German newspaper: "The FPÖ will be in power soon, the EU must get used to it."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:53:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German newspaper: "The FPÖ will be in power soon, the EU must get used to it."
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: German newspaper: "The FPÖ will be in power soon, the EU must get used to it."  (Read 796 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/regierungskrise-in-oesterreich-europa-muss-damit-rechnen-dass-die-fpoe-bald-mitregiert-1.3501146

True.

But it will be different this time: In 2000, the EU went into full boycott-mode. This time, they will be more like: "Yeah, whatever ..."
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 02:06:28 PM »

I mean both Slovakia and Romania have governments allied with far-right parties (yeah, I know SNS have moderated but still) and the EU haven't made a peep. Heck, the FPO doesn't seem hugely to the right of ANEL which is Syriza's subordinate partner; and I assume an FPO government wouldn't be hugely dissimilar to Fizdez/Smer/PiS/ANO.

(also how did you get a title longer than the character limit?)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »

wouldn't be hugely dissimilar to Fizdez/Smer/PiS/ANO.

i am not totally sure i would put ANO/SMER into the same category as fidesz/pis.

and ...well...while the fpö is a party made by nazis, for nazis and still got a lot of nazis, i guess they are instutionalized nazis....
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 05:43:11 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Isn't it a little early to be making this pronouncement, given that the FPÖ candidate lost by almost 8% in the recent Presidential election?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 05:52:31 PM »

Isn't it a little early to be making this pronouncement, given that the FPÖ candidate lost by almost 8% in the recent Presidential election?

to be totally fair, a correct translation of the headline reads more like "is going to be part of the government soon".
palandio

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 03:26:20 AM »

SPÖ and ÖVP, who currently are in government together, absolutely hate each other. Both of them would probably prefer the FPÖ over each other at this point (although the SPÖ left is not happy about it). Remember that their predecessors went to civil war in the 1930s.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 08:05:59 PM »

to be totally fair, a correct translation of the headline reads more like "is going to be part of the government soon".

I would hope the EU could handle them being part of a government coalition, though maybe not. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies