HOUSE BILL: The Currency of Atlasia Act (Passed - Sent to VP/PPT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:29:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: The Currency of Atlasia Act (Passed - Sent to VP/PPT)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: The Currency of Atlasia Act (Passed - Sent to VP/PPT)  (Read 3037 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2017, 05:11:46 AM »
« edited: August 08, 2017, 05:31:54 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Atlasian People's House of Representatives
Pending
[/quote]

Sponsor: OneJ
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:12:22 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to commence an advocacy for this.

All other members have a subsequent 48 hours post initial comments and questions.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »

Thank you.

It is my duty to introduce to y'all this bill which officially establishes a currency system within the Republic of Atlasia in order for citizens to engage in everyday actions.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:44:09 AM »

Who is currently on our money?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:44:40 AM »

Whats it minted out of/printed on?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »

My main objection is that this limits the ability of the federal reserve to print higher notes should future inflation require higher notes. I guess they could appeal to the legislature, but we'd almost certainly move slower than financially optimal.

The only other quibbles I can think of are that this kills the $2 bill (which is a thing), and that this takes away the power to make $1 coins.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 10:50:30 PM »

First off, I'd like to propose this amendment:
Polymer banknotes are cleaner, safer and more durable than paper notes and I feel that this opportunity should be used to move Atlasia towards the polymer banknotes. I've added a clause that will allow for current dollar bills to remain legal tender for two years following this bill going into affect to allow for the transition to occur.

I echo the concerns raised by Dereich about limiting the federal reserve the ability to print higher domination banknotes, should it be required in the future. Although, I recognise that this bill could be amended to allow for that to happen.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 11:08:21 PM »

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing is responsible for paper currency and the United States Mint for all coinage. Incidentally, the Federal Reserve has nothing to do with the process.

Anyway, could I just add as an observer that legislation which is so specific in this vein is rather unworkable. Much better, in my opinion, to leave the decisions on denominations to the respective agencies, and if the Congress wishes to institute a commemorative coinage series for example, that could easily be done through legislation.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 01:14:06 AM »

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing is responsible for paper currency and the United States Mint for all coinage. Incidentally, the Federal Reserve has nothing to do with the process.

Anyway, could I just add as an observer that legislation which is so specific in this vein is rather unworkable. Much better, in my opinion, to leave the decisions on denominations to the respective agencies, and if the Congress wishes to institute a commemorative coinage series for example, that could easily be done through legislation.

Whoops, my mistake. Still doesn't change the inflation concerns though; we wouldn't want something like this to happen.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 01:30:26 AM »

"Cleaner", "safer" and "more durable"?

Those are nice qualities, but what is the cost of the polymer versus the current material?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 02:01:20 AM »

"Cleaner", "safer" and "more durable"?

Those are nice qualities, but what is the cost of the polymer versus the current material?
The Bank of England have spent £24m on producing 275m £5 banknotes since introducing polymer notes last October, or 9 pence per note (approx 12 cents). This is apparently 50% higher than the previous materials, but they have a longer shelf life. The Bank of England predict that moving to polymer notes will save them £100m over ten years, due to them being more durable than the previous paper notes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 03:57:20 AM »

I need sponsors feedback!!!!
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 05:34:26 AM »

I'll remind everyone of a related bill by Pingvin back shortly after the reset:

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 10:35:06 AM »

My main objection is that this limits the ability of the federal reserve to print higher notes should future inflation require higher notes. I guess they could appeal to the legislature, but we'd almost certainly move slower than financially optimal.

The only other quibbles I can think of are that this kills the $2 bill (which is a thing), and that this takes away the power to make $1 coins.
Sorry about that everyone I couldn't get to you all sooner.

The bill originally written is the baseline and I should've added that some other forms of currency could be produced as well if the federal reserve requests to do so.

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 10:44:55 AM »

First off, I'd like to propose this amendment:
Polymer banknotes are cleaner, safer and more durable than paper notes and I feel that this opportunity should be used to move Atlasia towards the polymer banknotes. I've added a clause that will allow for current dollar bills to remain legal tender for two years following this bill going into affect to allow for the transition to occur.

I echo the concerns raised by Dereich about limiting the federal reserve the ability to print higher domination banknotes, should it be required in the future. Although, I recognise that this bill could be amended to allow for that to happen.

Clyde's amendment receives friendly feedback from me.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 01:01:54 PM »

Whoops, my mistake. Still doesn't change the inflation concerns though; we wouldn't want something like this to happen.

It doesn't really matter, but I thought I'd share a factoid! Grin You're absolutely right, of course, that the Federal Reserve controls and influences the flow of money in the money market.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 05:15:47 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »

Love the idea of polymer banknotes - aside from the longer shelf life it would definitely make counterfeiting much more difficult.

That aside, this bill needs to allow for more flexibility as Dereich mentioned. I think there should be a provision that allows the BEP to print and coin other denominations than those listed here at their own discretion. Having the legislature amend the bill every time we want to add a 50¢ coin or $2 bill would just make it cumbersome.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 08:55:47 PM »

Love the idea of polymer banknotes - aside from the longer shelf life it would definitely make counterfeiting much more difficult.

That aside, this bill needs to allow for more flexibility as Dereich mentioned. I think there should be a provision that allows the BEP to print and coin other denominations than those listed here at their own discretion. Having the legislature amend the bill every time we want to add a 50¢ coin or $2 bill would just make it cumbersome.

Perhaps we could have the best of both worlds; the BEP is allowed to do runs of other denominations, but these must be limited in duration without legislative approval. I suppose it'd be like the effect of the War Powers Act on presidential ability to wage war. In general, they'd be limited to the denominations in the statute  but would have some flexibility for unexpected problems or some anniversary that called for another denomination.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 08:26:31 AM »

Perhaps we could have the best of both worlds; the BEP is allowed to do runs of other denominations, but these must be limited in duration without legislative approval. I suppose it'd be like the effect of the War Powers Act on presidential ability to wage war. In general, they'd be limited to the denominations in the statute  but would have some flexibility for unexpected problems or some anniversary that called for another denomination.

Ah, okay. I do indeed see now that clarification of the BEP being allowed to add other denominations if they feel the need to do so should be added in an effort for more flexibility and better understanding.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 09:59:07 PM »

I propose the following amendment as the previous one had no objection:

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 06:35:53 AM »

Amendment H6:04 by Clyde has been adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 06:38:50 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »

Talk about government waste. We could save hundreds of millions of dollars every year by removing pennies and nickels from circulation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 10:45:59 AM »

Amendment H6:05 has been adopted.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies