Chris Murphy - If Trumpcare passes, we will go for Single payer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:39:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Chris Murphy - If Trumpcare passes, we will go for Single payer
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chris Murphy - If Trumpcare passes, we will go for Single payer  (Read 766 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »

If Democrats get control of the House and the Senate, and Republicans rip away health care from 24 million people, we are going to do whatever it takes to restore health care to the people who had it taken away. If they actually allow insurance companies to discriminate against sick people, then they’re going to lose majorities of the House and the Senate in 2018, and we’ll have the numbers potentially necessary to restore those benefits.”

“You can argue that had we done Medicare for all in 2009, it might have been much more popular and much harder to attack than the bill that we passed, which was an attempt to try to fix the underlying problems in the health care system while maintaining the  existing platform—this mix of public and private care,” Murphy told me. “Clearly extending Medicare to everyone is much more easy to explain and much easier to comprehend. It’s probably most easy for the public to stomach if they’re given the choice to sign up for a Medicare program or stay on their private plan; I think you would see, if they were given that choice, a pretty massive gravitation over to a Medicare-for-all type vehicle, because it would likely provide better benefits and at lower cost…Clearly that’s going to be on the table if they move forward with this repeal.”

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 09:39:32 PM »

Honest question: what if there is a democratic congress in 2019 that passes single payer, and trump signs the bill?

It would obviously lead to him losing reelection, since many cons would stay home, but in the long run, how would that impact his legacy?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:39:56 PM »

Murphy 2020.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »

This makes me like Murphy less. Support for Medicare for All shouldn't have any conditions. It shouldn't be used as a goddamn threat.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 09:52:34 PM »

Honest question: what if there is a democratic congress in 2019 that passes single payer, and trump signs the bill?

It would obviously lead to him losing reelection, since many cons would stay home, but in the long run, how would that impact his legacy?

It'd make it a complicated legacy, TBH
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 09:55:01 PM »

This makes me like Murphy less. Support for Medicare for All shouldn't have any conditions. It shouldn't be used as a goddamn threat.

^^^^^^^^^^
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 10:00:47 PM »

I imagine the left will take the same attitude towards Trump implementing single payer about as much as they appreciate Nixon for creating the EPA. (That attitude being "What do you want, a medal? You're still the worst")

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 10:12:07 PM »

Would he get 60 Senators? He probably has to change the rules etc so it is kind of impossible for him to change the rule with the support of most Democrats. If this were to happen it would require the support of a substantial support of Republicans & would fracture the GOP from between.

While he would lose conservatives, he would do even better with some Democrats in the rust belt states who will get affordable healthcare. He will be de facto be remembered as the President who got Universal healthcare done which is a big BIG deal !

But anyways that won't happen & it's time to come out of fantasy land !
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 10:14:03 PM »

True, we shouldn't have to hope for TrumpCare to pass.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 10:18:43 PM »

True, we shouldn't have to hope for TrumpCare to pass.

"Listen up, you punks. If you let this bill pass we will be FORCED to demand poor people receive a modicum standard of living! We don't want to do it, but so help me..."
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 01:45:53 AM »

I'm starting to truly believe that the United States will have single-payer in my lifetime.  It's only a matter of when Democrats get the trifecta.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 01:58:08 AM »

I'm starting to truly believe that the United States will have single-payer in my lifetime.  It's only a matter of when Democrats get the trifecta.

I think the Democratic trifecta would have to be a particularly left-wing one that would have the courage and initiative to nuke the filibuster once and for all.  I have doubts Dems will ever be able to win 60 seats again, with ticket splitting almost turning into a vestige of the past.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »

I would permanently move to Russia.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »

And come on everyone, it seems clear that he supports single-payer as an end goal regardless of whether or not the bill passes. He's just using this to make a point about narrative and public perception.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 03:58:44 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 04:12:54 PM »

Single payer should have been the goal to being with, it shouldn't just be a reaction to Trumpcare being passed.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »

I would permanently move to Russia.

Not seeing any negatives here.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 05:21:29 PM »

Threat or not, AHCA or not, retaking Congress or not, the Democrats won't do jack sh**t to institute single payer.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This part makes it sound like the public option more than single payer...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies