Trump: exercise is bad, people are like batteries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:33:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: exercise is bad, people are like batteries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump: exercise is bad, people are like batteries  (Read 2654 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »

Trump: exercise is bad, because people are like batteries

Uhhhmmmm...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-thinks-exercise-bad-depletes-limited-energy-195234796.html

Please tell me we can at least all agree this is factually wrong.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 03:58:57 PM »

"Look, I'm not saying I agree with Trump 100% on this, but at least he's starting a dialogue about viewpoints and possibilities that weren't being discussed before because they were deemed too 'unpopular' or 'not politically correct.' "
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Even after all the amazingly dumb, idiotic things Trump has said since 2015, somehow this hits at a deeper level of stupidity, a level of stupidity I haven't often associated with him for some reason. It's actually kind of fascinating to think about what goes on in Trump's head.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 04:06:03 PM »

His commendable refrain from using alcohol and his weird obsession drinking a hundred diet cokes is why he can work 16+ hours a day, not because he doesn't exercise. 
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 04:07:54 PM »

His commendable refrain from using alcohol and his weird obsession drinking a hundred diet cokes is why he can work 16+ hours a day, not because he doesn't exercise.  

I've also read that he has that biological/genetic thing where he naturally sleeps only a few hours each night.

The exercise statement is still absurdly stupid.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 06:37:24 PM »

That's moronic and I hope that even T***p's most passionate groupies know better than to trust him for life advice, but in fairness, the modern obsession with celebrating "fitness" is awful and there's nothing wrong if someone doesn't want to exercise.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 06:38:09 PM »

I mean, it would explain a lot about him
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »

...in fairness, the modern obsession with celebrating "fitness" is awful and there's nothing wrong if someone doesn't want to exercise.

Physical prowess should be supported by our country as much as mental ability. If "not everyone is meant to be a 5K runner," well guess what, not everyone is meant to be a white collar worker. That doesn't mean we should abandon health standards altogether.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 10:56:10 PM »

...in fairness, the modern obsession with celebrating "fitness" is awful and there's nothing wrong if someone doesn't want to exercise.

Physical prowess should be supported by our country as much as mental ability. If "not everyone is meant to be a 5K runner," well guess what, not everyone is meant to be a white collar worker. That doesn't mean we should abandon health standards altogether.

Well, of course there should be some standards. But that doesn't give the ~healthy lifestyle~ freaks the right to police people's behavior and scold anyone who doesn't feel like running a marathon every week.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 07:37:19 AM »

dumbest President ever
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 07:48:47 AM »

Isn't it obvious that Trump does not exercise just by looking at him?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 07:54:21 AM »

Does a picture exists of Trump with his short off?

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 07:55:22 AM »

Does a picture exists of Trump with his short off?

I certainly hope not!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 09:30:59 AM »

Oh man, I've literally been saying this my whole life, not even trolling. There is nothing stupider than exercise. I will never partake!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »

I really hope Trump takes this to a new level, and orders himself to be carried around on a recliner while eating bunches of grapes like a fat Roman patrician.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »

"Look, I'm not saying I agree with Trump 100% on this, but at least he's starting a dialogue about viewpoints and possibilities that weren't being discussed before because they were deemed too 'unpopular' or 'not politically correct.' "

You won't die young because you ran an Ironman triathlon, but you might have a hip replacement by your fifties. Running is good for your heart, but awful on your joints. (I love to run but I treat it as a vice.)

This is true of a lot of extreme sports and obsessive exercise regimens, so in a sense Trump isn't wrong. It's unhealthful to be sedentary and fat, but no one should delude themselves into believing that there is no long-term downside to an activity just because it is exercise and exercise is supposed to be virtuous. Someone who walks for a few hours each day has better long-term prospects than the person who swears by their daily run.

Didn't take long!
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »

Well, of course there should be some standards. But that doesn't give the ~healthy lifestyle~ freaks the right to police people's behavior and scold anyone who doesn't feel like running a marathon every week.

Where is this even happening? I think you're heavily overstating this 'problem'
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »

Oh man, I've literally been saying this my whole life, not even trolling. There is nothing stupider than exercise. I will never partake!

The epitome of Atlas
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 09:50:03 AM »

The epitome of Atlas

I thought the quote below was original from an illustrious President of the U of Chicago, my alma mater, but apparently not.

"Whenever I feel an urge to EXERCISE I lie down until it goes away." This observation is often attributed to Mark Twain. It certainly "sounds like" the sedentary author. Others who get credit for the witticism include W. C. Fields, animator Paul Terry, and--most often--former University of Chicago president Robert Maynard Hutchins.

According to biographer Harry S. Ashmore, this line originated with humorist J. P. McEvoy and was one of many that Hutchins squirreled away to use at appropriate moments. In a 1938 profile of Hutchins, McEvoy himself wrote in American Mercury, "He holds with that hero who confessed: 'The secret of my abundant health is that whenever the impulse to exercise comes over me, I lie down until it passes away.'" If "that hero" was McEvoy himself, he wouldn't be the first writer to put his own words in an anonymous mouth.

A version of this line ("Every time I think of exercise, I have to lie right down 'til the feeling leaves me.") appeared in the 1939 movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, whose screenplay was written by Sidney Buchman.

Verdict: Not Twain, not Hutchins, more likely J. P. McEvoy.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »

The epitome of Atlas

(In fairness, I am excluding sport - volleyball/tennis/basketball are excellent. That is where I diverge with Trump. But exercise without competition or made-up competition like lifting or running/training is dumb)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 10:31:27 AM »

You won't die young because you ran an Ironman triathlon, but you might have a hip replacement by your fifties. Running is good for your heart, but awful on your joints. (I love to run but I treat it as a vice.)

That's why I do the elliptical. Not as good of a workout, but I don't have to worry about injuries or long term damage. Also don't have to worry about whether it's raining or if there is snow on the ground or if it's 95 degrees out. And treadmills are too loud.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »

This is true of a lot of extreme sports and obsessive exercise regimens, so in a sense Trump isn't wrong. It's unhealthful to be sedentary and fat, but no one should delude themselves into believing that there is no long-term downside to an activity just because it is exercise and exercise is supposed to be virtuous. Someone who walks for a few hours each day has better long-term prospects than the person who swears by their daily run.

Didn't take long!

The Ironman remark is the only specific cited in the piece and it's well known that those events are a health risk on account of injuries and long-term stresses on the body. Forgive me for posting a relevant clarification rather than indulging in yet another round of mindless guffaws.

Ok, I forgive you.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »

I see two possibilities here:

Option 1: Trump supporters follow Trump's advice, exercise less, and end up getting pre-existing conditions like obesity more often. Then they'll have to pay more for insurance under the AHCA!

Option 2: Trump is actually on to something:

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »

Anything that he doesn't like he considers to be bad.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »

but in fairness, the modern obsession with celebrating "fitness" is awful and there's nothing wrong if someone doesn't want to exercise.

It means a shorter time on Earth with a reduced quality of life whilst there, so, actually...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies