An ethical dilemma, which do you choose?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:41:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  An ethical dilemma, which do you choose?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
First option (fight)

Second option (flight)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: An ethical dilemma, which do you choose?  (Read 1911 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »

You are the leader of your small nation of 1 million people. There is a larger, more powerful nation which, for reasons out of your control, hates your nation and tries to chase it down with the object of destroying it. Fortunately, you have a reliable way of escaping his larger nation, but not before, every generation, that nation is able to kill off 10% of your population. This has been going on for as many generations as history records.

If, instead of fleeing, you choose to turn around and fight this larger nation, there is a 10% chance you will succeed, but a 90% chance your nation will be entirely wiped out, and there will never be another generation again.

If you continue to flee, your nation is 98% guaranteed to be able to survive indefinitely into the future, under the status quo, a 1% chance it will be wiped out anyway, and a 1% chance the threat will miraculously disappear.

Which do you choose?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 02:31:52 PM »

Option two. Not out of any ethical reasoning. I'm just quite conservative when it comes to decision making.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 02:34:49 PM »

Option two. Not out of any ethical reasoning. I'm just quite conservative when it comes to decision making.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 03:08:59 PM »

Moderate hero:  put it up to a vote and decide accordingly.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 03:33:16 PM »

1967 proves the second option right.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »

1967 proves the second option right.

People seem confused as to which option is one, and which is two. Do you mind editing the options to "fight" and "flight"?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 11:59:57 PM »

Moderate hero:  put it up to a vote and decide accordingly.

This. No leader, even if democratically elected and well-intentioned, has the right to make such a decision for the others. The choice belongs to all of the people.

I myself would probably vote option 2, and I suspect a wide majority would.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 12:13:28 AM »

Option two is a no brainer.
Also, as a pacifist, it is the only option for me.

The reason that everyone is not a pacifist, is the simple reality, (a crazy one at that),  as was stated on the television series "All in the Family" (by a vigilante Jew) that "homo sapiens is a killer species".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 01:54:15 AM »

option 2, but work really really REALLY hard on figuring out a way out of this mess....wait.  Can we pick which 10%?

Did it just get cold in here?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 05:32:20 PM »

Second option, and I consider myself fairly hawkish. I don't think a choice with a 90% chance that your nation dies out is much of a choice at all.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2017, 05:42:58 PM by Snowguy716 »

option 2, but work really really REALLY hard on figuring out a way out of this mess....wait.  Can we pick which 10%?

Yeah you know immediately that that would happen.

The result would be a society, where, at best, there was a lottery for those who would be killed.  But in reality they'd just start labeling people into various classes with the bottom 10% of classes always pushed out for the slaughter.  Whether this was done formally, or they just kinda let the slower people fall behind... the result is the same.

Option 1.

We live together or we die together.  Those motherf**kers over there will not destroy our society from within.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 07:28:07 AM »

option 2, but work really really REALLY hard on figuring out a way out of this mess....wait.  Can we pick which 10%?

Yeah you know immediately that that would happen.
oh yeah.  I mean, in a perfect world you could weed out the weak and the dumb and potentially advance your society passed the one that keeps kicking your ass.....but that's not how it would play out.  (and even that is a bit funked up, hence the "did it just get cold in here?" joke).....I don't know...it's dark as hell to think about, but if you're going to lose 10% no matter what....a society probably should at least pick the old if not the ugly and dumb instead of totally random.

"grandpa Corky survived the purge, but the pre-med star of the Uni basketball team is dead?  That's not good."
"yeah, and Beet's Angel of Death passed over both McDonald's and Wal Mart entirely but got the Mayor's newborn and the town Rabbi."
"worst of all, Tom Hanks is gone, but we seem to have more Kardashians than ever!"
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 01:39:47 PM »

For everyone seeing as most are saying 'flight' what percentage of success would change your mind to 'fight'? 50-50, 30-70?

Also to the OP would the people be in one country while fleeing or spread around like in the real world?

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »

Other people's lives are not mine to give so two, while leaning heavily towards some sort of Ghandi option if possible. I know full well a Ghandi in this scenario would likely just be killed off by the aggressor.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 02:33:27 AM »

Opt. 1

Little good can come from cannibalizing out a 10% to die as some kind of sacrifice and the cycle just continues

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 02:03:07 AM »

Consult with Captain James T. Kirk,  the first person to defeat the Kobayshi Maru test.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru
The Puppeteer
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 08:45:52 PM »

In general I prefer to avoid conflict but I will always stand strong for my convictions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies