Jimmy Carter voted for Bernie Sanders in the primaries (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:39:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jimmy Carter voted for Bernie Sanders in the primaries (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jimmy Carter voted for Bernie Sanders in the primaries  (Read 3319 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: May 10, 2017, 06:43:37 PM »

He's a good man, but my democratic vote would have gone to Gerald Ford had I been alive in 76' Ford really should have won that race.

Nixon screwed him. And I probably would've voted for Reagan in the 80's knowing what I know now about macroeconomics.

If it was Trump vs Reagan, I would take Trump a 100 out of 100 times ! Reagan is probably more extreme than Ted freaking Cruz !

Reagan was no where near extreme he probably would be a Kasich Republican today
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:53:11 PM »

He's a good man, but my democratic vote would have gone to Gerald Ford had I been alive in 76' Ford really should have won that race.

Nixon screwed him. And I probably would've voted for Reagan in the 80's knowing what I know now about macroeconomics.

If it was Trump vs Reagan, I would take Trump a 100 out of 100 times ! Reagan is probably more extreme than Ted freaking Cruz !

Reagan was no where near extreme he probably would be a Kasich Republican today
He was quite radical for the time though. Even Bush Sr. called his policies "voo-doo economics".

Also unlike Cruz and trump he had actual governing experience.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:50:46 PM »

Reagan is probably more extreme than Cruz forget Kasich. I find it hard to put him in a box, he is definitely a Freedom Caucus type person. But more importantly, he did more damage to the economic system, working class & middle class than any President in history which Trump n Cruz are totally incapable of doing.

Trump may say stupid or even mildly racist statements but he is way to the left of Reagan in economics & social issues. Atleast the man has some heart deep inside, I can't say that about a monster like Reagan. Go read his 1980 & 1984 party platform, you get an idea about the man. I have always disliked Reagan !

Did u forget Reagan unlike the Freedom Caucus was always ready to compromise . Reagan never would propose privatizing social security , or doing a flat tax.

On results , Reagan presidency had produced some of the best results of any president in the past 50 years easily.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 01:35:17 AM »

Reagan is probably more extreme than Cruz forget Kasich. I find it hard to put him in a box, he is definitely a Freedom Caucus type person. But more importantly, he did more damage to the economic system, working class & middle class than any President in history which Trump n Cruz are totally incapable of doing.

Trump may say stupid or even mildly racist statements but he is way to the left of Reagan in economics & social issues. Atleast the man has some heart deep inside, I can't say that about a monster like Reagan. Go read his 1980 & 1984 party platform, you get an idea about the man. I have always disliked Reagan !

Did u forget Reagan unlike the Freedom Caucus was always ready to compromise . Reagan never would propose privatizing social security , or doing a flat tax.

On results , Reagan presidency had produced some of the best results of any president in the past 50 years easily.

Sure, just spend a little bit of time in the Mill Towns of Coos Bay/ North Bend, Toledo, Philomath, St Helens, etc Oregon about how Ronald Reagan produced "great results"....

Just six months ago I was up in a small Mill Town area in Tillamook County Oregon, playing some video poker in a small bar, and a proud former  International Woodworkers of America member literally spit on the floor when we were talking about Ronald Reagan.... s**t we weren't even talking about the '16 Presidential Election, and I wouldn't be surprised if he voted for Trump.

Maybe you should actually take some time travelling around your own state, before you start talking about the "great results" that Reagan achieved....

Sorry, just because your parents got major tax breaks under Reagan in no way shape or form makes him a President that "delivered results"....

Unemployment dropped from 10.8% to 5.4% , Inflation Dropped from 13% to 4%, Median Income went up from $18000-$27000(http://www.davemanuel.com/median-household-income.php). I call that a sucess.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 01:40:18 AM »

Reagan slashed the estate tax, corporate tax & income tax massively. Arguing for a flat tax today is less radical than cutting taxes from 70% to 30% or less! Reagan never had explosive growth like FDR, his growth rate was above average at best, less than Clinton & possibly less than Carter. But what he did is unprecedented. He totally changed the income distribution & destroyed the middle class & working class & made wealth concentrated in the hands of a few - He initiated, shaped & created the 40 year decline of the middle class. Ofcourse he was a an uber social conservative & challenged Roe vs Wade etc like no other Republican President did !

His tax reform was great, the tax rate a the time was basically confiscatory and so is any income tax above 50% except in maybe a situation like WW2. Have you hear of the Laffer Curve too when you raise taxes beyond a certian limit you take in less revenue and 70% was certainly doing that.

Tax Revenue Per GDP in 1980 was 18.5% and in 1989 was 17.9% the problem was that spending skyrocketed.

Oh and here at his tax plan only favored the rich BS: http://www.nytimes.com/1992/05/31/business/who-paid-the-most-taxes-in-the-80-s-the-superrich.html
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 02:00:55 AM »

Some key words from Reagan's 1980 Platform

The aggregate burden of taxation is so great that the average American spends a substantial part of every year working for government. These same tax policies subsidize debt, unemployment, and consumption. The present structure of the personal income tax system is designed to broaden the gap between effort and reward.The Democratic Congress has produced a jumble of degrading, dehumanizing, wasteful, overlapping, and inefficient programs that invite waste and fraud. The Democrats have deliberately perpetuated a status of federally subsidized poverty and manipulated dependency. Our nation's tax policies provide a penalty for getting a job. If necessary, the Republican Party will seek to adopt a Constitutional amendment to limit federal spending.  

The Democrats have presided over the most monstrous expansion and abuse of the food stamp They have sacrificed the needy to the greedy, and sent the welfare bills to the taxpayers. We oppose federalizing the welfare system. We support a block grant program.  Decisions about who gets welfare, and how much, can be better made on the local level. . Government's power to take and tax, to regulate and require, has already reached extravagant proportions. Republicans support a comprehensive program of regulatory reform, improved incentives, and revision of cumbersome and overly stringent Clean Air Act regulations.

We deplore Mr. Carter's personal attempts to rewrite history on defense budgets. His tough speeches before military audiences cannot hide his continuing opposition to Congressional defense increases. We associate ourselves with the characterization by Democratic Congressional leaders of the President's behavior on defense as "hypocritical." We would go further; it is disgraceful.

We affirm our support of a constitutional amendment to restore protection of the right to life for unborn children. We condemn the forced busing of school children to achieve arbitrary racial quotas.We advocate the reform of Medicare to encourage home-based care whenever feasible.

Everything except the last bold sentence is not wrong

This is Ted Cruz level ! And these policies are in the garbage can with most economists. Even IMF has trashed it in it's recent documents calling it a total joke & failure. It has got to a point where GDP growth (which was nothing spectacular) is totally meaningless as the bottom half will get nothing out of it.

Post-Reagan policies literally are creating a class warfare scenario in the future when radical more extreme version than Trump will come in the right & also in the left ! Donald Trump is way better than Reagan in economic & social issues, atleast the man has a heart some where !

except then people's money was getting confiscated and the government got way to big.

On Social Issues Dubya was to the right of Reagan
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies