Center for American Progress Ideas Conference 9am-4pm **live commentary thread** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:48:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Center for American Progress Ideas Conference 9am-4pm **live commentary thread** (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Center for American Progress Ideas Conference 9am-4pm **live commentary thread**  (Read 4134 times)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: May 16, 2017, 01:21:43 AM »

Lol, is this supposed to be the liberal version of CPAC? One day seems to be really short for something like this.

Pretty interesting line up.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 01:27:35 AM »

Also, not surprised that there is only one Pro-Israel (by my definition) speaker at a CAP event, and that's Elizabeth Warren.

CAP's bias against Israel is decently documented. #notsurprised
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »

FTR - I agree with what ParrotGuy said. Warren is very Pro-Israel, much more than Cory Booker. (Also, Klobuchar is also relatively Pro-Israel, didn't see her name earlier, my b.)

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2017, 07:14:59 PM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

Warren is very Pro-Israel, much more than Cory Booker.

What in the world makes you think that?  (That is, assuming that by "Pro-Israel" you're talking about siding more with Israel over the Palestinians.)  Like I said upthread, Warren's past comments on Israel, before she started to drift in a more dovish direction, were just the same sort of boilerplate comments that ~95% of US Senators would make whenever asked about the issue.

I went point by point in my earlier post on examples where Booker has been more hawkish than Warren on Israel, and what is the response to that?  "Warren is secretly even more hawkish on the issue than Booker is, trust me?"  Tongue

Warren's vote for the Iran Deal was expected.
Booker's vote for the Iran Deal was a massive betrayal to Pro-Israel voters and Pro-Israel Jews.

Many of us in the Pro-Israel community, GOP and Dem, supported him his entire political career and he wouldn't even give his constituents a real chance to talk to him about the negative effects of the Deal after he supported it.

He had deep personal and emotional ties to Jewish communities. He was the President of a Jewish organization in college and had cultivated those relationships for many years.

Warren met with her constituents, before and after supporting the deal, and cares about what they think, even if she voted against how they wanted her too. It's easier to respect someone if they do something out of principle than if they did it out of political opportunism.

Also, I have friends who know Warren personally and they believe she's one of the biggest supporters of Israel on the left. These people have been very involved in the Jewish community and I have no reason to doubt them.

Maybe I, and many other Pro-Israel activists, are being irrational but it's harder to forgive a longtime ally for a massive ideological betrayal than someone who is relatively new to the scene.

That being said, I wouldn't support either over a republican.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 07:19:41 PM »

http://forward.com/news/343539/elizabeth-warren-is-the-surprising-israel-hawk-on-hillary-clintons-vice-pre/

Elizabeth Warren is very much a hawk on Israel.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies