Trump reassures farmers immigration crackdown not aimed at their workers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:08:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump reassures farmers immigration crackdown not aimed at their workers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump reassures farmers immigration crackdown not aimed at their workers  (Read 654 times)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »
« edited: May 15, 2017, 11:17:26 AM by ApatheticAustrian »

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/864142091965927425
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-farmers-trump-idUSKCN18B1BB

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »

Smart
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 11:26:59 AM »

Trumpy isn't going after farm labor because that would jack up the food prices and he knows better to fiddle with that. I haven't heard of major deportation raids in California in the farm country, has anyone?

Can ICE be steered away from farm labor somehow? What's the technical details on that?

Also, this is definitely a prelude to Trump doing a Gang of 8 immigration reform bill in 2018, if he gets that far, if his political capital isn't dead.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:28:29 AM »

Trumpy isn't going after farm labor because that would jack up the food prices and he knows better to fiddle with that. I haven't heard of major deportation raids in California in the farm country, has anyone?

Can ICE be steered away from farm labor somehow? What's the technical details on that?

Also, this is definitely a prelude to Trump doing a Gang of 8 immigration reform bill in 2018, if he gets that far, if his political capital isn't dead.

Isn't that really standard operating procedure now? 
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 11:42:27 AM »

My question is, can Trump direct the ICE to say "OK, we'll go after x and y but not economically important industries," such as farm labor? That's what I'm wondering, how the legality of that order would be or how it would be worded/drafted. I've not heard anything on that front.

FWIW, I don't disagree with his deportations here at all. The motivation may be ugly but legally speaking, illegal immigrants are illegal immigrants and they make a mockery of the rule of law - a law we were supposed to uphold since 1986's amnesty. (Which was supposed to solve that issue and we were supposed to enforce the law on illegal immigration since then)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 11:46:53 AM »

My question is, can Trump direct the ICE to say "OK, we'll go after x and y but not economically important industries," such as farm labor? That's what I'm wondering, how the legality of that order would be or how it would be worded/drafted. I've not heard anything on that front.
Enforcement priorities can be spun in any number of ways.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »

FWIW, I don't disagree with his deportations here at all. The motivation may be ugly but legally speaking, illegal immigrants are illegal immigrants and they make a mockery of the rule of law - a law we were supposed to uphold since 1986's amnesty. (Which was supposed to solve that issue and we were supposed to enforce the law on illegal immigration since then)

Well, let's put it this way, he can have his ICE chief direct points of emphasis........he's doing it now without legal repercussions.  So yeah, carefully done, it can be done, and probably was being done by Obama too.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »

He just said what the people right in front of him wanted to hear. It doesn't mean anything, because that's all he ever does.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 01:30:46 PM »

Enforcement priorities can be spun in any number of ways.

Exactly. I'm not a big fan of deprioritizing a certain industry's illegal adults while splitting up families with legal-resident children, of course, but ICE can and does make decisions about who to pursue with limited resources
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »

He just said what the people right in front of him wanted to hear. It doesn't mean anything, because that's all he ever does.

This is a very accurate statement about our dear President.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 11:00:06 PM »

Yup, tough immigration policies are the best way to leave those who do manage to come to work here in the state of a permanent underclass. The idea that it "protects American workers" is a complete lies. Open borders is the only pro-worker policy.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 11:32:30 PM »

Yup, tough immigration policies are the best way to leave those who do manage to come to work here in the state of a permanent underclass. The idea that it "protects American workers" is a complete lies. Open borders is the only pro-worker policy.

You could also close the borders, while guaranteeing full rights (including right to reside, though perhaps not citizenship) to those already working here. But that wouldn't fit the 1%'s need for an underclass they can exploit to their own benefit (and the detriment of citizen labor).
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 06:45:56 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies