WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:01:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 61
Author Topic: WV-SEN 2018: Haunted Manchin  (Read 140575 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 11:15:27 AM »

I'm not sure why people think Heitkamp is heavily favored but Manchin has no chance. I think he's much more entrenched and has more crossover appeal than Heitkamp, though Jenkins obviously won't be a pushover for him.

I never said Manchin had no chance, but I believe his crossover appeal is seriously exaggerated. Whether people like it or not, he will be linked to the national Democratic Party and Chuck Schumer, and in a state like WV that won't help him. He has also cast some very questionable votes recently and Republican groups have a lot to attack him on. Tilt R for now, but of course Manchin could win. My point is that name recognition and crossover appeal didn't save Evan Bayh either.

See, everything you said is true of Heitkamp as well, but she isn't as entrenched as him. I don't get the Bayh comparison, either, since Bayh backed out of his Senate race in 2010, and then just jumped in at the last minute in 2016. Manchin is definitely vulnerable, and I'd rate this race a Toss-Up, but I think that he has the most crossover appeal of the red state Democrats, even if that doesn't end up being enough for him to win.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 11:45:25 AM »

I'm not sure why people think Heitkamp is heavily favored but Manchin has no chance. I think he's much more entrenched and has more crossover appeal than Heitkamp, though Jenkins obviously won't be a pushover for him.

I never said Manchin had no chance, but I believe his crossover appeal is seriously exaggerated. Whether people like it or not, he will be linked to the national Democratic Party and Chuck Schumer, and in a state like WV that won't help him. He has also cast some very questionable votes recently and Republican groups have a lot to attack him on. Tilt R for now, but of course Manchin could win. My point is that name recognition and crossover appeal didn't save Evan Bayh either.

See, everything you said is true of Heitkamp as well, but she isn't as entrenched as him. I don't get the Bayh comparison, either, since Bayh backed out of his Senate race in 2010, and then just jumped in at the last minute in 2016. Manchin is definitely vulnerable, and I'd rate this race a Toss-Up, but I think that he has the most crossover appeal of the red state Democrats, even if that doesn't end up being enough for him to win.

Bayh was supposedly unbeatable due to his moderate voting record and his previous elections which he won in a landslide. I mean, he was basically the de-facto incumbent in this race. You could be right about Heitkamp not being as entrenched as Manchin, but first we need to see a few polls before we know for sure whether that is the case or not - I guarantee you she's more popular than Manchin and will do better than McCaskill, Manchin and Donnelly election day. Tongue I'll eat crow if I'm wrong.

I didn't say that Manchin is unbeatable, just that he has the most potential for cross-over appeal, which is the only thing that gives him a fighting chance in WV. Also, keep in mind that most people thought Justice would lose last year because Democrats can't win statewide races in WV anymore. Well, you certainly don't shy away from bold predictions. Tongue You could end up being right, especially if Heitkamp gets a sub-par opponent, but if her opponent is competent, I definitely think that Manchin is more likely to win.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 01:37:51 PM »

Rep. David McKinley says he'll announce whether he's running in a week or two, but it doesn't sound like he's going to run.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.theet.com/statejournal/mckinley-says-it-s-too-early-to-announce-campaign-plans/article_aecc90e7-dd09-56f5-9bdd-8f6849c15064.html

On the other hand, AG Patrick Morrisey still looks pretty likely to run.

http://wvmetronews.com/2017/05/10/early-start-to-2018-senate-race-in-wv/
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 05:10:56 PM »

McKinley NOT running, will seek reelection instead
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 05:21:23 PM »

Anybody hype to see Richard Ojeda fight for this seat? He's a really strong recruit so I think he could win depending on his opponent.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 05:46:23 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2017, 05:48:09 PM by Rust Belt or Die »

Anybody hype to see Richard Ojeda fight for this seat? He's a really strong recruit so I think he could win depending on his opponent.
I know I am. Though, it sort of looks like he used the State Senate as a stepping stone.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »

I know I am. Though, it sort of looks like he used the State Senate as a stepping stone.

Yeah, Ojeda seems like a great candidate!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »

It will be hard to knock off Manchin in a Republican-trifecta midterm. West Virginia is a dependent state and Manchin is more in favor bringing money into the state than any Republican. Plus, it's a Medicaid expansion state and there are plenty of people who cannot afford to lose their health care.
People are tired of Manchin, but I largely agree with this. Manchin does have an image problem - a literal one. After the severe floods (my Uncle's 85 year old mother was stranded with her grandson and infant great-granddaughter for nearly an entire day on the side of a mountain) there last year, Manchin came, made sure his staffers got plenty of pictures, and then went and golfed at the Greenbrier.

Coming from a West Virginia family, I've heard this sentiment a lot. Yet Manchin does bring in a lot of badly needed bacon, and I have no idea if either opponent can take him down. I'll defer to POTUS on that one. He's our resident Mountaineer.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 09:04:03 PM »

Meh. He already had an incredible run in the primary in 2014. If a stepping stone is what he needed then that seems ok to me.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2017, 07:57:19 AM »

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 04:25:26 PM »

West Virginia AG stirs speculation of Senate run with 'major' Monday announcement

Pls no.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2017, 04:29:49 PM »

Yes, yes! I doubt Morrisey wins the primary vs Jenkins, but if he did, that would be great news for Team Manchin!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »

Yes, yes! I doubt Morrisey wins the primary vs Jenkins, but if he did, that would be great news for Team Manchin!

Totally agreed. Jenkins' district is still heavily Democrat in registration, and I guess Morrisey has more name recognition in the other two districts, especially the Eastern Panhandle. So yeah, Jenkins could be in trouble in the primary.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »

Totally agreed. Jenkins' district is still heavily Democrat in registration, and I guess Morrisey has more name recognition in the other two districts, especially the Eastern Panhandle. So yeah, Jenkins could be in trouble in the primary.
Is it a close primary?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »

Jenkins still has my enthusiastic support. Morrissey is an HP.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »

This. For sure. I really like Jenkins and he is way stronger. Morrisey winning hands over the AG seat to the Democrats and can help rebuild their bench in WV. He's also a carpetbagger from New Jersey who even ran for NJ-07 in the past, while Jenkins is a native West Virginian. And Jenkins' "the Democratic Party left me" message should play really well in West Virginia.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 08:24:28 PM »

This. For sure. I really like Jenkins and he is way stronger. Morrisey winning hands over the AG seat to the Democrats and can help rebuild their bench in WV. He's also a carpetbagger from New Jersey who even ran for NJ-07 in the past, while Jenkins is a native West Virginian. And Jenkins' "the Democratic Party left me" message should play really well in West Virginia.

Are you referring to winning the primary or GE?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »

Good points. There is no doubt that Jenkins is a formidable candidate. That's why I would be ecstatic if Morrisey won the primary and faced Manchin.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »

Winning the general, unless he resigns after (hypothetically) winning the primary (which would be stupid).

Good points. There is no doubt that Jenkins is a formidable candidate. That's why I would be ecstatic if Morrisey won the primary and faced Manchin.
The only possibility worse than Morrisey is Mooney. His carpetbagging was way worse (at least Morrisey waited a decade, established himself in West Virginia, and he never served as State Party Chair or RNC Delegate in NJ, to my knowledge). And look at these hypothetical polls. Jenkins did the best, Mooney even loses by 10 to Carte Goodwin.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2017, 11:52:36 PM »

Winning the general, unless he resigns after (hypothetically) winning the primary (which would be stupid).

The only possibility worse than Morrisey is Mooney. His carpetbagging was way worse (at least Morrisey waited a decade, established himself in West Virginia, and he never served as State Party Chair or RNC Delegate in NJ, to my knowledge). And look at these hypothetical polls. Jenkins did the best, Mooney even loses by 10 to Carte Goodwin.

Yeah, they need to deport that conniving beaver either to the moon or back to Mexico.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 12:54:26 PM »

Morrisey is in. Sad!
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 12:56:30 PM »

Yeah, they need to deport that conniving beaver either to the moon or back to Mexico.
Who, Mooney? You mean back to Maryland, right?

Sad, but expected. I hope Jenkins destroys him in the primary.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »

YEEEEEEE!
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 03:57:34 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2017, 10:31:28 PM by Brittain33 »

WV AG Patrick Morrisey has just decided to run. How would he match up against Manchin if Jenkins loses the Primary?
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2017, 04:00:53 PM »

If Morrisey wins the primary, congratulations to Manchin for winning another term.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies