MI Governor 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:42:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI Governor 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Poll
Question: MI Governor 2018
Gretchen Whitmer

other Democrat

a Republican

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 181

Author Topic: MI Governor 2018  (Read 19241 times)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »

I like Whitmer, but I have doubts that she can win a statewide race. I feel like Kildee would've been the stronger candidate between the two, but he obviously opted not to run. I hope someone else jumps in.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »

Whitmer is a strong candidate - she connects well with voters and shows incredible discipline on the campaign trail. The damage that Snyder and the Flint crisis have done to the Michigan GOP as well as being on the ticket with Stabenow will help her.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 09:34:17 PM »

Politico on Abdul El-Sayed.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 02:25:03 AM »

I wish he had waited, but goddamn, I want El-Sayed to win.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »

I'll be ready to vote for the D in MI, but I have so little faith in this state party right now, that I wouldn't be surprised if they screw this up.

Why?   They win a majority of the votes in the state legislature all the time,  and it wasn't long ago they had the governor seat.    They still hold both Senator seats too.   

Really the state Dem party in Michigan is quite effective, they just get screwed by both geography and gerrymandering.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have the Republicans holding the Michigan Senate since 1984, and the Michigan House 16 of the past 22 years. That is pretty weak on the Democrats' part.

Look over the total votes,  the Democrats do win a majority of the votes regularly.   They're just compacted into urban areas and the districts are drawn to favor Republicans.
That mean nothing.Numbers like that can be skewed by candidates running without opposition or token opposition. Saying "they win at large" when "at large" is not a race is trivial and meaningless.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »

I'll be ready to vote for the D in MI, but I have so little faith in this state party right now, that I wouldn't be surprised if they screw this up.

Why?   They win a majority of the votes in the state legislature all the time,  and it wasn't long ago they had the governor seat.    They still hold both Senator seats too.   

Really the state Dem party in Michigan is quite effective, they just get screwed by both geography and gerrymandering.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have the Republicans holding the Michigan Senate since 1984, and the Michigan House 16 of the past 22 years. That is pretty weak on the Democrats' part.

Look over the total votes,  the Democrats do win a majority of the votes regularly.   They're just compacted into urban areas and the districts are drawn to favor Republicans.
That mean nothing.Numbers like that can be skewed by candidates running without opposition or token opposition. Saying "they win at large" when "at large" is not a race is trivial and meaningless.

The context is the gubernatorial election, which is, effectively, an at large district.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »

I think Whitmer emerges from the primary and selects El-Sayed as her running mate to appease the Bernie crowd that has already lined up behind Abdul. I think she wins thanks to the Trump midterm with 52-54%.

I said the day after the 2014 election that we'd have a Democratic governor in 2018 no matter who was president. That seems to be coming true.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »

Abdul did not even vote in the primary so why are Bernie people lining up behind him?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2017, 03:05:50 PM »

Abdul did not even vote in the primary so why are Bernie people lining up behind him?

"fight teh evulz establishMENTAL"
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2017, 03:51:05 PM »

Maybe, just maybe, it's not about Bernie, but instead the ideals and policies Bernie supported?
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2017, 05:54:10 PM »

Has Abdul El-Sayed actually received any traction, or are you guys just pearl-clutching at the thought of "purity progressives" as usual? As far as I know, El-Sayed is polling in the single digits and doesn't look like a real threat to Whitmer, but if the Left has indeed lined up behind him, I can't say I'm surprised, considering that he's running on (IIRC) a platform that includes support for single-payer and a $15 minimum wage.

Per Politico, he's "pulling out of high single digits," so charitably he's in the low 10s, which is less than half of Whitmer.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »

Maybe, just maybe, it's not about Bernie, but instead the ideals and policies Bernie supported?

That's why so many of you guys like Tulsi Gabbard, right?  Roll Eyes
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2017, 07:23:27 PM »

Not that the competition is exactly stiff, but Whitmer will definitely be the best looking Governor in America.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2017, 07:37:37 PM »

Not that the competition is exactly stiff, but Whitmer will definitely be the best looking Governor in America.

What about Newsom in California?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2017, 07:58:58 PM »

What about Newsom in California?

I can't judge men. Of course only a bisexual would be able to compare men and women in this.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 09:55:57 PM by Virginia »

That's why so many of you guys like Tulsi Gabbard, right?  Roll Eyes
1) $*&(@ Tulsi Gabbard.

2) I caucused for Hillary, so I don't know who your "you" is referring to.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2017, 08:55:04 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 10:02:06 PM by Virginia »

That's why so many of you guys like Tulsi Gabbard, right?  Roll Eyes
1) $*&(@ Tulsi Gabbard.

2) I caucused for Hillary, so I don't know who your "you" is referring to.

Sorry, I seem to have misinterpreted your post.  I thought you were saying Sanders supporters are only concerned about ideals and policies.  Many Sanders supporters are (myself among them), but there are definitely some who are basically personality cultists who support people like Gabbard just b/c they endorsed Sanders in 2016.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2017, 04:04:22 AM »

The race is lean at Lean Democratic. Whitmer is probably the best candidate so far with the greatest chances for an individual. But it's still early.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »

Why?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2017, 03:15:35 PM »

Because it appears the Democratic party elites cannot learn.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2017, 08:26:25 PM »

Wow! Congrats Democratic nominee El-Sayed!

That'd be nice
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 08:36:10 PM »

What did Ossoff's campaign manager do particularly wrong, though?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 08:41:07 PM »

Ossoff sucked in $30 million, didn't run on anything, and lost by a bigger margin than he did the first time. Lost by a bigger margin than Hillary Clinton. And I didn't think it was possible to be a worse candidate than her.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2017, 09:18:45 PM »

Ossoff sucked in $30 million, didn't run on anything, and lost by a bigger margin than he did the first time. Lost by a bigger margin than Hillary Clinton. And I didn't think it was possible to be a worse candidate than her.

From what I'm seeing, Ossoff actually won the exact same share of the vote as he did the first time, if not 0.1% more. I personally think it's a little unfair to blame his campaign management for a race he was slated to lose from the start, and Handel's campaign wasn't exactly low on funds either. The national spotlight ended up hurting his campaign more than it helped, and that was more as a result of the media and the national environment than his campaign.

I'm not trying to say that this was some perfect campaign but I personally wouldn't go as far as to say that his campaign was particularly bad. And he did worse than Hillary because he didn't have the privilege of running against Donald Trump in a district as poorly suited for Trump as GA-06. Yes, Handel didn't distance herself from him, but it's still not the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies