BREAKING: Trump Fires Comey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:10:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Trump Fires Comey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 32
Author Topic: BREAKING: Trump Fires Comey  (Read 40826 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: May 09, 2017, 08:57:58 PM »

Senate Intelligence Committee Chair Richard Burr: I am troubled by the timing and reasoning of Director Comey’s termination.

Does anyone find this normal for the Senate Intelligence Committee chair to say? Especially one of the same party as his president?
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #301 on: May 09, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »

Senate Intelligence Committee Chair Richard Burr: I am troubled by the timing and reasoning of Director Comey’s termination.

Does anyone find this normal for the Senate Intelligence Committee chair to say? Especially one of the same party as his president?

Perhaps he knows what is in the works(indictments) and while it maybe not be directly connected to Trump, the timing of the firing makes it seem like Trump is panicking.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #302 on: May 09, 2017, 09:02:13 PM »

Just a few facts for the blue avatars:

The Dems aren't "out of touch" and on a "witch hunt": public opinion shows that a huge majority of Americans want a special prosecutor--just go find the CNN/ORC polls or PPP polls from March.

Nobody is a hypocrite because nobody is defending Comey or his prior actions, but rather saying that this looks like a move to cover up the Russia investigation, which Sarah Huckabee Sanders' comments just a little bit ago basically confirm. So, you're making a false equivalence here. We don't want Comey, we want an investigation unimpeded by the President.

There is absolutely evidence that could indict Trump himself possible, and almost certainly his campaign. It's a fact that Manafort, Page, Flynn, and other were in contact with Putin's people. It's a fact that the leaks targeted against HRC were launched by hackers with ties to the Kremlin. I'm not saying it's a smoking gun, but it certainly is something that merits a serious investigation. Now, I know that some of you dgaf because you think women are made of ribs and climate change is a Chinese hoax. But most Americans haven't descended down that hole yet. See my first point.

Which brings me to that final point about that hole: I know that you know your logic is shoddy, but for the past few decades you've built an alternative media apparatus to reify your unfounded beliefs, brainwash others, and keep an unsustainable status quo in place that is based on buzzwords like freedom and justice, but really has no values--as your flippant disregard for the sanctity of this investigation demonstrates. That's the textbook definition of fascist ideology--not an insult, just a fact--so just know that nobody arguing in favor of continuing the investigation is outside of the mainstream; you are.
*slow clap*
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #303 on: May 09, 2017, 09:03:33 PM »

Senator Jeff Flake, R-Arizona: https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/862124755339685888?s=09
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #304 on: May 09, 2017, 09:03:39 PM »

Flake got a conscience.

I've spent the last several hours trying to find an acceptable rationale for the timing of Comey's firing. I just can't do it.
https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/862124755339685888
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #305 on: May 09, 2017, 09:05:04 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Take with a grain of salt obviously but I wonder if Trump is just being hasty since the investigation could be getting closer to himself.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #306 on: May 09, 2017, 09:05:08 PM »

Trump has the unpopularity/malaise of Jimmy Carter and the paranoia/corruption/controversy of Nixon
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #307 on: May 09, 2017, 09:05:53 PM »

US Attorneys serve at the will of the President (or, I think, technically, the Attorney General), and can be fired for any reason or none at all.  46 other political appointees were fired the same day.

How many of the 46 other political appointees were personally asked by Trump to stay on in the new administration, cinyc?

How many of the 46 were grandstanding, camera-mugging glory hogs, like Bharara?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #308 on: May 09, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »

Bharara was actually retained by the Trump Administration so his firing was a bit peculiar. Additionally the FBI director has to sign off on recommendations to prosecute or not. Trump's firing him and Sarah Huckabee saying its time to drop the Russian investigation makes things look highly suspicious and draws questions if Trump and Senate Republicans will confirm an independent director who will continue the investigation.

There's a lot of ways a FBI director can quietly kill or stymie an investigation. As I've said can we really trust Trump to appoint and Senate Republicans to confirm a director who may sign off on a recommendation that may warrant prosecution of a number of Trump associates?

If you believe that why do you believe so?

Bharara was no more "retained" by the Trump administration than the other 46 Obama prosecutors fired on the same day.  No political appointee is safe in his or her job - nor should they be.  They serve at the pleasure of the President, not the other way around.

Contrary to your (and Comey's) belief, FBI directors don't make the ultimate decision on whether to prosecute.  That's ultimately up to Justice Department prosecutors, not the FBI.  Comey's belief that he should be acting as a prosecutor is one of the reasons he has been fired.  The job got to his head, and he was making bad decisions.  His misstatements to Congress last week were the last straw.

Can we really trust any President to appoint FBI director who may sign off on a recommendation that may warrant prosecution of a number of his associates?  Why is Trump any different than Obama or Clinton or Bush?   So why bother appointing FBI directors?  Screaming Russia, Russia, Russia, as you, the liberal media and the Democrats are doing, without a scintilla of evidence that Trump did anything criminal isn't going to change this calculus.  The Russia investigation is part of the FBI's domestic surveillance role, not criminal.

Yeah, this seems to changes very little. The FBI will continue investigating what they're investigating regardless of what is going on up top.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #309 on: May 09, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »

The Dems aren't "out of touch" and on a "witch hunt": public opinion shows that a huge majority of Americans want a special prosecutor--just go find the CNN/ORC polls or PPP polls from March.

Nobody is a hypocrite because nobody is defending Comey or his prior actions, but rather saying that this looks like a move to cover up the Russia investigation, which Sarah Huckabee Sanders' comments just a little bit ago basically confirm. So, you're making a false equivalence here. We don't want Comey, we want an investigation unimpeded by the President.

There is absolutely evidence that could indict Trump himself possible, and almost certainly his campaign. It's a fact that Manafort, Page, Flynn, and other were in contact with Putin's people. It's a fact that the leaks targeted against HRC were launched by hackers with ties to the Kremlin. I'm not saying it's a smoking gun, but it certainly is something that merits a serious investigation. Now, I know that some of you dgaf because you think women are made of ribs and climate change is a Chinese hoax. But most Americans haven't descended down that hole yet. See my first point.

Which brings me to that final point about that hole: I know that you know your logic is shoddy, but for the past few decades you've built an alternative media apparatus to reify your unfounded beliefs, brainwash others, and keep an unsustainable status quo in place that is based on buzzwords like freedom and justice, but really has no values--as your flippant disregard for the sanctity of this investigation demonstrates. That's the textbook definition of fascist ideology--not an insult, just a fact--so just know that nobody arguing in favor of continuing the investigation is outside of the mainstream; you are.
*slow clap*
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2017, 09:08:41 PM »

Trump Hires Law Firm to Fight Suggestions of Russia Business Ties
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-hires-law-firm-rebut-suggestion-russia-business-ties-n757106

Hannity just called firing of Comey "draining of the deep state swamp."
https://twitter.com/tparti/status/862125826854330371

FBI agents in tears as news of Comey's firing spread
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/09/omey-firing-fbi-tears-238190
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2017, 09:10:53 PM »

An now Ossoff wants to make it an issue https://mobile.twitter.com/ossoff/status/862123186405740544
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #312 on: May 09, 2017, 09:11:20 PM »

Honestly, the GOP needs to dissolve after Trump and replace itself with a new, renamed party.

What an embarrasment
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #313 on: May 09, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »

Honestly, the GOP needs to dissolve after Trump and replace itself with a new, renamed party.

What an embarrasment

This sort of nonsense should kill a political party......but it won't.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2017, 09:12:19 PM »

US Attorneys serve at the will of the President (or, I think, technically, the Attorney General), and can be fired for any reason or none at all.  46 other political appointees were fired the same day.

How many of the 46 other political appointees were personally asked by Trump to stay on in the new administration, cinyc?

Don't let those goalposts hurt your back too much. Smiley
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #315 on: May 09, 2017, 09:12:35 PM »

*slow clap*

Here is the issue: how many times must you guys be told that at this time, *there is no evidence of collusion between the campaign and russia*. Feinstein, schiff, et al have said it repeatedly over the last few months, but based on what you hear from people on here, you'd think it was a sure thing.

Is it ethical to milk an investigation dry for political points before anything has even been found, let alone confirmed?

That's my issue with you guys,you somehow forget that the investigation has found nothing substantial between trump and russia.

In fact, you guys would prefer if the investigation *never ended* than if the investigation found nothing and was concluded. You guys WANT another watergate scandal, you WANT a dark cloud, because it could help you politically.

It's pathetic, really.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #316 on: May 09, 2017, 09:13:20 PM »

Flake got a conscience.

I've spent the last several hours trying to find an acceptable rationale for the timing of Comey's firing. I just can't do it.
Flake's up for reelection in a state trending D. He's smart, not ethical.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #317 on: May 09, 2017, 09:15:41 PM »

Flake got a conscience.

Flake's up for reelection in a state trending D. He's smart, not ethical.

nah, flake is a full-hearted trump critic from day one, like sasse.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #318 on: May 09, 2017, 09:19:38 PM »

Trump has the unpopularity/malaise of Jimmy Carter and the paranoia/corruption/controversy of Nixon

He shares Carter's skill at navigating politics in the capital, too.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #319 on: May 09, 2017, 09:21:54 PM »

Trump may meet with Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov, Putin's top diplomat, tomorrow at the White House
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/862101156742541313

US presidents don't normally meet with foreign ministers. Secretaries of State normally do that. So much that is strange.
https://twitter.com/NKingofDC/status/862124919764791298
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #320 on: May 09, 2017, 09:23:27 PM »

There hasn't been a resolution to the investigations because in Congress they're complaining about lack of resources and in the FBI it was apparently launched in October. All investigations started near the end of the election or around the election itself or after…

Investigation of presidential malfeasance takes years. Didn't Whitewater take years?
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #321 on: May 09, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »

Honest question, why is the President so quite, even on twitter?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #322 on: May 09, 2017, 09:26:42 PM »

Honest question, why is the President so quite, even on twitter?

Some men just like to watch the world burn.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #323 on: May 09, 2017, 09:27:12 PM »

Don't let those goalposts hurt your back too much. Smiley

What goalposts?  Obviously, all 46 either were asked or did stay on temporarily after January 20.  That the rest of them didn't run to the press with claims that they were asked to stay on doesn't mean they weren't asked.

Again, I think that if Bharara decided to take the call the President reportedly made before he the decision to ask the 46 to resign, he might still have his job today.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #324 on: May 09, 2017, 09:27:23 PM »

How will this impact Trump's approvals?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies