Have you fully read a religious text?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:02:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Have you fully read a religious text?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: How much of your religion's sacred text (or that of another religion) have you read? And did they "speak" to you?
All of it - more than once

All of it - once

Most of it

Some of it

None of it

Yes, they "spoke" to me

No, they did not "speak" to me

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Have you fully read a religious text?  (Read 7222 times)
Greatest I am
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 06:22:03 PM »

Examples of these sacred texts would obviously include the Bible, Quran, Torah, and so on... Also, by "speak" to you, I obviously mean if you felt some religious feeling or felt moved by them.

Personally, I have only read some of the Bible and some of the Quran. While I found them fascinating from a philosophical and historical perspective, there was nothing in those texts that "spoke" to me or moved me in any way. I can appreciate some of the beauty in their message and especially how revolutionary they were for their times, but they caused absolutely no religious/spiritual feeling in me. Honestly, I have never had that and largely believe it is solely a particular psychological experience with no greater explanation or meaning. But, obviously, I could be wrong.

Some years ago now I read about 8 different bibles and holy books from various religions and they left me cold due to their lack of moral teaching or even worse showing how immoral some of their tenets were. Near the end of my reading and research I came across Gnostic Christianity and soon afterward I was rewarded with my apotheosis.

You will not find God in a book but you might follow the path that one of the Jesus' taught, the more esoteric mystical Jesus, and I would advise it because the church never will as it frees your mind from an idol worshiping religion and mind set to that of a perpetual seeker after the best God you can possibly create for yourself.

This following is how you can find your God.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 06:26:12 PM »

Yes.

Tao Te Ching (a few times).
Bhagavad Gita.

Have started the Qur'an.

Currently doing the New Testament.

Reading of the Eastern wisdom promoting religions I can understand.

I cannot understand, unless it is just for straight knowledge, why anyone would want to read about Christianity or Islam.

Both Christianity and Islam have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I.

Read those religions if you want to improve them or change them to a more civilized form but I would not suggest you join either.

Let your morals guide you and I am sure you wont.

Regards
DL

Are you sure you want to read
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 06:31:19 PM »

I've read every book of the bible at one point or another, but there are several that I haven't read in a long time. As far as being "spoken to", well, with stuff that has a clear commandment or moral message  to it, I've definitely felt like god is teaching me something. But with stuff that's more history-oriented and either has commands that aren't for us or no commands at all (Genesis, Deuteronomy, Acts), no, I don't feel "spoken to", but that doesn't mean we shouldn't read that stuff. The more Christians know about the bible, the better.

I agree with your last as the more Christians learn of their genocidal son murdering God, the better.

That teaches them that they should be looking for a moral God and reject the Christianity's satanic God.

Count the kills that God and Satan are said to have done in that myth.

God does not look good.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 06:36:09 PM »

If you want to be a slave to God, then the idol worshiping religions like Christianity and Islam are there for you.

If you, like the esoteric mystical Jesus, want to make God serve you the way he should, then I recommend the Gnostic Christian Library.

Most think we weak people should bew serving the powerful Gods on offer but consider that in your family, you follow natural law where the strong serve the weak.

If God cannot follow natural law then he is not worthy of us who have to do so.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 06:39:14 PM »

I read the Bible in its entirety during my sophomore and junior years of high school.  Certainly it spoke to me.

It's been some time since I studied Scripture at length, though.

What did it tell you?

Was it showing a loving God or did you notice how that loving God did a lot of innocent baby and children killing?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 06:47:59 PM »

I'm looking for guides to help me think deeper about a number of issues, especially regarding morality. I've gotten a lot of fascinating insights from studying secular moral philosophy, but there's something about it that I've found missing - I'm not quite sure what.

Nice. Morality should be what the Gods are judged on. Not the gifts that are promised by lying priests, preachers and imams.

I try to speak to moral issues with theists and it is like pulling teeth because they cannot argue intelligently for the morality of their Gods and always try to deflect to useless topics like the reality of their God that they cannot prove or argue for.

Do not take my word for this. Try any O.P. that deals with moral issues that paints God as immoral, like the 6 day torture of King David's baby, before finally killing it, that God killed all because he was angry with the King.

Job is also a good one and shows how Christians have developed a double moral standard where they forgive their God for doing what they condemn men for doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mJCCARjyNM

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »

The Christian and Jewish Bibles, and the Quran.

Yes, all three of them "spoke" to me.

Did you rate them by your moral standards?

Regards
DL
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 06:51:38 PM »

New Testament and the Bhagavad Gita
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 06:59:20 PM »

I've read the New Testament in its entirety, but I don't think I've finished Numbers or 2nd Chronicles in the Old Testament.

What do you think of Jesus and his no divorce policy and his substitutionary punishment policies?

Did you also note that there seemed to be more than one Jesus type in the N.T.

One is though to be rather wimpy. That would be the Rome invented one. Another is an esoteric mystic type that places man above God. There is also the angry Jesus who flips tables and uses the Jews to help him with his suicide. We know that one for the last super when his diciples encouraged Judas by not even trying to stop him as Jesus planned when offering Judas the sop, which is more or less a bribe, to turn Jesus over.

Many do not separate the Jesus' but the divisions are rather clear.

Regards
DL
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017, 10:16:48 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2017, 10:45:09 PM by modern maverick »

A Y Y L M A O
Y
Y
L
M
A
O

I really don't think they are. I always found this assumption sort of odd that, to be convincing, a historical Jesus model has to be simple enough that He'd be criticized as flat and one-note if He were a fictional character.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 08:47:39 AM »

Morality is for philosophers: I read religious texts for their poetical value.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 06:23:02 AM »

A Y Y L M A O
Y
Y
L
M
A
O

I really don't think they are. I always found this assumption sort of odd that, to be convincing, a historical Jesus model has to be simple enough that He'd be criticized as flat and one-note if He were a fictional character.

My assumption is more learned than your assumption. :-)

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 06:24:24 AM »

And here I thought morality was for everyone. Oh well.

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »

Regards
DL

There's a time and a place for morality, and it's not when you're reading a religious text. The reason is that morality is an abstraction, an inference, a conjecture, and is thus, like a demiurge, capable of error. By contrast, religion speaks of life directly, in the same way that poetry speaks of life directly, which is why both poetry and religion (properly so-called) are irrefutable.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2017, 10:07:51 AM »

Regards
DL

There's a time and a place for morality, and it's not when you're reading a religious text. The reason is that morality is an abstraction, an inference, a conjecture, and is thus, like a demiurge, capable of error. By contrast, religion speaks of life directly, in the same way that poetry speaks of life directly, which is why both poetry and religion (properly so-called) are irrefutable.

I do not see a text that begins with a talking serpent and ends with a seven headed monster as speaking to life, as those fictional characters have none.

Myths have lessons we can use in life but they do not represent life.

Mother Goose is a children's myth, and quite useful, but it also does not represent life.

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 10:10:13 AM »

I do not see a text that begins with a talking serpent and ends with a seven headed monster as speaking to life, as those fictional characters have none.

Mother Goose is a children's myth, and quite useful, but it also does not represent life.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear you say that.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 10:31:38 AM »

Nice argument to show why. Oh wait. Not.

What do you have against Mother Goose?

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 10:39:31 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 11:21:14 AM by Mopolis »

Nice argument to show why. Oh wait. Not.

I'm sorry to hear that you'd rather enslave yourself to your emanations, than open your mind to life's eternal possibilities.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »

Pffft.

The same garbage as your other post.

Take your swollen head and go away.

Regards
DL
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »

How can the Bible not speak to you? The distinctly human greed, rage, jealousy, vanity, arrogance, foolhardy shortsightedness, and inner turmoil of its characters rings very true to human experience. Eli is a jerk who accuses a woman pouring her soul out in prayer of being a drunk vagrant and raises two jackass sons who steal from the treasury and whore around...and they're the High Priests of Israel..but then Eli's sons die in battle and Eli dies of shock and grief upon hearing the news.

Supreme clergy can be greedy, corrupt assholes, but their position won't save them in the end. The deep flaws of Eli and co. do a great job of stting up the righteous-to-a- fault Samuel as a foil.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2017, 12:26:59 PM »

The bible does speak to many but they mostly end in ignoring what the Bible really shows.

This link shows the proper conclusion lo what theists should see but many ignore it and end in adoring a genocidal son murdering Yahweh.

https://vimeo.com/7038401

Regards
DL
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »

Greatest I am, serious question: Why do you feel the need to be such an insulting, abrasive asshole to everyone? Is this how the vaunted superior morality of ~Gnostic Christianity~ leads one to behave?

Regards
NT
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2017, 05:05:21 PM »

Greatest I am, serious question: Why do you feel the need to be such an insulting, abrasive asshole to everyone? Is this how the vaunted superior morality of ~Gnostic Christianity~ leads one to behave?

Regards
NT

I do not feel that need.

I give what is deserved.

Regards
DL
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017, 07:03:58 PM »

I just don't get how someone can dislike a book with such fantastic stories. Who can forget Gideon, the least son of the least family of the least tribe of Israel, being the one to drive off the Philistines? Who can forget Joshua's spies in Jericho, in danger of certain death upon discovery, surviving only because a common prostitute named Rahab hid and sheltered them, only for Rahab and her family alone to be exempted from the general slaughter of the people of Jericho after the battle? Who can forget Korah rebelling against Moses, arguing that Moses didn't have a better theological justification for rule than anyone else in the tribes, only for Moses to have God literally open the ground beneath Korah and his followers and drop them straight into Hell? The stories are fantastic and vivid and compelling.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »

I just don't get how someone can dislike a book with such fantastic stories. Who can forget Gideon, the least son of the least family of the least tribe of Israel, being the one to drive off the Philistines? Who can forget Joshua's spies in Jericho, in danger of certain death upon discovery, surviving only because a common prostitute named Rahab hid and sheltered them, only for Rahab and her family alone to be exempted from the general slaughter of the people of Jericho after the battle? Who can forget Korah rebelling against Moses, arguing that Moses didn't have a better theological justification for rule than anyone else in the tribes, only for Moses to have God literally open the ground beneath Korah and his followers and drop them straight into Hell? The stories are fantastic and vivid and compelling.

Indeed, but are they moral enough to have adherents to the bible and Christianity ablre to build an worthy ideology around?

Seems these intelligent and moral Jews did/do not think so.

https://vimeo.com/7038401

Regards
DL
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies