BREAKING: Trump Fires Comey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:45:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Trump Fires Comey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32
Author Topic: BREAKING: Trump Fires Comey  (Read 40608 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: May 11, 2017, 02:30:32 PM »

Trump said (in NBC interview) that he asked Comey whether he was under investigation.

I'm now reading in twitter that it might be illegal to ask the man who investigates you about it. Anyone knows?

FBI Directors don't inform people if they're under investigation or not. Comey probably said something along the lines of, "Well, I can't say that, but you're not the focus".

You also have to factor in the fact that Trump is a pathological liar about everything....even bane issues like his height or the square feet of his Penthouse

You forgot to add, "or the size of his hands," in your post.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #626 on: May 11, 2017, 02:34:06 PM »

Seems thorough.

I am a bit curious how many FBI directors/official(s) Trump will chew through if he stays on for the full term. The problem with being loyal to Trump under these circumstances is that he abuses the hell out of it, and in the process of being "loyal," one would have to ruin their own personal credibility and possibly future career prospects in order to satisfy Trump's sensitive little needs. Given the situation at hand, with Trump under investigation, I just can't help but wonder if he can find (and get confirmed) a director who will stick their neck out for Trump as thoroughly as The Donald demands, and for as long as he is in office.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #627 on: May 11, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »

"We want this to come to its conclusion, we want it to come to its conclusion with integrity," said deputy press secretary Sarah Sanders, referring to the FBI's probe into Moscow's interference in last year's election. "And we think that we've actually, by removing Director Comey, taken steps to make that happen."
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/11/politics/comey-fbi-investigation-russia-sarah-huckabee-sanders/

some people are just not made for certain jobs.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #628 on: May 11, 2017, 02:57:57 PM »

"We want this to come to its conclusion, we want it to come to its conclusion with integrity," said deputy press secretary Sarah Sanders, referring to the FBI's probe into Moscow's interference in last year's election. "And we think that we've actually, by removing Director Comey, taken steps to make that happen."
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/11/politics/comey-fbi-investigation-russia-sarah-huckabee-sanders/

some people are just not made for certain jobs.

I think she channels the horrific post-Orwellian abomination that is the Trump mis-administration perfectly.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #629 on: May 11, 2017, 03:18:06 PM »

The Democrats would not impeach Trump and it would be suicidal to talk about it. Even talking about it would result in a civil war in the party that causes a number of us to switch to the GOP.

That would make you, and, well...

probably just you switching to the Republican Party over this.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #630 on: May 11, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »

Canadian columnist Andrew Coyne's insights (Coyne is a libertarian leaning semi contrarian with a masters degree in economics)

"But if Trump’s every move suggests he has something to hide, that does not mean firing Comey will have no impact on the investigation. Trump need not install a more compliant director to further slow its progress. He can, as David Frum has suggested, simply leave the office vacant for months on end, as he has hundreds of others. Neither should Comey’s firing be seen in isolation: this is the third senior legal officer Trump has dismissed, after acting attorney general Sally Yates and New York federal prosecutor Preet Bharara. All three were responsible for various aspects of the Trump-Russia investigation."

"Those fine minds who think the really essential point to make at this moment is that it is “perfectly legal” for Trump to fire the FBI director, or that the Democrats didn’t care much for Comey either, might wish to consider how they became so blind to context. Whatever Trump’s powers, whatever Comey’s mistakes, for the president to fire the FBI director in the very middle of an investigation into his administration — an investigation that, whatever his protestations, is very likely to touch upon the president himself — is self-evidently unacceptable."

"The official explanation for the firing — that the president had suddenly become displeased with Comey’s handling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails he had earlier publicly praised — is transparently, clownishly false. There has been ample reporting from inside the White House that the decision to fire Comey had been in the works for days, if not weeks; that it was motivated by the president’s irritation at the FBI’s continuing investigation into various Trump associates’ alleged collusion with the Russian government to throw the presidential election to Trump."

"The question is whether this prospect can safely be endured. And the answer, it is now clear, is no. If sense prevailed, the wheels would already be in motion to remove him from office. Alas, political calculations on both sides of the aisle may conspire to leave him there: the Republicans, in dread of the turmoil his removal would unleash among their base; the Democrats, because he may help deliver them the Congress, as early as 2018.

They should think again. The risk is too great, not just to the republic, but to the world"
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #631 on: May 11, 2017, 03:31:08 PM »

"The question is whether this prospect can safely be endured. And the answer, it is now clear, is no. If sense prevailed, the wheels would already be in motion to remove him from office. Alas, political calculations on both sides of the aisle may conspire to leave him there: the Republicans, in dread of the turmoil his removal would unleash among their base; the Democrats, because he may help deliver them the Congress, as early as 2018.

Usually I've thought that if Trump were impeached, it would wreck the GOP for the next few years due to the backlash among their base, but thinking about it more, if the evidence of wrongdoing is weak upon removal, it could help neutralize some of the backlash Democrats would hope to harness for themselves.

If the evidence is substantial enough that a large majority of the public is convinced Trump deserves impeachment, then removing him from office would be the best option with nothing but benefits for Democrats, politically-speaking.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #632 on: May 11, 2017, 03:35:03 PM »

Usually I've thought that if Trump were impeached, it would wreck the GOP for the next few years due to the backlash among their base, but thinking about it more, if the evidence of wrongdoing is weak upon removal, it could help neutralize some of the backlash Democrats would hope to harness for themselves.

If the evidence is substantial enough that a large majority of the public is convinced Trump deserves impeachment, then removing him from office would be the best option with nothing but benefits for Democrats, politically-speaking.

I think it would depend on how soon and how quickly the impeachment (and conviction) was done.  If Mike Pence had at least a year to be President before the midterms in November, I think he and the Congressional Republicans would have ample time to put Trump behind them and put the Republican coalition back together.

Obviously some of the 'only Trump' Republicans would give up on electoral politics again, but I think clearly the gains for the Republicans would enormously outweigh the losses.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #633 on: May 11, 2017, 03:59:54 PM »

https://twitter.com/SecretsBedard/status/862771946798428160
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #634 on: May 11, 2017, 04:10:12 PM »

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/862774350398849024
NBC/SurveyMonkey poll finds 54% think it was inappropriate to fire Comey, 38% find it "appropriate"
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #635 on: May 11, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »

NBC/SurveyMonkey poll finds 54% think it was inappropriate to fire Comey, 38% find it "appropriate"

I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #636 on: May 11, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »

After having reflected a bit I came to the conclusion that this is exactly what voters (at least in the swing states) voted for. The fat dude from Apprentice who in a cool (in some sense) way fires people for stupid reasons LIVE.

Joke aside, 38% is an unexpectedly large number.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #637 on: May 11, 2017, 04:22:18 PM »

For some reason, these numbers are almost identical to Trump's current Gallup approvals.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #638 on: May 11, 2017, 04:59:44 PM »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/862758098892619780
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #639 on: May 11, 2017, 05:03:20 PM »

Just watched Sarah Huckabee Sanders give rambling non-answers to questions of "Ummm, wasnt Trump praising Comey's actions in late October?" The best they've been able to come up with is "Well, he was a candidate then and now he's president." Roll Eyes

Can any Trump drones here do better?

Soooo... no takers?

I've seen a lot of posters on here doing the sarcastic "Gee, I thought democrats wanted him fired" shtick, but I don't know that I've seen any blue avatars actually defend or explain Trump's (supposed) flip-flop on this. Nobody wants to try?

Easy. He lied. It's like 'defending or explaining' him calling 'Lyin Ted' a great guy or that he might consider 'Little Marco' to be his VP.

It just doesn't mean much.

And right now it seems like he's trolling. And those pictures with Lavrov and Kislyak!! If it is not trolling, what is?

So why did he fire Comey then, if he lied about his reasons for doing so? And it doesn't bother you that the president would lie about firing the FBI director?

There is just 2 possibilities:

1) Trump did collaborate with Russians and he tries to cover it up.
2) Trump did NOT collaborate with Russians, but he knows the power of media's nothing burgers (Benghazi, EMAILS!!!11) and don't want to end up like Hillary. So he tries to finish off the witch-hunt and the leakers. And, probably, he thinks that it was Comey's job to stop witch-hunt&Leaking.

I doubt he personally collaborated with Russia. He isn't competent enough for that.

It's the stealth that's hurting him. His actions make it look like he has something to hide....even if he doesn't. 
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #640 on: May 11, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2017, 05:15:57 PM by TD »

Let's take a step back and look at the history books of 2050. This is how this week will look.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is the literal objective historical record. This is what the Trump people here on this board are defending today. Winning is so much more important than explaining to the generation of 2050 why you supported this.

Aside from EnglishPete who is some sort of British UKIP person and JJC. who is -- well, to put it kindly, a bit overly dramatic about his hate of Democrats and “anti-illegal immigrants,” virtually all the Trump Republicans haven't made a defense of this. They know they'd be roundly mocked for it.

I'm pretty sure that deep down these supporters know that Trump reflects badly on them and they care more about winning against the Left in a series of ephemeral battles rather than actually supporting him. This was a lot of their reasons for supporting Trump: beat Hillary at all costs. That's their principles, essentially: a pleasure over beating the Left instead of advancing a series of goals.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #641 on: May 11, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »

I doubt he personally collaborated with Russia. He isn't competent enough for that.

It's the stealth that's hurting him. His actions make it look like he has something to hide....even if he doesn't. 

No, it is 'delaying' that hurts him badly. He needs a fast investigation regardless the results (so did Hillary). RussiaGate has actually fewer indication of wrongdoing than HerEmails&Benghazi. And those two were obvious nothing-burgers.

I mean, I've totally got (game theory behind) why Democrats want this investigation to take years and years. GOP did the same (to Hillary) and succeed (ruined her image). Emails&Benghazi were totally bs, so is Russia thing.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #642 on: May 11, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »

No, it is 'delaying' that hurts him badly. He needs a fast investigation regardless the results (so did Hillary). RussiaGate has actually fewer indication of wrongdoing than HerEmails&Benghazi. And those two were obvious nothing-burgers.

I mean, I've totally got (game theory behind) why Democrats want this investigation to take years and years. GOP did the same (to Hillary) and succeed (ruined her image). Emails&Benghazi were totally bs, so is Russia thing.

So tell us, why is he stonewalling and firing the FBI director and refusing an independent prosecutor? They would clear him and give him a huge victory over the Left if he allowed a full investigation with all the resources needed.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #643 on: May 11, 2017, 05:18:51 PM »

Only...it's not a nothing burger.   There are multiple multiple multiple links between Trump Administration and Russia.  

If the Republicans want a fast and easy investigation and Trump did nothing wrong they'd both be pushing for an independent investigation/investigator....they aren't.   They're just slumping along hoping everything just disappears eventually.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #644 on: May 11, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »

For some reason, these numbers are almost identical to Trump's current Gallup approvals.

We can see here Trump's absolute floor, at the moment. Unless something very big happens, about 36% is as low as his approval rating can go.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #645 on: May 11, 2017, 05:33:59 PM »

So you don't think anyone on Trump's campaign made an explicit or even implicit agreement to have all those emails/etc leaked, in order to hurt Clinton? You really think after everything that has happened, that that is unlikely? It would be a very simple conversation, and it's already known there are some strange links between various campaign aides/Manafort and the Russians. I don't get how someone could just cross that off the list of possibilities at this point. The only hitch is that such an agreement would be difficult to prove, unless there is digital evidence or some other things I can't think of. That's why we have investigations.

The way I see it is, Trump supporters are just going to continue giving him the benefit of the doubt, and anti-Trump people like myself won't, for numerous reasons, including the fact that his behavior is sketchy as hell and he has no credibility, neither now nor during nor even before the campaign. His entire personality is built around shady stuff like this. It's what he does. He's been a liar his entire life, and has moved from one shady business venture to the next.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #646 on: May 11, 2017, 05:38:35 PM »

So tell us, why is he stonewalling and firing the FBI director and refusing an independent prosecutor? They would clear him and give him a huge victory over the Left if he allowed a full investigation with all the resources needed.

1) How 'independent' is an independent prosecutor?
2) Is not/Was not FBI:s investigation supposed to be independent? Why did they start (and keeps) leaking and make it public?

'Anonymous official' just could wait until FBI fulfills their investigation and presents the results. Everyone would be happy, no?  Or did they think that FBI/Comey would cover up Trump (then it would be totally OK to leak)?
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #647 on: May 11, 2017, 05:45:08 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2017, 05:48:01 PM by I Won - Get Over It »

So you don't think anyone on Trump's campaign made an explicit or even implicit agreement to have all those emails/etc leaked, in order to hurt Clinton? You really think after everything that has happened, that that is unlikely? It would be a very simple conversation, and it's already known there are some strange links between various campaign aides/Manafort and the Russians. I don't get how someone could just cross that off the list of possibilities at this point. The only hitch is that such an agreement would be difficult to prove, unless there is digital evidence or some other things I can't think of. That's why we have investigations.
Comey:

The way I see it is, Trump supporters are just going to continue giving him the benefit of the doubt, and anti-Trump people like myself won't, for numerous reasons, including the fact that his behavior is sketchy as hell and he has no credibility, neither now nor during nor even before the campaign. His entire personality is built around shady stuff like this. It's what he does. He's been a liar his entire life, and has moved from one shady business venture to the next.

As I said, I don't understand why Comey went publicly and why there are so many leaks.
Didn't he know how media would spin it? Yeah, it seems to me that he sort of felt bad about Hillary and wanted to balance it...

So my main question is why not do a non-public investigation or at least not comment anything? I just don't get. Transparency? Well, it will result (have already resulted) in 'conspiracy theory' (same as with Clinton) when the only fact you know that Trump's campaign is under investigation. Or was it the intention?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #648 on: May 11, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »

Trump is scrapping his plans to visit the FBI after being told he will "not be well received" http://www.mediaite.com/online/trump-scraps-fbi-visit-after-learning-he-would-not-be-well-received/
EnglishPete

« Reply #649 on: May 11, 2017, 06:29:04 PM »

Let's take a step back and look at the history books of 2050. This is how this week will look.

This is the literal objective historical record.
No it isn't. There's no evidence that this was the reason for Comey's removal, just a lot of fevered speculation in the opposition media and from opposition politicians.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies