AZ-02: Dem internal shows McSally in trouble
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:04:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-02: Dem internal shows McSally in trouble
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: AZ-02: Dem internal shows McSally in trouble  (Read 3518 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »

PPP poll, sponsored by McSally's 2016 Dem opponent:

48% Heinz (D)
44% McSally (R)

48% Kirkpatrick (D)
44% McSally (R)

Obviously should be taken with a grain of salt, but McSally's not exactly entrenched. She got elected in  2014 by ~150 votes, so I think this is pretty high up on the list for seats to flip.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »

and both Heinz and Kirkpatrick are second tier candidates - very bad numbers for Martha "The deciding vote" McSally!
mds32
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 05:24:10 PM »

It would be amazing to see McSally go down, many have said she would be John McCain's replacement in 2022.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »

Get her out of here.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »

But..but...rising star! Sad
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 07:17:38 PM »

Now lets see how a candidate who is A) not damaged by a failed senate run, B) from this district, and C) not a complete joke who can't fund-raise and already lost does.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »

She won 56-43% in 2016, even as Trump won by 1.1%. It means that she's established some crossover support. I wouldn't also rule out her given that midterm electorates are older and whiter; and thus, more Republican in nature.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 09:16:44 PM »

She won 56-43% in 2016, even as Trump won by 1.1%. It means that she's established some crossover support. I wouldn't also rule out her given that midterm electorates are older and whiter; and thus, more Republican in nature.

Uh, Clinton won her district.

And midterms are generally bad for the President's party regardless.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 09:19:54 PM »

She'll be vulnerable, but not because of this poll. It's too early to be putting much stock in polls.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 09:24:26 PM »

I mean that's fair, but that's probably because she previously never had to take a contentious stand on any issue - now she's not only pro-AHCA, but arguably one of its most notable faces.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 09:35:22 PM »

What numbers are you using? Clinton won this district by 5%.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »

You have this district and the 1st confused on the presidential level.  Trump won the 1st by like 1 or 2 points, Clinton easily carried this one.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 09:49:49 PM »

I mean that's fair, but that's probably because she previously never had to take a contentious stand on any issue - now she's not only pro-AHCA, but arguably one of its most notable faces.

"Let's f**king do this!" Is going to be in like every attack ad.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 10:33:54 PM »

You have this district and the 1st confused on the presidential level.  Trump won the 1st by like 1 or 2 points, Clinton easily carried this one.

What numbers are you using? Clinton won this district by 5%.

Sorry, I stand corrected but doesn't that bolster my argument she's harder to knock off than anticipated? If Clinton won by 5 and she by 13 that means she had considerable crossover. It means she's not considered as radical by her constituents as you guys are claiming. Even the Democratic internal is showing her trailing by 0-4 points and we're seeing national polling showing Democrats up double digits.

Clinton won by just over four points here. Also, the cross-over votes that almost every Democrat that lost in 2010 got in 2008 didn't end up mattering a whole lot two years later. Same thing with the Republican incumbents in 2006.

Well it depends on the district. I just don't feel this is a reverse 2010. A lot of blue dogs were in Bush districts and conservative ones. The deep blue ones with Republicans are not that sizable.

"Let's f**king do this!" Is going to be in like every attack ad.

Absolutely but it depends on what the final bill (or if anything) passed at all. Constituents might give her more of a pass if nothing happens and their benefits remain there with no challenge.

Now if the Senate passes a draconian bill I definitely think she'll pay a polotiv price for it.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »

carpetbagging Kirkpatrick down here would be an awful idea
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 11:43:44 PM »

*Against a really weak democratic candidate
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 12:21:30 AM »

Kirkpatrick's senate campaign last year consisted of  "John McCain isn't a leftist on immigration", "I wear cowboy boots", and "Trump!! Palin!!! Waahh!!!", all of which were obvious bad arguments for her election. If she's going to be the nominee, she needs to attend a class on how to campaign first. A long one. And if Heinz is the nominee, then you can start congratulating McSally on her reelection right now. Democrats should just find a new candidate.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 12:51:28 AM »

I'll predict right now that this district is going to be very highly competitive next year, though not necessary to a Democratic Majority in the House any more than OH-15 or PA-06 were to Democrats in 2006.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 01:11:25 AM »

Isn't that like all Arizona democrats though?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 01:20:04 AM »

Friese or Mach run please!

Hell, I'll take a Ron Barber retread.
Klartext89

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 02:56:33 AM »

PPP is no serious polling firm, just look at their Twitter Feed, it's a Dem cheerleader.
PAK Man

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 07:11:22 AM »

I never understood why Democrats didn't seriously challenge her in 2016. She only won her first term by a couple hundred votes, and before that she lost by a couple hundred votes. Plus Clinton won her district. I don't care if she's a great fundraiser - the fact that deterred Democrats from recruiting a serious challenger to her when she had the closest House race in 2014 is inexcusable. I'm glad they're finally going back and taking another look here.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 07:39:02 AM »

No, not really.  Not even close, tbh.  I also like how everyone's suddenly decided Kirkpatrick is the worst candidate ever after most red avatars spent most of 2016 going on about what a high-energy campaign she was running (especially her ads).  

For my part, while I think there are better candidates than Kirkpatrick here, I'd really like to see her run for some sort of statewide office this cycle (ideally a row office).  Yes, she lost to McCain, but McCain is kind of an institution in AZ and 2016 was a Republican wave year.  Kirkpatrick ran a strong, aggressive campaign and did a great job of tying McCain to Trump (one of her ads, the first one about McCain's support for Trump which included the line "there was a time when country first meant something to Senator McCain," was one of the best ads of the cycle).  IIRC, her fundraising was pretty strong too, but I'm not positive about that.  Sometimes you can get the right candidate at the wrong time and in this case, McCain simply wasn't going to lose in a Republican wave.  

It's really a shame Kirkpatrick didn't wait until 2018 and run against Flake as she'd be a much better candidate than Sinema (who has paper-tiger written all over her and plenty of baggage).  It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback or buy into Wulfric's revisionist history of the campaign (especially since this didn't end up being a marquee Senate race in 2016), but doing so is going to lead to some highly inaccurate analysis.  

TL;DR: Kirkpatrick isn't our best candidate for AZ-2 and would probably be attacked for carpet-bagging, but at the same time, we could do a lot worse too.  If 2018 turns out to be a Democratic wave, Kirkpatrick could definitely beat McSally (even there are other candidates if I'd prefer we run) and ran a pretty strong Senate campaign in 2016.  
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »

Certainly not to the extent of Heinz. Remember that Barber had it down to the wire in 2014; he was no FDR, but he certainly wasn't Heinz.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »

Fearless Leader X, 2016 was not a republican wave, as Republicans lost the Senate races in NH, NV, CO, lost NV, VA, CO, NH at the presidential level, lost NC-GOV, and lost a net six house seats.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies