Center for American Progress Ideas Conference 9am-4pm **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:56:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Center for American Progress Ideas Conference 9am-4pm **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Center for American Progress Ideas Conference 9am-4pm **live commentary thread**  (Read 4082 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »
« edited: May 15, 2017, 10:05:49 PM by Mr. Morden »

This event is a week away, but I figured I’d start the thread early to crowd source information on it.  It’s the first cattle call of the 2020 cycle, and several prospective 2020 Dems will be there.  This lineup was announced in March:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/democratic-party-realignment-cpac-235806

Booker
Bullock
Garcetti
Gillibrand
Harris
Murphy
Warren

And now this new story suggests that Kander will also be speaking:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/dems-next-nominee-president-might-speaking-conference/

Has any additional information been released yet?  Any additional speakers?  Looks like Schumer is headlining some kind of after party:

http://interact.americanprogress.org/invitation/2017/ProgressiveParty/index.html

but otherwise I don’t have any info on how this thing is going to operate, or who will speak when.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2017, 09:05:07 AM by Mr. Morden »

OK, I managed to find this press release here:

http://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000015b-e912-d192-a75f-fd1b08610000

It includes the full schedule of the event, though it says that the schedule is tentative, and they may add more speakers.  Looks like it runs from about 9am to 4pm.  Looks like some additional 2020ers will be there who weren’t previously announced, like Klobuchar and McAuliffe.  Also looks like the previously mentioned Kander and Murphy will only be participating on panels, not giving solo speeches.

speeches (in chronological order):

Eric Garcetti (opening keynote)
Roy Cooper*
Susan Rice
Amy Klobuchar*
Nancy Pelosi
Kirsten Gillibrand
Kamala Harris
Elizabeth Warren (lunch keynote)
Steve Bullock
Tom Steyer*
Khizr Khan
Terry McAuliffe
Cory Booker (closing keynote)

* = listed as “in conversation”.  I don’t know what that means.  Maybe they’ll be interviewed rather than giving a speech?

It is open to credentialed media, including broadcast cameras, so maybe it’ll be viewable on C-Span?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 10:58:21 AM »

Good mix of folks.
Kylar
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »

Roy Cooper?? why does anyone think he is 2020 material? Just wondering Smiley not trying to pick a fight Smiley
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »

Roy Cooper?? why does anyone think he is 2020 material? Just wondering Smiley not trying to pick a fight Smiley
He won Governorship in a year when two other Democrats failed. He seems like a good guy and all, but I don't think he's a particularly great 2020 candidate. I see his appeal to some on this board though. His biggest challenge is trying to achieve anything in a state with such a morally bankrupt GOP as NC.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »

OK, here’s the final agenda, which I think is identical to the tentative agenda that I already posted:

https://cdn.americanprogress.org/content/uploads/2017/03/09082832/2017-CAP-Ideas-Conference-agenda1.pdf

9am hour: opening keynote by Eric Garcetti, followed by Economic Policy panel which includes Jeff Merkley

10am hour: Roy Cooper, Susan Rice, Amy Klobuchar, Nancy Pelosi

11am hour: Kirsten Gillibrand, National Security and Russia panel which includes Chris Murphy and Adam Schiff

12pm hour: lunch keynote by Elizabeth Warren

1pm hour: Steve Bullock, Tom Steyer, “The Resistance” panel

2:20pm: Khizr Khan, followed by Terry McAuliffe

3pm hour: Civil Rights and Democracy panel which includes Keith Ellison and Jason Kander, followed by closing keynote by Cory Booker

Conference closes at 4pm.

I don’t know if any of this will be covered by C-Span, but it’ll at least stream on Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_oSwXIufMA
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 10:05:07 PM »

I am not going to make a habit of doing this, but since Dave ignores all of my pleas for him to take away my mod powers, I'm going to use them to sticky this thread for the next ~24 hours or so.  If any of the actual 2020 board mods object, feel free to un-sticky it, and I won't complain.

The first "cattle call" of the 2020 race is tomorrow starting at 9am ET, so feel free to discuss it here.  Live video stream is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_oSwXIufMA
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 01:21:43 AM »

Lol, is this supposed to be the liberal version of CPAC? One day seems to be really short for something like this.

Pretty interesting line up.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 01:27:35 AM »

Also, not surprised that there is only one Pro-Israel (by my definition) speaker at a CAP event, and that's Elizabeth Warren.

CAP's bias against Israel is decently documented. #notsurprised
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 04:46:53 AM »

Also, not surprised that there is only one Pro-Israel (by my definition) speaker at a CAP event, and that's Elizabeth Warren.

Huh?  How is Warren as far to the right on Israel as Booker, Gillibrand, and Klobuchar?  Warren said nothing on UN Security Council Resolution 2334, while both Booker and Gillibrand were quite critical.  Booker, Gillibrand, and Klobuchar are all among the 78 Senators co-sponsoring Rubio’s resolution that condemns the UN action, while Warren is not:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-resolution/6/cosponsors

Booker, Gillibrand, and Klobuchar were all among the Senators who signed on to a letter urging Kerry to use US aid to the Palestinian Authority as a lever to block them from joining the International Criminal Court, while Warren did not.  Booker, Gillibrand, and Klobuchar also signed on to a resolution in support of Israel’s actions in Operation Protective Edge, which Warren also did not do:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/1/30/1361281/-75-Senators-Sign-Letter-to-Kerry-Defending-Israeli-War-Crimes-Demanding-More-Palestinian-Suffering

Finally, Warren was one of only 8 Senators to boycott Netanyahu’s speech before Congress, which Booker, Gillibrand, and Klobuchar all attended.

Warren took the more “dovish” line on all of the above, and the only other Senators to agree with her in in every single one of those cases were Leahy and Sanders.  She seems to be one of the least hawkish Senators on Israel.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 05:23:09 AM »

Weigel has a short preview of the event here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/05/15/possible-2020-democratic-presidential-hopefuls-gather-for-progressive-ideas-conference/?utm_term=.e8ff4eea3abb
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 05:26:14 AM »

Booker & Gillibrand don't have that solid ideology, they just do it for the donors. Booker actually voted for the Iran Deal & then apologized & what not.

Gillibrand's record is shocking, she literally reversed every position of hers, she was a proud blue dog who took pride in her conservative record & all of a sudden she is beyond a raging liberal. I wouldn't go & assume Booker & Gillibrand are Israel hawks - Just political opportunists !
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 05:36:54 AM »

Huh?  How is Warren as far to the right on Israel as Booker, Gillibrand, and Klobuchar?  Warren said nothing on UN Security Council Resolution 2334, while both Booker and Gillibrand were quite critical.  Booker, Gillibrand, and Klobuchar are all among the 78 Senators co-sponsoring Rubio’s resolution that condemns the UN action, while Warren is not:

Booker, Gillibrand, and Klobuchar were all among the Senators who signed on to a letter urging Kerry to use US aid to the Palestinian Authority as a lever to block them from joining the International Criminal Court, while Warren did not.  Booker, Gillibrand, and Klobuchar also signed on to a resolution in support of Israel’s actions in Operation Protective Edge, which Warren also did not do:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/1/30/1361281/-75-Senators-Sign-Letter-to-Kerry-Defending-Israeli-War-Crimes-Demanding-More-Palestinian-Suffering

Finally, Warren was one of only 8 Senators to boycott Netanyahu’s speech before Congress, which Booker, Gillibrand, and Klobuchar all attended.

Warren took the more “dovish” line on all of the above, and the only other Senators to agree with her in in every single one of those cases were Leahy and Sanders.  She seems to be one of the least hawkish Senators on Israel.

In my opinion, Warren was, and personally still is, quite hawkish on Israel, but turned dovish to pander to the far left base.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 05:55:51 AM »

In my opinion, Warren was, and personally still is, quite hawkish on Israel, but turned dovish to pander to the far left base.

I agree that she shifted to the left on Israel over time, but I don’t think she’s “hawkish in her heart”, or anything like that.  I think she just doesn’t care about foreign policy at all, and gives boilerplate responses on foreign policy questions, Israel included.  Her past “hawkish” comments on Israel are the same things that virtually every other Democratic Senator says on the subject: She supports a 2-state solution, opposes unilateral moves by the Palestinians to join the UN, and defends “Israel’s right to defend itself”, etc.  Does that count as being “quite hawkish” on Israel?  Maybe, but that’s where virtually every other Democratic Senator is too.  By that standard, more than 95% of the Senate is “quite hawkish” on Israel.

What’s happened over time is that, because the people she’s aligned with on domestic policy are largely to the left of every Democratic Senator on Israel, she’s shifted to a new set of boilerplate responses on the issue.  But I wouldn’t assume that she actually has any deeply felt sentiments on it one way or the other.  By all indications, foreign policy ranks at the bottom of issues that she spends time thinking about.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 07:28:46 AM »

Apparently, this is what the room looks like:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 09:31:49 AM »

Btw, looks like this is airing on C-Span 3.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »

Chris Murphy is really quick with knowledgeable answers on the foreign policy questions. He does, however, have this mild habit where he doesn't really finish a sentence and just keeps talking.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »

Chris Murphy is really quick with knowledgeable answers on the foreign policy questions. He does, however, have this mild habit where he doesn't really finish a sentence and just keeps talking.
He'd probably make a solid SoS.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 11:23:02 AM »

Kamala Harris had a really nice speech on drug addiction policy. She's definitely a rising star in our party. I don't see her as our 2020 nominee, but maybe a VP pick or a 2024 runner. Excited to listen to Warren speak.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »

I watched Garcetti’s speech this morning, and it seemed mostly apolitical, barely mentioning Trump or the Republican Party.  Like the sort of speech you would expect from a tech company executive about how automation and globalization are creating new challenges, and we have to rise to the occasion to meet them.  Direct quote: “[People] want to hear less about winning arguments, and more about getting results.”  He did mention fighting Trumpcare though.

Not sure if all of the speeches are like that.  Is anyone serving up red meat, like a Ted Cruz CPAC speech?  I watched part of Klobuchar’s interview thing, and it was similarly not very partisan, but in that case she was being interviewed, so at the mercy of what the interviewer wanted to talk about.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »

Oh, and Klobuchar had what she herself jokingly referred to as a "Marco Rubio moment", in that she had to stop mid-sentence to get a drink of water.   Tongue
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »

Steve Bullock is super impressive.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »

He'd quite honestly be a great candidate should he choose to run. That speech was really really good. Hope he continues to raise his national profile.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »

OK, lunchtime for me, so I'm catching up on some of these speeches.  Just started Warren's speech, and she's looking down at her notes quite a bit, which I guess means that there's no teleprompter in the room.  I should go back to some of the other speeches to see if anyone else was relying on their notes very much.  I think Harris did to an extent as well, but with Warren it's more obvious because her head goes up and down with much greater frequency.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »

OK, Kamala Harris is a pretty good speaker.  Her speech was more substantive than partisan (focusing on drug sentencing), but I think she could pull off putting up partisan red meat when appropriate.

Warren's speech had more partisan red meat than all of the others combined, with Gillibrand in second place on that front.  (No surprise in either case there.)  Have only listened to the very beginning of Bullock's speech, and I don't think McAuliffe or Booker have spoken yet.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies