Congress and Stock Trading--- Conflict of Interest?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:52:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congress and Stock Trading--- Conflict of Interest?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congress and Stock Trading--- Conflict of Interest?  (Read 144 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »

Anyone see this report yesterday on Politico regarding Us Congress Members, of both parties who have done an extremely large amount of stock trading in the past two years, many of whom are members of committees where it might well appear that they are taking personal financial advantage off of information that is not publicly accessible in many cases, or where they have a key role in determining policy and legislative outcomes?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/14/congress-stock-trading-conflict-of-interest-rules-238033

Does anyone see any of their members of Congress referenced, and if so how does that change your opinion about their individual morals and ethics?

Should such financial transactions be prohibited legislatively?

Fortunately the problem is not totally pervasive, but when I see six Senators and 28 House members making that volume of financial distractions it is quite concerning....

My thought is that all of the major violators need to be held accountable and voted out in their next election, regardless of Party affiliation or if it is a safe (D) or sage (R) district, either primary them or vote them out in the General....

I think this is one item that most of Americans and most of Atlas likely agrees is completely unacceptable, and these "bad apples" are part of the reason why Americans are so cynical about Politics....  When many of those "running the shop" look like they are on the take from Special Interest $$$ going directly into their Bank account through stock investment where they have inside knowledge and power and control to shape policy?

This is not normal family finances....

Anyways---- your thoughts?Huh

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 10:36:06 PM »

They should be required to either put their assets in a blind trust or, at least, not be permitted to purchase or sell stocks in specific companies or specific bonds (i.e. they could only buy index funds).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies