What about the Mormon vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:05:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What about the Mormon vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What about the Mormon vote?  (Read 550 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »

An interesting question just occurred to me as I was reading an article arguing that the far-right vote is motivated more by White identity politics than economic issues or class interests. What about the Mormon vote? Mormons are a largely non-Hispanic White demographic that voted 80% for Bush in 2004, 78% for Romney in 2012, and 61% for Trump in 2016. In Utah, Trump held only 45% of the vote, in contrast with Romney and even McCain's routing of Obama in the state.

While Trump held a strong majority of Mormon voters nationwide, he nevertheless plummeted among this group in comparison to previous Republican candidates. Utah had the strongest trend of all states in the nation, more than twice the number two state, at 31.76% Democratic trend. Nearly every county in the state of Utah trended Democratic...

So, what explains the Mormon vote? It would be understandable why African Americans, Hispanics, and Asians (Mormon and non-Mormon ones, of course) would not shift towards Trump even if the root cause was economic anxiety. Those groups are not inclined to vote for the GOP, not to mention they were frequently exploited for Trump's political gain. But why would a demographic that was not targeted by Trump, has consistently voted extremely Republican, and has not, as a group, benefited from globalization in any particularly unique way, swing so hard against him? Are they simply an exception to the rule? Or was the issue for them also identity politics and, driven by that, record numbers defected from Trump and his far-right message?
mieastwick
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 10:52:29 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2017, 10:57:50 PM by mieastwick »

Family values (social issues). Also, Mormons are far less favorable to tough immigration stances and far more favorable to economic conservatism than typical Republicans East of the Mississippi. Trump wasn't much of an advocate of economic conservatism and family values, but was a big advocate of immigration restrictions. Not the way to please Mormons. Huckabee did terribly in Utah in 08, too, as the way to win Appalachia is not the way to make inroads into Utah.

BTW Blacks did shift toward Trump. Hispanics and Asians are hard to generalize about.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 11:01:29 PM »

Family values (social issues). Also, Mormons are far less favorable to tough immigration stances and far more favorable to economic conservatism than typical Republicans East of the Mississippi. Trump wasn't much of an advocate of economic conservatism and family values, but was a big advocate of immigration restrictions. Not the way to please Mormons. Huckabee did terribly in Utah in 08, too.

BTW Blacks did shift toward Trump. Hispanics and Asians are hard to generalize about.

Oh, I know. I meant it would be understandable why they would not, I did not mean that they did not. Poor wording on my part.

While everything you said seems true, my question was really the Mormon vote in the broader context of whether Trump's vote (and the far-right more generally) was driven by economic or identity issues. If it was economic, then why did Mormons buck that trend so significantly? Or is the Mormon vote a good indicator that it wasn't economic, but rather identity (and not just for Mormons, but for Americans overall)?
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:20:56 PM »

Egg McMuffin
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:49:53 PM »

But there wouldn't have been a mass defection to him among Mormons if they were not deeply alienated from Trump and his campaign.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 12:35:41 AM »

While immigration and family values are by far the biggest dealbreakers [but obviously not enough against he she-who-stood-by-Bill], anti-globalisation should not be overlooked.

Indeed, it is folly to underestimate the impact of big business [whether it be Romney's Bain Capital or the Marriott hotels] has on the culture [the Utah culture anyway]. And we all know what big business generally thinks of globalization.

And with missionaries doing their thing and coming back to generally become businesspeople, it cannot be stressed how badly isolationism is gonna sell. Hard to stay provinically-minded when you've traveled long and far for 2 years after all.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 01:27:42 AM »

Basically immigration and identity issues. Specifically the clash of Mormon identity against Trump's very un-Mormon identity.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 11:58:30 AM by Torie »

Mormons don't seem to mind immigrants. At least that is my impression. Perhaps part of it, is that is just more souls to reach out to.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 11:51:09 AM by Zioneer »

Mormans don't seem to mind immigrants. At least that is my impression. Perhaps part of it, is that is just more souls to reach out to.
Yes, and a lot of our new converts happen to be from Latin America/South America. We have 1 million each in both Mexico and Brazil respectively.

In fact, a couple years back there was a mess over a Guatemalan LDS bishop (head of one congregation) being deported, and the LDS Church determined not to let that happen again.

We don't like xenophobia, and a great deal of our former missionary members have ties of one kind or another to the southern half of the Americas.

Also, I hate to be a pendant, but there's no "A" in Mormons. Just two "O"s. Or you can call us Mermans, at least that would be funny. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 01:39:34 PM by Torie »

Mormans don't seem to mind immigrants. At least that is my impression. Perhaps part of it, is that is just more souls to reach out to.
Yes, and a lot of our new converts happen to be from Latin America/South America. We have 1 million each in both Mexico and Brazil respectively.

In fact, a couple years back there was a mess over a Guatemalan LDS bishop (head of one congregation) being deported, and the LDS Church determined not to let that happen again.

We don't like xenophobia, and a great deal of our former missionary members have ties of one kind or another to the southern half of the Americas.

Also, I hate to be a pendant, but there's no "A" in Mormons. Just two "O"s. Or you can call us Mermans, at least that would be funny. Tongue

How about Mermaids? Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies