Berserk sports fan to die for wife's slaying
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:00:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Berserk sports fan to die for wife's slaying
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Berserk sports fan to die for wife's slaying  (Read 1585 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2005, 11:28:41 AM »

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8827346/

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - A man who got angry with his wife because she wanted to cuddle after sex when he wanted to watch sports on television was sentenced to death for killing her with a claw hammer.

Christopher Offord, 30, was sentenced Wednesday by Circuit Judge Dedee Costello, who said the brutality of the crime outweighed any mental problems Offord may have had.

“The defendant struck his wife approximately 70 individual blows after spending a happy interlude with her,” the judge said. “Her desire to cuddle after sex does not justify the extremely violent, brutal response of the defendant.”

Offord pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in the 2004 slaying of Dana Noser, 40, at his apartment.

He confessed to a bartender at a sports bar before his arrest. He told investigators that his wife had been nagging him to come back to bed.

Offord did not speak in court but said in a jailhouse interview in June: “I figured I killed her so I deserve to die.”

Slightly off topic: Question for the anti-death penalty people -  since he feels he deserves death as punishment is the death penalty justifiable in this case?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 11:33:06 AM »

Slightly off topic: Question for the anti-death penalty people -  since he feels he deserves death as punishment is the death penalty justifiable in this case?

No. That he wants death is a very good arguement against the death penalty.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 11:34:11 AM »

Slightly off topic: Question for the anti-death penalty people -  since he feels he deserves death as punishment is the death penalty justifiable in this case?

So if he didn't want death, it would be justified?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 11:43:07 AM »

no becuase then its wrong.

"You dont sanction life by ending it."

--John F. Kerry

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

--Ghandi
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 12:00:54 PM »

"You dont sanction life by ending it."

--John F. Kerry

If I kill someone attempting to murder a group of children, am I not sanctioning their lives? Besides, you're not getting anywhere with me by quoting John Kerry - corrupt career politician. Quote great men, not liars and hypocrites. Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well if the first eye taker would just not take the eye in the first place we wouldn't have a problem now would we? While I respect what Ghandi did, and he was definitely a great man, he did have his foolish points - for instance there's this little number:

"Hitler killed five million Jews. It is the greatest crime of our time. But the Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher’s knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs… It would have aroused the world and the people of Germany… As it is they succumbed anyway in their millions." - Ghandi

Sorry, but the Jews should have fought with all their might. What was happening to them was pretty much hidden from most people - going along with it would not make it any better. Non-violence only works when your enemies feel shame. And really, by no means is committing suicide sanctioning life - suicide only means you hold life as having no value.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 12:02:44 PM »

I don't think the death penalty is ever justified
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 12:11:01 PM »

This is another crime that, because of its extreme brutality, just screams out for the death penalty. It is a just and fitting punishment for a  senseless brutal murder.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 12:39:54 PM »

WTF? Why give this er what he wants? Let him rot in jail for eternity like he deserves.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 12:47:05 PM »

See, it used to be that you could put a posse together to go after these kind of people, but we're not allowed to do that anymore.

As to the Kerry quote - disclaimer: "does not apply in the case of abortion." Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 12:47:48 PM »

WTF? Why give this er what he wants? Let him rot in jail for eternity like he deserves.

Well, just consider this as an extention of your logic - say he wants to go to jail for his crime, or simply wants to be punished. Do we not give him what he wants and let him off free, or do we send him to jail anyways?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 02:20:57 PM »

Well, just consider this as an extention of your logic - say he wants to go to jail for his crime, or simply wants to be punished. Do we not give him what he wants and let him off free, or do we send him to jail anyways?

Well, Im sure most people would rather be set free, and that is not an option. Obviously, if someone would rather go to jail, and that's what the law says, the law should be abided. But we shouldnt put someone to death just because that's what they want.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 02:27:40 PM »

Well, Im sure most people would rather be set free, and that is not an option. Obviously, if someone would rather go to jail, and that's what the law says, the law should be abided. But we shouldnt put someone to death just because that's what they want.

Well, yeah, but at the same time his crime is one that would normally be applicable for death penalty sentencing. Personally, I think the justice system just needs to ignore what the criminal wants unless they think he wants that to commit some other crime again - simply go with the suitable punishment and be done with it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 02:37:21 PM »

Well, yeah, but at the same time his crime is one that would normally be applicable for death penalty sentencing. Personally, I think the justice system just needs to ignore what the criminal wants unless they think he wants that to commit some other crime again - simply go with the suitable punishment and be done with it.

They should ignore what he wants, and do whatever the legal system applies in this case, although I'm pretty much against the death penalty as is, except for maybe war criminals.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 02:42:49 PM »

They should ignore what he wants, and do whatever the legal system applies in this case, although I'm pretty much against the death penalty as is, except for maybe war criminals.

Well, I'd say that by the law this is certainly something that would have the death penalty as an option.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 02:47:14 PM »

Well, I'd say that by the law this is certainly something that would have the death penalty as an option.

As long as it's not his option
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 02:48:59 PM »

As long as it's not his option

Right, he gets no say in the matter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies