Justice Democrats to primary Joe Manchin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:20:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Justice Democrats to primary Joe Manchin
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Justice Democrats to primary Joe Manchin  (Read 12802 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2017, 04:16:43 PM »

https://trofire.com/2017/05/08/justice-democrats-targeting-barely-dem-manchin-progressive-primary-opponent/

[quote]
On Monday afternoon, progressive grassroots organizations Brand New Congress and Justice Democrats announced their most significant candidate they have supported and bolstered so far: Paula Swearengin.

The significance of Swearengin’s candidacy is not based on the candidate herself, but rather the Senator she hopes to take down: West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin.

Ms. Swearengin is set to oppose Senator Manchin, a notoriously red Democrat who is mired in Big Oil and lobbyist cash. Manchin is one of the few Democrats who early on voted to confirm each and every one of Donald Trump’s nominees.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »

1. This is dumb
2. Manchin did not vote to confirm every nominee. He voted against DeVos, Price, Mulvaney, and Ross.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 04:21:02 PM »

Why do these people think there's some untapped reservoir of anti-coal "progressives" in this state? Whatever, can't wait for the ensuing drubbing they will take and thus will end up disbanding.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 04:22:41 PM »

I don't know how I feel about this.  Manchin is my favorite Democrat, so it would be a shame if he were primaried, but I would be happy because a Republican would be guaranteed.

I wonder if he would run as an independent.  He could pull it off, and I would be fine if he won.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »

I'd much rather prefer to see them work from the ground up, to see just how receptive their brand of Democrat is in West Virginia, before they go for an office this important.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »

Why don't these guys try to go after the IDC people in NY instead, and do something that could actually have some benefit.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »

Is the guy in the yellow the quintessential "Justice Democrat"?  I'd have to say so...

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »

Why don't these guys try to go after the IDC people in NY instead, and do something that could actually have some benefit.
Right? The Ignorant Deplorable Caucus needs to be kicked out.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 04:35:14 PM »

Bad! Go primary a Senator from a low-risk seat if they want to really make a mark. Manchin is still a Democratic vote from a hard-to-win state nowadays. Go primary Feinstein if they really want to make a mark. Didn't the Berniecrats take over the California Democratic Party earlier this year, after all? That would be a good race to watch. For a state as large as California, the Bernie Democrats should try to gain as much influence in a big state like that to gain more power nationwide.

After all, Mr. Sanders is from one of the smallest states in the Union, and Warren, who is considered to be a fellow traveler, is from a medium-sized state.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »

Irrespective of whether this is morally good or not, it certainly makes Manchin more likely to be re-elected.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »

I support JD, but I agree this is ridiculous. We can't win this seat with someone else. Feinstein, Casey and especially Cantwell are all better options.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 04:56:55 PM »

I support JD, but I agree this is ridiculous. We can't win this seat with someone else. Feinstein, Casey and especially Cantwell are all better options.

Yeah, but Manchin will now appear so reasonable and moderate to WV voters! #retakethesenate.

On the general topic, I definitely agree that the Berniecrat/Populist Progressive movement would do much better to purge the moderate urbanites before going after the last of the blue-dogs.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »

Right? The Ignorant Deplorable Caucus needs to be kicked out.
You guys don't understand that IDC members represent working class conservative-leaning areas. Those areas don't like left wing policies.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 05:24:51 PM »

I'd much rather prefer to see them work from the ground up, to see just how receptive their brand of Democrat is in West Virginia, before they go for an office this important.

Oh yes, progressives should stick to dog catcher or something, am I right?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »

Oh yes, progressives should stick to dog catcher or something, am I right?

It makes more sense to take over state legislatures, city governments, and county administrative boards first. You get more power, frankly speaking, and define the state party's bench for higher office.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2017, 08:44:37 PM by Virginia »

Joe Manchin will barnstorm the primaries. Hopefully he will show what a real WV democrat is. JOE MANCHIN OR BUST!
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 05:48:27 PM »

Joe Manchin will barnstorm the primaries. Hopefully he will backhand this stupid SJW, and show what a real WV democrat is. JOE MANCHIN OR BUST!

What a real WV Democrat is.

Don't pretend that Manchin is anything but the best of the available options.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »

Why can't they go after DiFi, who's freaking 83?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 06:21:28 PM »

Why can't they go after DiFi, who's freaking 83?

Cantwell even more so. I don't think WA progressives would take kindly on her vote against importing drugs.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 06:51:57 PM »

good. manchin is a cancer.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »

Joe Manchin will barnstorm the primaries. Hopefully he will backhand this stupid SJW, and show what a real WV democrat is. JOE MANCHIN OR BUST!

Working class whites for the most part have no respect for unions or workers rights, not since Reagan brought "rugged individualism" to the forefront of American politics, and cast everyone expecting anything from their government as a welfare leech.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »

I've deleted a post that got too personal. Please stay on-topic. --Mod
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 07:02:32 PM »

You realize that he is the only option (along with only a couple other blue dogs) if you want a Democrat to keep that seat right? If you want a republican to take it, then that's a different story. If that's the case, keep up your rhetoric. But if you want a democrat to hold it, get what you get and don't throw a fit. Everybody knows this except a small contingent of privileged and ignorant SJW's in the state such as Charlotte Pritt.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 07:06:07 PM »

You realize that he is the only option (along with only a couple other blue dogs) if you want a Democrat to keep that seat right? If you want a republican to take it, then that's a different story. If that's the case, keep up your rhetoric. But if you want a democrat to hold it, get what you get and don't throw a fit. Everybody knows this except a small contingent of privileged and ignorant SJW's in the state such as Charlotte Pritt.

Pritt was a mainstream Democrat running against two Republicans.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »

Working class whites for the most part have no respect for unions or workers rights, not since Reagan brought "rugged individualism" to the forefront of American politics, and cast everyone expecting anything from their government as a welfare leech.

Sorry, but that statement is just statistically untrue. Not only has general opinion of unions not deteriorated, but it has actually been improving in recent years. The number of and extent of unions, especially in the private sector, have certainly gone down - but this is a separate phenomenon. If you're referring to the federal government's general role in union protections, then yes, there does seem to be a trend in the last fifty years in which, most significantly, Southern blue-collar workers have rejected this idea. However, interest in union membership is still there.

See http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/30/most-americans-see-labor-unions-corporations-favorably/ or http://www.gallup.com/poll/184622/americans-support-labor-unions-continues-recover.aspx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies