Rocky Times: Politics in the United States, 1975-1981
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:05:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Rocky Times: Politics in the United States, 1975-1981
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rocky Times: Politics in the United States, 1975-1981  (Read 967 times)
LabourJersey
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »

Chapter 1: The First Rocky Year

September 5, 1975

...The Time is 1:13 Eastern Standard Time. We are getting reports from Sacramento, California saying President Ford has been shot just a few minutes ago while walking to the California State Capitol

...CBS is getting reports from its Sacramento affiliate that the President has been shot twice, once in the stomach and once in the leg. He has been rushed to Mercy General...

"I got news that morning, it was a Friday. I was sipping coffee and I heard Jerry got shot in the gut by some wilded-eye gal in red. I thought to myself, 'that weak son of b*tch isn't gonna last. Kennedy could've had, if he took it in the gut. But not Jerry--wasn't hard enough for it."
-Former President Richard Nixon, Yorba Linda, 1988.

"I'll never forget flying out that afternoon on the back-up Air Force One. I couldn't stop thinking about Jackie Kennedy--every time I had met her I always found that grief she carried to be so hard to relate to. I was petrified I was going to find out what it was like soon enough."
-Former First Lady Betty Ford, Ford School of Public Policy, Ann Arbor September 1995

...President Ford has been said to be in a coma and physically incapacitated, according to doctors at Mercy General this morning. The Cabinet will be convening in Washington soon to invoke the 25th Amendment, which will make Vice President Rockefeller Acting President for the time being...

Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller, Acting President of the United States
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:55:19 PM »

A very interesting start. Do continue.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »

A wounded President, huh?

Well, this will be good.
MycroftCZ

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 08:46:47 PM »

Nelson Rockefeller? an Acting President? Yes please.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »

September 9, 1975

ROCKEFELLER OFFICIALLY 39TH PRESIDENT, SAYS CABINET; FORD'S CONDITION DETERIORATES

WASHINGTON- An announcement from the United States Cabinet Monday morning stated than given President Gerald Ford's worsening condition and low chance of recovery, they have voted to formally remove him from office. Acting President Nelson Rockefeller has taken the oath of office as the 39th President last night, and will speak to the American people this evening.

The Cabinet noted that Former First Lady Betty Ford was involved in the decision to remove her husband from office...

"I knew Jerry's time on this earth was ticking down, and for his sake and my own sake I knew we couldn't leave the leadership of our country in jeopardy like this. Lord knows it was a tough decision--Susan asked me, "What if there's a miracle and Dad comes back---what's he going to say when he learns you got him fired?"

I suppose when you say it like that it's almost a joke. But there's no question that the country was better off with Nelson clearly in charge."
--Former First Lady Betty Ford, Ford School of Public Policy, September 1995

"I bet John Sr is popping champagne in the grave. I sure they buried some with him." --Alice Roosevelt Longworth, upon hearing of Rockefeller's inauguration.

October 2, 1975

GALLUP: Do you support President Rockefeller [conducted Sept. 24-28, 1975]
YES: 84%
NO 12%
Don't Know/Undecided: 4%

...President Rockfeller rejected questions on whether or not he will run for a full term in '76...Similarly, Governor Ronald Reagan has remained silent whether he will resume his campaign for the Republican nomination, which has been suspended since the assasination attempt on President Ford on Sep. 5...
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:01 AM »

There goes my prediction: Rockefeller wins 1976 due to the circumstances he got into office, but dies in '79 when he actually did. His VP gets defeated in '80. Five presidents between 1974 and 1981.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 09:04:05 PM »

Chapter 1: The First Rocky Year

September 5, 1975

...The Time is 1:13 Eastern Standard Time. We are getting reports from Sacramento, California saying President Ford has been shot just a few minutes ago while walking to the California State Capitol

...CBS is getting reports from its Sacramento affiliate that the President has been shot twice, once in the stomach and once in the leg. He has been rushed to Mercy General...

"I got news that morning, it was a Friday. I was sipping coffee and I heard Jerry got shot in the gut by some wilded-eye gal in red. I thought to myself, 'that weak son of b*tch isn't gonna last. Kennedy could've had, if he took it in the gut. But not Jerry--wasn't hard enough for it."
-Former President Richard Nixon, Yorba Linda, 1988.

"I'll never forget flying out that afternoon on the back-up Air Force One. I couldn't stop thinking about Jackie Kennedy--every time I had met her I always found that grief she carried to be so hard to relate to. I was petrified I was going to find out what it was like soon enough."
-Former First Lady Betty Ford, Ford School of Public Policy, Ann Arbor September 1995

...President Ford has been said to be in a coma and physically incapacitated, according to doctors at Mercy General this morning. The Cabinet will be convening in Washington soon to invoke the 25th Amendment, which will make Vice President Rockefeller Acting President for the time being...

Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller, Acting President of the United States
IIRC, Nixon was living in New Jersey by 1988.  Was this at his library?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies