Which is the more difficult challenge for Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:03:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which is the more difficult challenge for Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Holding all of their 25 Senate seats

Picking up 3 Republican Senate seats

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Which is the more difficult challenge for Democrats?  (Read 733 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »

Option 1 IMO. I could see 2 happening even if there is no wave (a victory in the AL Special election + Heller defeat + Flake defeat or - more likely - a victory in Utah), but I really don't see how 1 is possible in anything but a big landslide. Especially MO and IN will require a big wave.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »

I don't think Option 2 happens unless Option 1 is already happening, so Option 2.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:16:55 PM »

I know what you think McCaskill's and Donnelly's odds are Tongue, but whatever they may be, they're still better the than Democrats' odd of winning a race in Alabama, Texas, or Utah.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2017, 09:24:55 PM by MT Treasurer »

I know what you think McCaskill's and Donnelly's odds are Tongue, but whatever they may be, they're still better the than Democrats' odd of winning a race in Alabama, Texas, or Utah.

Well, if 2018 is more of a neutral year and the GOP gets top-tier candidates in all the "red" states (WV, MT, ND Tongue, IN, MO) and the Democrats are in good shape in NV and one or both of AZ/UT, I don't think this is THAT implausible. This also assumes that Moore lost the special election by 3 or so.

Utah of course would require someone like Matheson to run and a McMullin Independent candidacy or something like that.
mieastwick
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:22:29 PM »

My guess is Cruz+Flake+Heller going down is the most likely way for the Dems to pick up three Senate seats. Cruz behaved himself horribly over the course of 2016.

My gut tells me Heller and Flake have no future in 2018.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »

In 1964, 25 Democratic seats were up. The Democrats picked up 3 Republican seats, but lost 1
seat, California. The idea of the Democrats losing a Senate seat in California in an epic Democratic wave seems absurd today, but it happened.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 09:37:59 PM »

In 1964, 25 Democratic seats were up. The Democrats picked up 3 Republican seats, but lost 1
seat, California. The idea of the Democrats losing a Senate seat in California in an epic Democratic wave seems absurd today, but it happened.

Coincidentally that is the same class up in 2018. Spooky.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 09:47:42 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2017, 09:49:26 PM by Ronnie »

Option 2 would entail a Democrat winning in Texas.  It, by default, will be harder for Dems to do that than hold all their seats.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 10:31:04 PM »

My guess is Cruz+Flake+Heller going down is the most likely way for the Dems to pick up three Senate seats. Cruz behaved himself horribly over the course of 2016.

Alabama or Utah are both more likely (smaller, plus Cruz's vulnerability is overstated and O'Rourke is WAY too liberal).

Option 2 would entail a Democrat winning in Texas.  It, by default, will be harder for Dems to do that than hold all their seats.
Or Alabama, or Utah.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 11:23:36 PM »

Irrelevant considering Utah voted to the left of Arizona that year (both on the Presidential level AND in Congress where they had a Democratic Senator get re-elected by flying colors)
Young Moderate Republican
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 12:12:52 AM »

The chance of Cruz losing resembles something less than a 0% chance. Dems will hype O'Rourke like they did Wendy Davis and he will lose by 15-20 points. He's more popular here than Trump was in 2016.
mieastwick
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 05:10:52 PM »

34% of AL voters went for HRC and 27% of voters in Utah did. For Texas, it's 43%. Texas also has a huge yet untapped Hispanic population that is far, far larger than that of Alabama or Utah. If the Democrats are competent, they could easily register hundreds of thousands of them in a year. Likewise, a much larger portion of Texas's non-Hispanic White population has a college degree than that of Utah and Alabama. With those types of demographics, it is much more vulnerable to a 2018 upset than either Utah or Alabama is. Alabama White voters are very Trumpy. Utah voters are the most economically conservative in America. Neither Alabama or Utah is going D. Meanwhile, Fort Bend County reminds me very much of Gwinnett, Wake, and Fairfax.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 08:24:14 PM »

Coincidentally that is the same class up in 2018. Spooky.

Ironically If Hillary won 2018 would literally be her 1994 as its the same class.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies