S8: Free Range Prison Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:40:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S8: Free Range Prison Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S8: Free Range Prison Act  (Read 1070 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »
« edited: May 15, 2017, 01:50:30 PM by Speaker fhtagn »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsored by dfwlibertylover and Ben Kenobi

JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »

Why didn't I think of this?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 02:06:56 PM »

I thought it was all frivolous legislation. Wink
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 02:09:29 PM »

I don't know if this is a joke or not.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »

Not a joke.

It was actually written by DFW quite some time ago. He asked me to introduce this on his behalf last term.

Took awhile for me to get to it, but here it is.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 02:35:57 PM »

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »

wait what
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »

Mr. Cuber and Mr. Kenobi are basically BFFs now.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 03:17:31 PM »

This could be an interesting idea. I'd like to it tried on a small scale before we begin construction on a large project.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 05:46:53 PM »

I'd be game for that. How big were you thinking of Southern Gothic?
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 06:12:03 PM »

I'm not entirely opposed to this but I think it's kinda dumb
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »

How so? It appears that we are all willing to discuss and amend this, but we can't do that without ideas.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 07:00:50 PM »

How so? It appears that we are all willing to discuss and amend this, but we can't do that without ideas.
I just think the whole idea is a bit silly, like "f*** you, you committed a violent crime, go scavenge for food Smiley"
I agree with SG though that we shouldn't start with a large-scale thing, I'm willing to try a small one to see if it works, though.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 07:06:48 PM »

One thing is that it could be used as an alternative. Prisoners wanting a different kind of prison could request to be sent here. I think that would have a better outcome if prisoners felt they had a say into their conditions.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 07:47:16 PM »

One thing is that it could be used as an alternative. Prisoners wanting a different kind of prison could request to be sent here. I think that would have a better outcome if prisoners felt they had a say into their conditions.

I like this idea.

Also, if you think about it, this bill is giving prisoners the chance to learn new things, and be in a much more freeing environment than rotting in cells. They're still contained, but can you imagine the difference in quality of life?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 08:32:13 PM »

What about tent cities like Sheriff Joe had?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 10:35:17 PM »

Okay, in the hopes that this is a joke, please stop this. Otherwise: I am a HUGE supporter of rehabilitation. This is not rehabilitation. This is buying up land the size of Connecticut, building a WestWorld type encampment, and then gearing them up for "survival". This is the plot of a reality TV show, not a governmental policy.

Addressing this, as if it was real, let's talk cost. So let's assume this is a 5,000 mi^2 square. That's a perimeter of about 280mi. Okay, so then going on to the fence. If we are abiding by a 50ft high, and 6ft thick wall all around, multiplied by the perimeter's length (1,478,400 ft), that's a wall volume of: 443,520,000 ft^3 (I wish I had an exponent key, apologies). For reference, let's look at the wall that Trump is proposing, or at least an idea of what he's proposing: a 40-foot-tall, 7-foot-deep, 10-inch-thick, and 1,000-mile-long. Just going on that, that's a volume of 206,799,999 ft^3. Less than half of what this proposal would do. The proposal I just presented, as studied by the research group Bernstein found that a conservative estimate of this wall would cost roughly $20B, not counting labor costs, land acquisition costs, and maintenance. Going by that standard, for just building the surrounding wall, it will cost roughly $43B.

Now, I don't claim to be a numbers expert, but going on the basis of cost benefit - I don't see how creating a WestWorld type encampment for prisoners is anywhere near worth $43B. I will get into the fallacies of logistics tomorrow, if needed, but I will just state that the estimated maintenance of JUST Trump's wall (none of the border control costs, etc.) is estimated to be an $750M annually. Make that about $1.6B for this here.

I do not feel comfortable in any circumstance spending tens of billions of taxpayer money so that we can give inmates a Hunger Games like, survival experience. While there are so many more issues that we need to reform in our criminal justice system, a lack of ability for prisoners to kill each other is not one of them.

My sincere hope is that this is just a joke, and we can get to the serious legislation soon in our short lives.

JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 10:37:49 PM »

Okay, in the hopes that this is a joke, please stop this. Otherwise: I am a HUGE supporter of rehabilitation. This is not rehabilitation. This is buying up land the size of Connecticut, building a WestWorld type encampment, and then gearing them up for "survival". This is the plot of a reality TV show, not a governmental policy.

Addressing this, as if it was real, let's talk cost. So let's assume this is a 5,000 mi^2 square. That's a perimeter of about 280mi. Okay, so then going on to the fence. If we are abiding by a 50ft high, and 6ft thick wall all around, multiplied by the perimeter's length (1,478,400 ft), that's a wall volume of: 443,520,000 ft^3 (I wish I had an exponent key, apologies). For reference, let's look at the wall that Trump is proposing, or at least an idea of what he's proposing: a 40-foot-tall, 7-foot-deep, 10-inch-thick, and 1,000-mile-long. Just going on that, that's a volume of 206,799,999 ft^3. Less than half of what this proposal would do. The proposal I just presented, as studied by the research group Bernstein found that a conservative estimate of this wall would cost roughly $20B, not counting labor costs, land acquisition costs, and maintenance. Going by that standard, for just building the surrounding wall, it will cost roughly $43B.

Now, I don't claim to be a numbers expert, but going on the basis of cost benefit - I don't see how creating a WestWorld type encampment for prisoners is anywhere near worth $43B. I will get into the fallacies of logistics tomorrow, if needed, but I will just state that the estimated maintenance of JUST Trump's wall (none of the border control costs, etc.) is estimated to be an $750M annually. Make that about $1.6B for this here.

I do not feel comfortable in any circumstance spending tens of billions of taxpayer money so that we can give inmates a Hunger Games like, survival experience. While there are so many more issues that we need to reform in our criminal justice system, a lack of ability for prisoners to kill each other is not one of them.

My sincere hope is that this is just a joke, and we can get to the serious legislation soon in our short lives.

I was mostly joking, but I'm catching a bit of ancap syndrome from my brother (help), although I'm definitely not gonna vote for it lol
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 10:57:07 PM »

Eh, it's actually more plausible than you might think.

It would have to house 350k inmates, half the south's jail population. Being that size it would cost half the current prison budget to build.

That is about 1/10th the population density of Connecticut.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 10:58:57 PM »

We'd probably come out ahead selling half the southern prisons to build this and selling the former prison lands for redevelopment.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 11:03:11 PM »

Eh, it's actually more plausible than you might think.

It would have to house 350k inmates, half the south's jail population. Being that size it would cost half the current prison budget to build.

That is about 1/10th the population density of Connecticut.
There's also maintenance, labor costs, etc, and the fact that that wouldn't work anyway
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »

I propose we try this on a significantly smaller scale. Convert one of our existing prisons to something like this, house less than 1,000 it and see if it is an effective program.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 11:44:56 AM »

I propose we try this on a significantly smaller scale. Convert one of our existing prisons to something like this, house less than 1,000 it and see if it is an effective program.
As I said before, I'd be kinda willing to do that but it HAS to be voluntary.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 01:07:26 PM »

Agreed with SG and JTC, smaller scale, convert an existing prison, make it voluntary.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 01:12:29 PM »

no but I seriously don't remember writing this??
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies