Hey Trumpers! Do you regret your vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:08:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hey Trumpers! Do you regret your vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are you having buyers remorse now?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Hey Trumpers! Do you regret your vote?  (Read 3439 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 06:59:10 PM »

Still happy with my Johnson vote. Smiley
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 11:26:14 PM »

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 04:37:18 PM »

Joke aside. I think that
80% of his voters are happy or don't give a f**k as long as economy is good (thanks Obama), Supreme Court, Taxes etc.
15% are really enjoying (krazen)
5% regret (but-still-better-then-Hillary'ers).

I think the economy is one thing that will sink or save him in 18 or 20.  His policies are unpopular and he has been struggling to implement those policies. Given normal conditions, states that he won/lost by less than 2% may move around, but he will still come out on top. Especially if the election is decided by the meme that Democrats are comparatively socially inept. However, if the economy significantly weakens before the election and there isn't yet a recovery, an expected defection rate of 5% might rise to 10%. He can win 5% of Hillary voters, but he can't win 10%. And if 10% are falling of the wagon, maybe 3-5% tops are defecting towards him.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »

I'm disappointed, but I still believe it was the right decision with the information available at the time. Even in hindsight, I think it was the right decision.

Sometimes, you don't choose between good and bad, you choose between bad and worse.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »

It's a little early for there to be a strong sense of regret from Trump supporters (especially those who specifically like him, and aren't just partisan Republicans.) I wouldn't be surprised if, in another year or two, there will be a non-negligible percentage of Trump voters who regret voting for him. It won't be anywhere near 50%, but it might be in the 5-10% range.

By the end of the Trump presidency if he's impeached or is still in the 30s popularity 20% of the Trump voters will have recanted. Nobody likes being on a losing side indefinitely.

I can't vouch for how true this is, but I remember hearing that Hoover retained 80% of his 1928 voters in 1932.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2017, 07:21:02 PM »

No, I do not.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »

On a general note - I really think that the line the Democratic Party should be taking wrt winning over Trump voters is "Trump conned you", not passing judgement on the voters themselves. People get defensive when they're attacked and dig their heels in deeper - just look at how Trump supporters turned the "deplorable" label into a badge of honor.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »

NeederNodder
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -7.28

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »

It took me 5 years to regret supporting Obama so I guess wait till after 2020.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »

Ask Trumpers if they voted for him or against the Left. The answer should be far more illuminating and will speak to your question better. People are defensive creatures, and none more than the Trumpers.

Trump could literally shoot someone or declare martial law and as long as the liberals howled the Trumpets will psychologically support him. A sizable contingent will flip when social costs become too exorbitant

I myself voted W to avoid in part being forced to defend the president. It saves me a great deal of psychological contortions and gymnastics.

This is why I voted for him. Not so much because I liked him but because I'm against the left. I still have family living in Venezuela and that's what the left could bring
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »

Ask Trumpers if they voted for him or against the Left. The answer should be far more illuminating and will speak to your question better. People are defensive creatures, and none more than the Trumpers.

Trump could literally shoot someone or declare martial law and as long as the liberals howled the Trumpets will psychologically support him. A sizable contingent will flip when social costs become too exorbitant

I myself voted W to avoid in part being forced to defend the president. It saves me a great deal of psychological contortions and gymnastics.

This is why I voted for him. Not so much because I liked him but because I'm against the left. I still have family living in Venezuela and that's what the left could bring
lmbo
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2017, 02:15:51 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2017, 02:17:37 PM by TD »

Oh I agree, the Left has been a disaster in other countries. No question about that. The problem as I see it is the Alt Right might just wind up having similar effects as the Left. These liberals were autocratic and economically statist. The Trumpian ideology has some similarities here. Not as much on economic statism but the autocratic tendencies cannot be ignored.

For obvious reasons I would vote against a Sanders leftist for similar reasons.

Anyhow it's a legitimate reason to vote for him. I don't agree with it but it's legitimate.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »

On a general note - I really think that the line the Democratic Party should be taking wrt winning over Trump voters is "Trump conned you", not passing judgement on the voters themselves. People get defensive when they're attacked and dig their heels in deeper - just look at how Trump supporters turned the "deplorable" label into a badge of honor.

He made promises and sold you out.

That is my message.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2017, 06:55:34 PM »

lmbo
So that's where they went!
mencken
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2017, 06:58:09 PM »

I'm disappointed, but I still believe it was the right decision with the information available at the time. Even in hindsight, I think it was the right decision.

Sometimes, you don't choose between good and bad, you choose between bad and worse.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2017, 07:21:21 PM »

Oh I agree, the Left has been a disaster in other countries. No question about that. The problem as I see it is the Alt Right might just wind up having similar effects as the Left. These liberals were autocratic and economically statist. The Trumpian ideology has some similarities here. Not as much on economic statism but the autocratic tendencies cannot be ignored.

Anyhow it's a legitimate reason to vote for him. I don't agree with it but it's legitimate.

As it happens, we were in trouble well before November 8th. I am not thrilled with Trump, but these topics annoy me in part because of the seeming implication that it's all down to Trump and we might have been fine otherwise. These currents have existed for a while now and would continue to exist regardless.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »

As it happens, we were in trouble well before November 8th. I am not thrilled with Trump, but these topics annoy me in part because of the seeming implication that it's all down to Trump and we might have been fine otherwise. These currents have existed for a while now and would continue to exist regardless.

We = the Republicans or the country? I wanted to ask before expanding.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »

Nope.  I hope he can still bring in some of his more populist elements, such as infrastructure spending and a less interventionist foreign policy stance, but ANY of the alternatives would have been worse, in my opinion (except for Evan McMullin, he wouldn't have been SO bad. I just agree with Trump on more issues)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2017, 08:14:26 PM »

I'm not a Trumper (are we calling them "trumpers" now?), but I voted no because anyway I do not regret voting for Bradford Lyttle for President.  He didn't win so he didn't influence policy and therefore I don't have the luxury of regretting it, do I? 

(OP:  offer a third option next time saying "I'm not a Trumper--I still like "Trumpets" better--but I like voting in internet straw polls.)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2017, 08:19:32 AM »

I wish he was a little more conservative and stayed more true to his message, but I'm nonetheless loving it and basking in the greatness and glory of Trump all day long!
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »

I wish he was a little more less conservative and stayed more true to his message, but I'm nonetheless loving it and basking in the greatness and glory of Trump all day long!
Tancred
Rookie

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »

No. I voted for Trump mostly due to his stance on the trade issue. I didn't trust Hillary Clinton on the TPP and I am happy that Trump killed that deal.

That being said Trump has been a disappointment in other areas like foreign policy (I think we should stay out of Syria entirely) and outside of the trade issue it looks like Trump's economic policy is standard fare GOP policy, which is not what I agree with.

I admit that I thought there was a chance that Trump would be a genuine populist maverick. I will likely vote for the Democratic candidate in 2020 unless they put up someone really bad like Cory Booker or Andrew Cuomo. 
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »

Not even a little bit. I never supported him in the primaries, but I can't think of anything he could realistically do that would make Clinton a better choice.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »

I wish he was a little more conservative and stayed more true to his message, but I'm nonetheless loving it and basking in the greatness and glory of Trump all day long!

That is the normal language for use in discussing the Eternal President, his son, and his grandson... in North Korea. Except that such is usually done in Korean.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies