NYT: Under DeVos, U.S. Crackdown on For-Profit Schools Is Said to Go Idle (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:05:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYT: Under DeVos, U.S. Crackdown on For-Profit Schools Is Said to Go Idle (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYT: Under DeVos, U.S. Crackdown on For-Profit Schools Is Said to Go Idle  (Read 827 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: May 14, 2017, 03:59:08 AM »

The people you vote for (especially the last person you voted for) have been making a ton of money off of these sh**tty schools for years.  Weird that it's an issue for you now.

the difference, of course, being the last administration cracked down on fake schools while this administration not only loves them but encourages them. Admittedly, in the Obama admin it's too little too late but still.

Also stop with the whataboutery. It's not as poignant as you think it is.
And Obama's buddy Marty Nesbitt thinks he is going to make a killing off of it.  Shady as hell.

Meanwhile, Bill Clinton got paid $17.5 million from a for-profit University, some of it while Hillary was SoS.

I don't care if a school is for profit or not.  I do care if schools are screwing over their students, but it doesn't matter if the school is making money or not.  Non-profit schools screw over students too, and they should have their peepee spanked when they do it just like the for profits.  Trump is wrong here just like he is wrong about most things.  Sure, Bill is less wrong for taking money from them, unless of course he or his wife used their pull to benefit the for profit schools....which of course they did.  Which is why I pointed it out.

For-profit schools serve no purpose other than workforce training. If students are not getting jobs that pay well enough to pay back the loans they borrowed to go there, then it amounts to fraud.

Traditional higher education has never placed "WE'LL GET YOU A JOB!" at the forefront. College was originally basically finishing school for children of the elite. That is no longer the case, but there is still a personal development aspect.

I don't think a person who majored in gender studies at Sarah Lawrence College is going to go straight into a $60K/year job immediately after doing that, but that's not why most people are majoring in gender studies at Sarah Lawrence. However, someone who is majoring in information systems at the University of Phoenix very obviously intends to work in IT and if they cannot do so, that is a problem.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies