FT 2-04: Concurrent Elections Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:17:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 2-04: Concurrent Elections Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 2-04: Concurrent Elections Amendment (Failed)  (Read 574 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »
« edited: May 22, 2017, 08:44:38 PM by Barnes »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

ii. ii. The following shall be inserted following Article I, Section 6 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont, and all successive sections renumbered accordingly:

ii. The existing Article I, Section 7 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

Section 3 (Ministerial elections)
i. Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

ii. The following shall be inserted following Article II, Section 3 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont, and all successive sections renumbered accordingly:

Section 3 (Early elections)
i. Article V, Section 4 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

ii. Article V, Section 6 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

iii. Article V, Section 9 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended to read as follows:
[/quote]
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:31:29 PM »

Order, order! I call the Prime Minister.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »

I rise to enthusiastically support these constitutional amendments moved by the Prime Minister. These alterations to our constitution will cement our parliamentary system of government in the Commonwealth and serve as a draw to interested players looking for a different style of government to the rest of Atlasia.

As I proposed in my election manifesto, these reforms tie the terms of the Prime Minister and the House to ensure that our elections consistently produce governments which reflect the will of the people. Furthermore, the House will now have the ability to bring down the Prime Minister in a non-confidence motion and thus exercise a significant check on the power of the executive. As a counter-balancing feature, the Prime Minister will now have the ability to dissolve the House for an early election. In so doing, however, he will also submit his own position to the will of the voters.

I do plan to propose a few amendments, however. Namely, including a provision that whenever a Prime Minister resigns, the House is automatically dissolved and an early election called; and, a limitation of perhaps four weeks on the power of the PM to dissolve the House.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 07:04:22 PM »

My thanks to the Speaker.

In simplest terms, as I conceive of it, this amendment serves as a capstone to the parliamentary reforms begun this past January by the introduction of the Second Constitution. More specifically, the proposal on the floor would make the following changes to the governing constitution:

(1) Under the current system, the prime minister serves a term of four months, while the House of Commons sits for half that period (with elections taking place every two months). The amendment would adjust these terms by specifying that all elected officers of the region serve terms of three months, barring an early election. As the honorable Speaker correctly notes, this will have the effect of ensuring that the entire parliament (PM + members) is elected at once, ensuring that the prime minister and the Commons are not acting on separate and possibly conflicting mandates.
(2) The proposed amendment would allow the prime minister to dissolve the parliament and call for early elections, as is done in Britain. It would likewise allow the Commons to pass a vote of No Confidence by a 3/5 majority.
(3) The date for the inauguration of new MPs is moved from the Friday after election to the Wednesday after the election, allowing for quicker turnover between governments.

I am interested to see what the membership thinks of this proposal, and to hear any proposed adjustments as the Speaker and others may feel necessary.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 03:25:39 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2017, 03:30:03 PM by Barnes »

I move the following amendments (all of which are colored red for ease of identifying):

ii. ii. The following shall be inserted following Article I, Section 6 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont, and all successive sections renumbered accordingly:

ii. The existing Article I, Section 7 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

Section 3 (Ministerial elections)
i. Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

ii. The following shall be inserted following Article II, Section 3 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont, and all successive sections renumbered accordingly:

iii. Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

Section 3 (Early elections)
i. Article V, Section 4 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

ii. Article V, Section 6 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended as follows:

iii. Article V, Section 9 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont shall be amended to read as follows:
[/quote]
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »

A reminder that Honorable Members have about two hours left to object to the adoption of the proposed amendments to the legislation.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 04:07:27 PM »

The amendments are adopted nemine contradicente. Order!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »

All sound adjustments, to my eye; I thank the Speaker.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 09:39:50 PM »

Ideally, I'd like to hear someone other than me and Barnes to weigh in on this; but if there is no further debate, I will motion for a final vote tomorrow.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »

Right then, I move for a final vote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 11:02:15 PM »

Members have twenty-four hours to object to the Prime Minister's motion.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 01:08:53 PM »

There being no objection, the motion is agreed to.

The question is now that this bill now be approved. As many as are of that opinion, say Aye; those opposed, No. Division!

I remind Members of the constitutional requirement that at least a four-fifths majority must be reached to approve this bill.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »

AYE!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 03:17:37 PM »

abstain
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 03:37:20 PM »

Aye!
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 06:09:27 PM »

Aye
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 08:44:19 PM »

Order! My apologies for not updating this yesterday.

The result of the division is Ayes: three; Noes: nil, with one abstention. Having not received the constitutionally required four-fifths majority, the question is resolved in the negative.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 09:45:54 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2017, 09:48:33 PM by Prime Minister Truman »

It's very disappointing to see this fail, considering only one member apart from the sponsor even bothered to voice an opinion on the matter prior to the vote. If this keeps up, I might have to dust off the bullhorn and cattle prod from my ConCon days and reinstate myself as Nag-in-Chief of Atlasia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies