Is Pittsburgh Northeastern or Midwestern?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:04:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is Pittsburgh Northeastern or Midwestern?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: .
Northeastern

Midwestern

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Is Pittsburgh Northeastern or Midwestern?  (Read 2303 times)
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2017, 10:34:18 PM »
« edited: May 09, 2017, 10:35:52 PM by Zyzz »

Most people rightly assume that PA as a whole is part of the Northeast. Philly is linked to the Acela corridor and is tightly connected to the BosWash megalopolis. But Pittsburgh and western PA has much more in common with Detroit, Cleveland, and Gary than Philadelphia. It has much more of Midwestern Rust Belt feel to it than the rest of PA.

What say you?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:39:09 PM »

Yes, Pittsburgh is in the Rust Belt and the Great Lakes region, that makes it part of the midwest.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:28:51 PM »

The boundry between the northeast and midwest, if there is a definite one (probably pretty fuzzy) runs through central-eastern PA. Pittsburgh is solidly in western PA.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:49:47 PM »

Yes, Pittsburgh is in the Rust Belt and the Great Lakes region, that makes it part of the midwest.

Yea, I agree. You could even toss in Buffalo in that group as well.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »

We don't self identify as Midwestern, that's for sure.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:24:38 AM »

We don't self identify as Midwestern, that's for sure.

FWIW, no one I know would try to claim Pittsburgh as part of the Midwest ... it might not be fully "Northeastern," but even people in Cleveland and Columbus are starting to identify as more "eastern" than most of the Midwest, so Pittsburgh is certainly not a part of our region, at least not to me.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 04:57:55 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2017, 09:05:25 AM by Hoosier_Nick »

100% Midwestern. Imo Harrisburg is the border between midwest/northeast.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »

both
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »

Pittsburgh's Midwestern, along with Western Pennsylvania in general and I'd say the same for Buffalo and Western New York
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 10:59:37 AM »

Pittsburgh's Midwestern, along with Western Pennsylvania in general and I'd say the same for Buffalo and Western New York

Holy shlt, Buffalo, NY is not Midwestern!!  Being culturally different from other areas in your region doesn't just make you not a part of that region anymore.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 06:37:43 PM »

Holy shlt, Buffalo, NY is not Midwestern!!  Being culturally different from other areas in your region doesn't just make you not a part of that region anymore.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone I know would consider us Northeast and be baffled that the question was even being posed. But I guess having abandoned factories makes us Midwestern now?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 06:41:34 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2017, 06:43:33 PM by Santander »

You do realize there are parts of the Midwest that are not part of the Rust Belt, and there are also parts of the Rust Belt that are not part of the Midwest... (Western PA, Western NY, Lehigh Valley)

Culturally, Pittsburgh is probably closer to Detroit than Detroit is to Des Moines or Omaha, but Midwest and Northeast are geographical regions, not cultural regions.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »

Controversial opinion: Pittsburgh is Appalachian, and so neither.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »

I wasn't going to go that far, but I did come in here to mention that it is also a bit Appalachia.  Especially if you drive 30 minutes east of town.
Culturally, Pittsburgh is probably closer to Detroit than Detroit is to Des Moines or Omaha, but Midwest and Northeast are geographical regions, not cultural regions.
Traditionally that was true, but Pitsburgh has managed to do what most of the other rust belt cities have failed to do and that's move into the 21st century with their economy.  It might be more like Omaha than Detroit today.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 08:57:07 AM »

I wasn't going to go that far, but I did come in here to mention that it is also a bit Appalachia.  Especially if you drive 30 minutes east of town.
Traditionally that was true, but Pitsburgh has managed to do what most of the other rust belt cities have failed to do and that's move into the 21st century with their economy.  It might be more like Omaha than Detroit today.

Maybe economically, but Des Moines and Omaha have a noticeably more "Western" and individualist feel to them, IMO.  Pittsburgh seems to still have a more "Rust Belt" community feel, at least to me.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 08:01:04 PM »

I voted Northeastern.

I think it makes sense to divide the Northeast into a "coastal Northeast" and an "interior Northeast", the latter of which includes upper the New England states, upstate New York, and central and western Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh is part of the interior Northeast in this sense.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 08:19:23 PM »

Maybe economically, but Des Moines and Omaha have a noticeably more "Western" and individualist feel to them, IMO.  Pittsburgh seems to still have a more "Rust Belt" community feel, at least to me.
Yeah, that's true.  There are just too many ways we're better, I forget some of them Smiley
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »

Has a Very Rust Belt like feel for it and so does the whole of west Penn.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »

You guys can call it Midwestern every day.  Doesn't matter to us.  We don't consider ourselves midwestern and never will.  Kthxbye.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »

I'm a Census Bureau purist, so I have to regard Pitt as part of the Northeast.

However, it definitely has more of a Rust Belt feel to it-- like Cleveland, Detroit, or Gary. I've never been to Pitt, and I have to wonder whether the locals play Euchre. I understand the Euchre belt stretches to Niagara Falls, NY-- so maybe Niagara Falls should be considered part of Michigan. :-)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »

I'm a Census Bureau purist, so I have to regard Pitt as part of the Northeast.

However, it definitely has more of a Rust Belt feel to it-- like Cleveland, Detroit, or Gary. I've never been to Pitt, and I have to wonder whether the locals play Euchre. I understand the Euchre belt stretches to Niagara Falls, NY-- so maybe Niagara Falls should be considered part of Michigan. :-)

Not much Euchre hear bro.  Pinochle, Gin Rummy and Poker.  Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 11:06:05 PM »

We don't consider ourselves Midwesterners, if for no other reasons than the state border separating ourselves from Ohio and the Appalachian influences, but culturally we are indeed closer to Cleveland, Cinci, and even Columbus, than we are to Philly, Boston, NYC, or Jersey.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 09:57:28 AM »

We don't consider ourselves Midwesterners, if for no other reasons than the state border separating ourselves from Ohio and the Appalachian influences, but culturally we are indeed closer to Cleveland, Cinci, and even Columbus, than we are to Philly, Boston, NYC, or Jersey.

I know in Iowa and Central Illinois, a lot of people draw a bit of a line at the time zones, too.  My sister lives in Indianapolis, and even there she said they're a bit regionally confused.  When it's convenient, they're "more eastern" compared to Illinois, "more Southern" compared to Michigan, "more Midwestern" compared to Ohio, "more Northern" compared to Kentucky, etc.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 10:15:18 AM »

Glad to live in a bubble filled with Northeastern transplants and immigrants who don't care about silly things like regional identity.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 10:22:59 AM »

Glad to live in a bubble filled with Northeastern transplants and immigrants who don't care about silly things like regional identity.

Ban the immigrants!  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies