Forum Members' Locations - Regions Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:53:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Forum Members' Locations - Regions Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Which of the following regions are you currently living in (see region breakdown below)?
Northeast - New England

Northeast - Mid-Atlantic

South - Deep South

South - Border South

Midwest - Big Ten Country

Midwest - Plains/Border Midwest

West - Mountain West

West - West Coast

West - Non-Lower 48

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 100

Author Topic: Forum Members' Locations - Regions Poll  (Read 2772 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »

I'm in South Florida (Boca). It's neither the deep south or the border south, so I feel like I don't have an option to pick in this thread. Sad

LOL, I wasn't trying to create some subjective cultural regions here.  The "Border South" is simply comprised of states that are a part of the South but not considered to be the "Deep South," including (all of) Florida.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 09:53:45 PM »

Old England
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 07:11:15 AM »

One of the 7 states of "big 10 country"

I don't remember what big 10 refers to
The Big Ten Conference includes most of the flagship universities in those states:

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Nebraska
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Northwestern

These are mostly huge schools with strong academic reputations that this have a ton of alumni in the area, so they leave a pretty strong cultural footprint in the Midwest. The members west of Iowa and east of Ohio (except Penn State) haven't been members of the conference for as long, so their states don't get lumped in with "Big Ten Country" as often.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »

One of the 7 states of "big 10 country"

I don't remember what big 10 refers to
The Big Ten Conference includes most of the flagship universities in those states:

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Nebraska
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Northwestern

These are mostly huge schools with strong academic reputations that this have a ton of alumni in the area, so they leave a pretty strong cultural footprint in the Midwest. The members west of Iowa and east of Ohio (except Penn State) haven't been members of the conference for as long, so their states don't get lumped in with "Big Ten Country" as often.

An example would be the media would routinely do "Big Ten Battleground" graphics, where they'd show the current polling results in each of those Midwestern states on the screen.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »

South - Deep South

Pretty much is the capitol of the Deep South tbh.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »

South - Deep South

Pretty much is the capitol of the Deep South tbh.

I've heard that Alabama is the heart of the south though Tongue
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »

Since Florida is apparently Border South, then I'm Border South.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2017, 10:39:26 PM »

Missouri = best ouri
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 10:44:24 PM »

Should foreigners even be allowed here?  We either have a country or we don't.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 10:56:41 PM »

Border South (NC)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 02:11:43 AM »

south so deep, really makes u think
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2017, 01:53:31 AM »

Border South (TX)
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 03:23:20 AM »

Going to college in Big 10 Country, but I still think of myself as a New Englander.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 11:21:05 AM »

Deep south
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 02:00:07 PM »

Going to college in Big 10 Country, but I still think of myself as a New Englander.

Where?  And nothin' wrong with staying loyal to your roots!  I went to high school and college in Iowa City, but I still consider myself an Illinoisan at heart.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2017, 02:02:15 PM »

Where? And nothin' wrong with staying loyal to your roots!  I went to high school and college in Iowa City, but I still consider myself an Illinoisan at heart.
Replace Illinois, German, or Lutheran with white and tell me you would still say this.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2017, 04:15:36 PM »

Where? And nothin' wrong with staying loyal to your roots!  I went to high school and college in Iowa City, but I still consider myself an Illinoisan at heart.
Replace Illinois, German, or Lutheran with white and tell me you would still say this.

Why would I say that when it's not remotely the same?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »

Can you choose your ethnicity? Can you choose where you were born? Can you choose your skin color? Are the answers to these questions the same?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2017, 04:22:18 PM »

Can you choose your ethnicity? Can you choose where you were born? Can you choose your skin color? Are the answers to these questions the same?

"White" is clearly a broader term that doesn't carry the cultural distinctiveness that being from a specific state or having ancestry from a specific country or being part of a specific religion, all things that unify the people involved over shared ideals.  Being proud of being "White" is as ridiculous as being proud of having blonde hair - there is no inherent culture to either, unless you think that people who don't have those traits are inferior or something.

Now quit trolling a thread about forum members' locations and go outside or something.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »

"White" is clearly a broader term that doesn't carry the cultural distinctiveness that being from a specific state or having ancestry from a specific country or being part of a specific religion, all things that unify the people involved over shared ideals.  Being proud of being "White" is as ridiculous as being proud of having blonde hair - there is no inherent culture to either, unless you think that people who don't have those traits are inferior or something.

Now quit trolling a thread about forum members' locations and go outside or something.
"New England" is clearly broader than an individual state, just as "white" is broader than German ethnicity.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »

"New England" is clearly broader than an individual state, just as "white" is broader than German ethnicity.

But it is less broad than a country, which is an example you and I both addressed as perfectly understandable to be proud of.  A White American has more in common with a Black American than they do with a White Italian.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »

New England, born and raised.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »

I'm in New England....southwestern CT, to be more specific.  Smiley
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2017, 08:08:50 PM »

Interesting that a plurality of all members (who have voted) are from the South. 

I personally voted Mid-Atlantic (accidentally) instead of Border South since I am so accustomed to having Northern Virginia grouped in with the Northeast. 
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »

How does a Happy Valley resident vote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies