republican

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 181

Author Topic: MI Governor 2018  (Read 19234 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:12:02 PM »

Gov. Snyder's popularity is in the tank because of the Flint water crisis and the tax on pensions. Who wins in 2018, taking office in Jan. 2019?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2017, 07:56:38 PM by AKCreative »

Michigan regularly flips the gov house to the party that doesn't hold the White House.   That plus Snyder being quite toxic now leads me to believe Gretchen has a really good chance next year.

Gretchen will win both the primary and general.

The State Senate map is horrible for Democrats, not just gerrymandering but the geography of Michigan really works against them.   The State House, however, could flip.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 08:20:57 PM »

My guess is Kildee decides to defend his seat (which swung from Obama 61-38 to Clinton 50-46) and Whitmer wins the nomination easily barring a challenge from a celebrity candidate (Michael Moore the first that comes to mind, I doubt he goes for it).

Whitmer wins the GE by a comfortable margin. Big hypothetical, but if she is reelected and maintains strong numbers I suspect she will be discussed as a VP pick as early as 2024 if not a POTUS candidate herself.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 10:43:06 PM »

My guess is Kildee decides to defend his seat (which swung from Obama 61-38 to Clinton 50-46) and Whitmer wins the nomination easily barring a challenge from a celebrity candidate (Michael Moore the first that comes to mind, I doubt he goes for it).

Whitmer wins the GE by a comfortable margin. Big hypothetical, but if she is reelected and maintains strong numbers I suspect she will be discussed as a VP pick as early as 2024 if not a POTUS candidate herself.

I just saw a clip from 2013 where she spoke out against a restrictive abortion ban. She discussed her own rape as her reason why. It was seriously emotional and courageous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiHHg7O6zHM
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 02:35:13 PM »

I just saw a clip from 2013 where she spoke out against a restrictive abortion ban. She discussed her own rape as her reason why. It was seriously emotional and courageous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiHHg7O6zHM
I agree, that clip might help put her over the top, and even win her support among people who consider themselves pro-life.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »

Hope Abdul El-Sayed wins!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 12:13:35 AM »

The State Senate map is horrible for Democrats, not just gerrymandering but the geography of Michigan really works against them.   The State House, however, could flip.

Does the governor have veto power over redistricting in Michigan, or do they have a North Carolina setup?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 12:38:30 AM »

Does the governor have veto power over redistricting in Michigan, or do they have a North Carolina setup?

Both sets of map(s) are subject to veto.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 04:11:44 AM »

I am down on Abdul, this race is too important to have some guy whose never run for anything before to be the nominee. Whitmer has won six election and led the Senate D caucus she knows what it takes to win.
JMT

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »

Kildee will announce today that he is NOT running for Governor, will run for reelection instead.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/kildee-passes-run-governors-race
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 11:13:37 AM »

Kildee will announce today that he is NOT running for Governor, will run for reelection instead.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/kildee-passes-run-governors-race

Looks like its gonna be a coronation for Whitmer, who is a pretty good candidate, all things considered.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »

Yeah it's probably Whitmer's to lose at this point, barring an unexpectedly amazing Republican candidate.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 05:41:17 PM »

I'll be ready to vote for the D in MI, but I have so little faith in this state party right now, that I wouldn't be surprised if they screw this up.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 05:57:37 PM »

At this point, Democrat Gretchen Whitmer. If she is elected governor in 2018, it would be historical. Jennifer Granholm, the first female Michigan governor, a Democrat, and then Whitmer.

However, if Lansing mayor Virg Bernero runs for governor again, it's Lean Bernero in the Democratic gubernatorial primary. Virg is a tough campaigner, and could have beaten Rick Snyder in a 2014 rematch.
Duke of York

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 12:46:44 PM »

At this point, Democrat Gretchen Whitmer. If she is elected governor in 2018, it would be historical. Jennifer Granholm, the first female Michigan governor, a Democrat, and then Whitmer.

However, if Lansing mayor Virg Bernero runs for governor again, it's Lean Bernero in the Democratic gubernatorial primary. Virg is a tough campaigner, and could have beaten Rick Snyder in a 2014 rematch.

The election is probably Whitmer's to lose at this point. How likely is it that Bernero runs? I haven't heard any talk he will run again.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 06:14:16 PM »

El-Sayed is cool, but he should have stayed in Detroit. Could have run for Mayor down the line and built up a base. It was foolish to leave.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »

Whitmer will make a great governor.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 07:03:28 PM »

I preferred Kildee, but Whitmer is a decent candidate. I'm confidant about the Dems' prospects.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 07:18:43 PM »

I preferred Kildee, but Whitmer is a decent candidate. I'm confidant about the Dems' prospects.
I'm confident too. Even if the GOP nominates a decent candidate, which they probably will (Candice Miller and Ruth Johnson are both possible), Clinton Republicans will see a vote for a Dem as a vote against Trump, while Johnson supporters and even some disgrunted Trump supporters will vote Dem for change. (Mark Schauer in 2014 received 44.4% of the vote in Macomb, where voters were already souring on Snyder).
Duke of York

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »

I think she will win too. Hopefully the Democrats get the other statewide offices too and the state legislature. I know the State Senate will be nearly impossible unless there is a massive wave.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 11:22:17 AM »

I'll be ready to vote for the D in MI, but I have so little faith in this state party right now, that I wouldn't be surprised if they screw this up.

Why?   They win a majority of the votes in the state legislature all the time,  and it wasn't long ago they had the governor seat.    They still hold both Senator seats too.   

Really the state Dem party in Michigan is quite effective, they just get screwed by both geography and gerrymandering.
Duke of York

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »

Why?   They win a majority of the votes in the state legislature all the time,  and it wasn't long ago they had the governor seat.    They still hold both Senator seats too.   

Really the state Dem party in Michigan is quite effective, they just get screwed by both geography and gerrymandering.
Hopefully they don't get screwed next year and get the state legislature.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 11:39:26 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have the Republicans holding the Michigan Senate since 1984, and the Michigan House 16 of the past 22 years. That is pretty weak on the Democrats' part.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 11:49:14 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have the Republicans holding the Michigan Senate since 1984, and the Michigan House 16 of the past 22 years. That is pretty weak on the Democrats' part.

Look over the total votes,  the Democrats do win a majority of the votes regularly.   They're just compacted into urban areas and the districts are drawn to favor Republicans.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »

Why?   They win a majority of the votes in the state legislature all the time,  and it wasn't long ago they had the governor seat.    They still hold both Senator seats too.  

Look over the total votes,  the Democrats do win a majority of the votes regularly.   They're just compacted into urban areas and the districts are drawn to favor Republicans.
Not only that, but much the GOP appeal outstate has to do with standing against the Dem leadership from Detroit. These types of appeals are less resonant with Millennials; once again, this young, politically active generation, dismayed that a state with 2/3 of the world's fresh water supply cannot provide clean water to one of its largest cities, will change the politics of a state.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies