Would you feel discomfort if your child dated a person of another race?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:10:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you feel discomfort if your child dated a person of another race?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: If your child brought home a partner who was of a different race (or ethnicity), would you feel any discomfort?
None at all

Maybe a little

Somewhat

Probably a lot

I would be upset

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Would you feel discomfort if your child dated a person of another race?  (Read 1888 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »

I would like honest answers, so do not feel compelled to make yours public. I am simply curious what the results of this question will be.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 06:29:31 PM »

Yes.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 06:40:41 PM »

None at all (has no racial preference in his own dating life, incidentally)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »

I would be quite horrified if my baby ever dated a Gentile. I don't know if it could be outright forbidden however.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 06:45:50 PM »

None at all (has no racial preference in his own dating life, incidentally)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:00:35 PM »

Genuinely curious: why do you think you would feel discomfort in that situation?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »

This is probably the most blatantly question of "are you racist?" that I have ever heard. Although, my parents are different races, and I have two adopted cousins, one of whom is black and the other of whom is Native American, so that may effect my view of this.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »

No, I don't care. Republicans on the other hand...
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 07:40:40 PM »

Honestly, I might be a bit shocked at first, but I would get over it if the kid was cool. That's really all that matters.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 07:44:23 PM »

As long as the person they date is a good person I couldnt care less what their race, ethnicity, income level, etc is.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 07:52:28 PM »

Genuinely curious: why do you think you would feel discomfort in that situation?

Not a discomfort, the partner could be a lovely person, but a lineage of nepali culture, of blood of nepali ethnicity would be, to some extent be destroyed. Every generation, forthcoming would be less entrenched and more departed from nepali culture, where I was born, where my blood and heart lays. The nepali language, would not be spoken, and there would be no essence of my grand children being being purely "nepali", culture, blood, ancestry etc.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »

This is probably the most blatantly question of "are you racist?" that I have ever heard. Although, my parents are different races, and I have two adopted cousins, one of whom is black and the other of whom is Native American, so that may effect my view of this.

No.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »

Different race, no. They can date a Jew of any race or background. Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, Ethiopian, doesn't make a difference to me. But it would be very important to be that they'd be dating Jews.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »

Different race, no. They can date a Jew of any race or background. Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, Ethiopian, doesn't make a difference to me. But it would be very important to be that they'd be dating Jews.

Would it matter if it was a jew by lineage/ethnicity who is an atheist, or a jew who converted into the religion?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2017, 08:07:49 PM by DəvidB. »

Would it matter if it was a jew by lineage/ethnicity who is an atheist, or a jew who converted into the religion?
It doesn't matter to me if someone is a convert or a Jew by birth, a Jew is a Jew.

I would prefer my children to marry religious or traditional Jews and not atheist Jews, however, because this would be in line with the way I hope to raise my children. It would be very hard for my child to stay religious and to raise their kids the traditional way if their partner were a Jewish atheist. However, marrying an atheist Jew is certainly preferrable to marrying a non-Jew.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2017, 08:35:14 PM by Jacobin American »

Not a discomfort, the partner could be a lovely person, but a lineage of nepali culture, of blood of nepali ethnicity would be, to some extent be destroyed. Every generation, forthcoming would be less entrenched and more departed from nepali culture, where I was born, where my blood and heart lays. The nepali language, would not be spoken, and there would be no essence of my grand children being being purely "nepali", culture, blood, ancestry etc.

That raises a difficult question of: at what point does desire to preserve culture and traditions become a form of racism? I am not accusing you of being racist, but it is a gray area.

DavidB,

I am curious of your opinion on this as well.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 08:34:41 PM »

This is literally the worst forum to ask this question.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 08:38:53 PM »

That raises a difficult question of: at what point does desire to preserve culture and traditions become a form of racism? I am not accusing you of being racist, but it is a gray area.

DavidB,

Preserving culture isn't racism. Willfully destroying culture is.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2017, 08:58:01 PM by Jacobin American »

DavidB,

Preserving culture isn't racism. Willfully destroying culture is.

I was not saying it is racism. I was asking where the line is drawn between racism/bigotry and cultural preservation.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 08:56:09 PM »

Given Matrilineality, would you accept a daughter dating a Gentile?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 09:43:51 PM »

No, I don't care. Republicans on the other hand...

True, zero racist Democrats out there!  Hack city.

Anyway, I answered no.  However, I think it'd take some getting used to if my kid dated someone of a totally different cultural outlook, but race wouldn't matter at all.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »

No. If I had a child I'd prefer they dated a Mormon, of any race, however.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 10:12:18 PM »

none at all (half my kids ain't the same race as my anyway)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 10:20:35 PM »

Given Matrilineality, would you accept a daughter dating a Gentile?
Dating a Jew would always be preferrable over dating a non-Jew, but I could think of cases where it would not be extremely problematic for a daughter to date a non-Jewish man as it would be for a son to date a non-Jewish woman, yes. I don't think any of this is about "accepting", though: once grown up, children are autonomous people who make their own decisions and as a parent you will have to "accept" that, whether you like their decisions or not.

DavidB,

I don't really know, but I'm very reluctant in calling people's dating preferences racist because I think it is legitimate for people to select their partners on about every criterion they want to use for any or no reason.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 11:29:04 PM »

None, because I myself am of mixed race.  And even if I wasn't, I still wouldn't have any issue with it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies